A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Got on a day trip outta Shelter Cove today--beautiful day, little swell running, surf was happening too...thought it was gonna be pretty much bottom fish all day. Well, limited on bottom fish pretty quickly so thought we might as well try some mooching for salmon since we still had time left. Nobody else is fishing for salmon now, they've gone to the rivers, right? Well, no they haven't, caught these beauties in 60' of water, biggest went 27#s...Great day on the water!
View attachment 116730
Show us your smoker.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Show us your smoker.
I smoke salmon in a Weber...works pretty good 'cause you can shut the Weber down pretty tight. I'll go grab some fresh Alder branches and cut 'em into small chunks, soak them for a minute in a bucket of water while I get some coals going. Then just put the salmon on an aluminum boat, skin side down, paint 'em with some Soy Vay or some such, push the coals up to one side, throw the Alder on there, tighten down the Weber with just enough air to keep it going, a couple hours later, done.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Decent summer still going despite the date. Been finding mahi all over inshore/midshore. Mostly spearing them but few fun ones on rod and reel. Lost a good striped bass on the rocks this week but they're only just getting starte

Had another great trip to Block Island in mid August. We only spearfish while there but had a great day to run offshore for mahi there as well and then hit all the usual inshore spots for big trigger, black sea bass, and tog. Eat like kings while we're there.

Heading out tomorrow to see if we can't get a few tuna within range to shoot and definitely find some mahi on the pots further offshore.
BX4Q0143.jpg
65213183553__B5340916-3C4A-416A-B690-F0A81C5ED4D0.JPG

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Our Tyee season ended here on September 15th. and once again I failed to boat anything over 30 lbs.
Here's a little one (24 lbs.) that my pal boated with me one night. I hooked up my other rodman that night too, but he's a ham-handed clutz on a single action reel and broke the fish off. That's twice he's broken off after being hooked up.

RSCN6875.JPG

Below is a smaller one (18 lbs.) that my buddy with the fish above rowed his pal to in my boat one morning.
DSCN6917.JPG

Had five strong strikes with two fish in the boat, which was better than many did I found out during post-season discussions.
I thought I'd had a bad year but my CPUE was really good compared to some. LOL

Take care.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I smoke salmon in a Weber...works pretty good 'cause you can shut the Weber down pretty tight. I'll go grab some fresh Alder branches and cut 'em into small chunks, soak them for a minute in a bucket of water while I get some coals going. Then just put the salmon on an aluminum boat, skin side down, paint 'em with some Soy Vay or some such, push the coals up to one side, throw the Alder on there, tighten down the Weber with just enough air to keep it going, a couple hours later, done.
I have full blown smoker now but used to use Weber to some what smoke but after actually owning smoker I would suggest buying a thermometer. I own the Thermoworks smoke 2x works great for fire and meat. 2nd I would not soak wood plus use fruit woods (apple, etc) chunks and get them burning good and put salmon on when they turn to hot ashes. Same method one side of weber and place salmon other lid closed both top and bottom vents 100% open. You really do need to prepare salmon first best over night but heard 2 hours works: 1:1 kosher salt and brown sugar coated on salmon top bottom. Lightly wash/clean off with towells 24 hours after and if desired season with favorite dry rubs and let sit outside room temp 1 hour before smoking. Smoke at around 125 degrees until salmon is around 100 and then coat sides with apricot jam and smoke done at 125:)

Reactions: Icu812

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Got back from Yakutat Sept. 12.
Killer trip (as always)
1st day Nabbed a couple of halibut in the 100# range (big one by my wife 108#, her personal best) and the rest in the 30-60# range.
2 day a little slower but got on a black cod spot and limited out in short order
Lots of Silvers on the bay as well as the Situk River.
Came home with 2 50# boxes of Halibut, Silver Salmon and Black Cod fillets, been eating a lot of fish last 2 weeks.

My wife puttn' the wood to her big flatty
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

The other big one
IMG_0747.jpg

Full box
IMG_0750.jpg

Here's the rig we charter every year
IMG_0814.jpg

Sunset on Monte Bay with Mt. St. Elias in the background
IMG_0811.jpg

One of the holes we fished on the Situk
IMG_0817.jpg

Morning's limit

IMG_0818.jpg

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Decent summer still going despite the date. Been finding mahi all over inshore/midshore. Mostly spearing them but few fun ones on rod and reel. Lost a good striped bass on the rocks this week but they're only just getting starte

Had another great trip to Block Island in mid August. We only spearfish while there but had a great day to run offshore for mahi there as well and then hit all the usual inshore spots for big trigger, black sea bass, and tog. Eat like kings while we're there.

Heading out tomorrow to see if we can't get a few tuna within range to shoot and definitely find some mahi on the pots further offshore.
View attachment 116760
View attachment 116761
You are my new hero! Way to slay sir. :bowdown:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

View attachment 116760
View attachment 116761
Awesome! Did not know anyone did this in the NE/NJ. You have one of those guns with the reel attached or some sort of sling?

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Awesome! Did not know anyone did this in the NE/NJ. You have one of those guns with the reel attached or some sort of sling?
A lot more people than you'd think. Always a handful around in the inlets and jetties. I have a sling but finally got myself a proper gun, christened it today on a bunch of mahi

We got way out there today. No tuna, but another cooler full of mahi and the coolest part of the day was finding a solid 40-50lbs wahoo.

Reactions: mundus and keenfish

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
A lot more people than you'd think. Always a handful around in the inlets and jetties. I have a sling but finally got myself a proper gun, christened it today on a bunch of mahi

We got way out there today. No tuna, but another cooler full of mahi and the coolest part of the day was finding a solid 40-50lbs wahoo.
I meant the offshore stuff, used to do bit when we still had jetties. Congrats on the Wahoo! Water is looking nice, how far you have to run 30 line?

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Mudhole or into Chicken Canyon to find lobster pots and just hop in on the hi fliers and poly balls. Yesterday we went to the tip of the Hudson.

Reactions: mundus

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Best time of year here. Couple clear days to dive and some great days in the front and back. Had all the blues you could want on the NE wind last week with the new moon. Bass in the back along the sod banks. This week got the SUP out to chase some false albacore too.
IMG_5690.jpg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Best time of year here. Couple clear days to dive and some great days in the front and back. Had all the blues you could want on the NE wind last week with the new moon. Bass in the back along the sod banks. This week got the SUP out to chase some false albacore too.
View attachment 117454
which euro is that? I’ve got the 130 enclosed track for open water stuff but want a shortie for shallow halibut and the 110 is still too long. Maybe a little midhandle would be ideal.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
It's the 90. Kind of an in between. I've shot the 75, 90, and 120. I honestly would love one of each for various things. The 75 for getting into rock holes around here would be epic but wanted something with a bit more power.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
Got back from Yakutat Sept. 12.
Killer trip (as always)
1st day Nabbed a couple of halibut in the 100# range (big one by my wife 108#, her personal best) and the rest in the 30-60# range.
2 day a little slower but got on a black cod spot and limited out in short order
Lots of Silvers on the bay as well as the Situk River.
Came home with 2 50# boxes of Halibut, Silver Salmon and Black Cod fillets, been eating a lot of fish last 2 weeks.

My wife puttn' the wood to her big flatty
View attachment 116767

View attachment 116768

The other big one
View attachment 116769

Full box
View attachment 116770

Here's the rig we charter every year
View attachment 116771

Sunset on Monte Bay with Mt. St. Elias in the background
View attachment 116772

One of the holes we fished on the Situk
View attachment 116773

Morning's limit

View attachment 116774
some badass halibut right there, nice catches

I caught a 90# in Alaska on a very rough day this past august and thought my forearms were going to pop, they're no joke

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Kind of a frustrating morning, up in the dark, waded the flats with flyrod topwater, had a bunch of blowups no hookups. As soon as sun came up the bite died.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Not as much time to fish so far this season as I'd like. Boat is currently at the painters so hopefully I get a few weeks of time on it before the season ends. Managed to find one solid one yesterday on a swim shad, watched her kick off strong right after this photo. Everyone else trolling, no thanks. Ran into albies offshore still and found a few seabass too.
IMG_6002.JPG