A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Kinda slow out the front. The occasional cutlassfish/ribbonfish, and kinda not much else, a lower-slot trout here and there...

Road trip for Labor Day to see the folks. Got to Sebastian before the sun on Saturday. Saw some guy leaving, asked him if he caught anything, he said no, too crowded. Didn't even look that bad by Sebastian standards. But the water felt like mid-low 70s, upwelled, and there wasn't much in the way of bait, zero mullet...

Cruised to the Lagoon thinking the ocean water will warm up in there, bit seemed okay. Got some trout, and also a catfish, which is almost unheard of on artificials.

Sunday was slow, tried at dusk, missed a good snook/redfish or small tarpon on account of the size of the boil and no teeth marks on the soft plastic. Massive schools of mullet working the shoreline on dark.

Monday, was going to get up early again, but since Sunday night was a bust, decided to sleep. Got up to South Brevard at the crack of 12:30 or so.

Saw some purple blotches, got the gear, started casting. Got a small jack and several hits. Saw enough action in the first trough I went for the flyrod. 8wt, blue/green Clouser.

Pain in the ass keeping the line from tangling in the shorebreak, and a little bit of weed in close. Missed some Spannies and jacks, then got a good glass minnow school and yanked two solid sized ladyfish out of them, say like 24-28". Fought like hell on fly; should have had the 5wt but it's snook time of year and tarpon are around, so...

DSCF6175.JPG
ladyfish.jpg

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
On a previously happier Labor day:View attachment 97534

capnquint.com

Nice Labor Day nookie. Did you tie that fly? I lucked into this guy this past Labor Day weekend. ODFW opened chinook back up for just Saturday and Sunday. Caught a couple coho jacks, tied on a bigger size 7 Stinger Squid, and had this guy rip off some line 3rd cast. Had smoked belly for breakfast this morning

Nook.jpg

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
Nice Labor Day nookie. Did you tie that fly? I lucked into this guy this past Labor Day weekend. ODFW opened chinook back up for just Saturday and Sunday. Caught a couple coho jacks, tied on a bigger size 7 Stinger Squid, and had this guy rip off some line 3rd cast. Had smoked belly for breakfast this morning

View attachment 97556
Bed of your truck pics are always impressive in so many ways! Nice work Warble.

Another fallking ROTUND fish - there's been good ocean conditions, biblical bait balls in all the estuaries and they're clearly eating well. Also seeing less pressure with the smoke & new regulations.

Yeah I tie each of those clousers with painstaking love & evil intentions. I freak everytime one of em gets a grab.

My salmon virgin client yesterday went 0 for 2, second one got taken by a fvcking seal as we were trying to net it (wistful Clint Eastwood grimace).

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Mullet run in full effect, some small blues popping on them, didn't want to hit.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
This guy I was talking to before he went out speargun fishing, said there hadn’t been any halibuts he’s seen in many years worth catching. Said in the 80’s it was wide open. I talked some fishing story w him for a bit before he went out. I had told him my campsite number prior to his going out and said if he caught a big one to come on by, that today was his lucky day I was sure! 30 mins later he comes up with this door, 40”!
Slaymaster!878DF424-9BDA-48EE-B427-7702262DC22D.jpeg

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
OK erbb, pics or it didn’t happen,
mmmmk?
it’s just a fish story then, me want to see pics please!:trout::jamon:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
OK erbb, pics or it didn’t happen,
mmmmk?
it’s just a fish story then, me want to see pics please!:trout::jamon:
Dont't take pics, believe it or not your choice. A mid size bluefish is nothing special to claim about. To add, I have a hard enough time not spilling coffee on my phone when driving to work I don't dare take it to the beach.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal9000

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Spent the week chasing salmon. While not super hot (best day was 5 fish on in a few hours) was still pretty good, and this year they are bigger as the pinks aren't in competing for food. Best of the bunch here, and yes I need to fix my washdown pump as the bloody floor will attest.

View attachment 98237
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but has anyone told you your chick looks kind of like a rabbit?

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
Spent the week chasing salmon. While not super hot (best day was 5 fish on in a few hours) was still pretty good, and this year they are bigger as the pinks aren't in competing for food. Best of the bunch here, and yes I need to fix my washdown pump as the bloody floor will attest.

View attachment 98237
atsa bloody big boat. wild coho are all let-go-hos down here, but so fun on the fly.

Reactions: SirKooksALot