A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Not as much time to fish so far this season as I'd like. Boat is currently at the painters so hopefully I get a few weeks of time on it before the season ends. Managed to find one solid one yesterday on a swim shad, watched her kick off strong right after this photo. Everyone else trolling, no thanks. Ran into albies offshore still and found a few seabass too.
View attachment 119041

Nice fish!!

Take care.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Lets keep this thread alive. Finally done did it today. Put two ghosts in the boat. Watching these fish chase your popper is like nothing else. All worth it. 2 70lb fish in the boat. Bluefin by the way!View attachment 120077
Seriously?
On a coffee grinder?
That must have hurt.
Nice job!
Got a pic of the fish?

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
flounder.jpgHad a narrow window the other day I could fish so I went on a strike mission to a place I've caught drum this time of year in the past. With time crunched my plan was to cast at a few spots that have produced along the way with a particular hole in mind. If said hole, or any of the spots along the way did not produce then turn it around and call it a nice paddle on a beautiful day. It didnt take long to get one on, but it was a flounder instead of the targeted drum. At almost 20"s it was my biggest of the season. Oh fat flattie, were were you beginning of September (our flounder season in NC is only the first 2 weeks in September)? Got to my last spot before turning around and quickly found out it was holding lower/mid slot drum. It wasnt every cast, but not far from it. I didnt count but caught about 8 or so before I had to leave. Something about leaving them biting always feels good. Caught all fish on 3" white Gulp Shrimp and pink Halo Shads and went in feeling like I got this fishing game mastered....until next time proves me otherwise

Note: I only have a short video of a release of one of the drum and this forum doesnt allow me to upload it so only have the flounder pictured.

Reactions: Hump and keenfish

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Got 2 short Stripers on the fly rod after being skunked last 2 days, hopefully the weather stays warm so the short bass will be here till Christmas.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Reactions: mundus

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I hear that, got a dozen Newells that go all the way back to the early 90s and still fish all of 'em.
Easy to service yourself.

This is an older photo so I have traded out the 20# and 30# for Shimano Toriums which I really like.
The 40# is still my favorite. Penn 4/0 with a Tiburon frame. Freespools for days and is bulletproof.
I used to have a Penn International 50SW but I let that one go because I never used it. ;) :foreheadslap:

Reactions: Hump

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
awhile back I had a guy yell down to me far down the rail after I threw iron and he said "was that a newell I heard"? :roflmao:

I have two newells left, a 229 on an old seeker 270 h8 that's great for fishing chovie, and a 332 that's on my 100 j jigstick.

It's really weird casting my torium that's on my other jigstick cause it's silent

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
awhile back I had a guy yell down to me far down the rail after I threw iron and he said "was that a newell I heard"? :roflmao:

I have two newells left, a 229 on an old seeker 270 h8 that's great for fishing chovie, and a 332 that's on my 100 j jigstick.

It's really weird casting my torium that's on my other jigstick cause it's silent
Hahaha! That is so true. You can always tell the sound of a Newell spool but those reels are awesome. They just needed a metal handle crank. So many casualties with that composite handle but probably the best free spooling reel right out of the box ever. At least for it's time.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
It’s all spinning gear unless you’re jigging or chunking. Common for summer yellow fin but not these fish. Casting stickbaits, paddle tails, poppers, and Ron z’s. This fish was on an 18k Saragossa which is overkill. I have an 18k gosa, 14k twin power on the way, older Stella 10k with 16 spool, and 2 8k Stradics. If it’s not obvious I have a tackle buying problem.
C25FD7C4-6005-4B13-8EFF-50EF837412F8.jpeg

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Had a good session on the Paddleboard this morning about a dozen bass with a couple of keepers mixed in. The offshore wind blew out about 2 miles, the paddle in was a slog but worth it since the bass have been staying off the beach.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005

This is an older photo so I have traded out the 20# and 30# for Shimano Toriums which I really like.
The 40# is still my favorite. Penn 4/0 with a Tiburon frame. Freespools for days and is bulletproof.
I used to have a Penn International 50SW but I let that one go because I never used it. ;) :foreheadslap:

Are you getting senile?
You sold that reel to me!
Caught a 110# BF last year on it.