A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
So, at least now if I ever need bait I'll know where to get it from. Ha ha.

Here's me and a small one from last year's Tyee season. Only 26 lbs. and what we call an undersize.

Needs to be 30 lbs. to be a Tyee.

Got to love it when under 30 pound fish are sneered at. LOL

View attachment 93874

Busy sanding on my rowboat as we just got the news that we're good to go for the season, albeit with only one per day from July 15th. until August 31st. and then back to two per day until Sept 15th. the end of our season.

Throwing it out there that...once you guys can come up again.........if any of you were around my neck of the woods in August I'd be stocked to take you out.

Keep it in mind.

Take care.
Looking good Hump! That is a dandy I don't care what you say. :)

And now that you floated the offer out I just might have to find a way to take you up on it brother! :shaka:

Reactions: Hump

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Looking good Hump! That is a dandy I don't care what you say. :)

And now that you floated the offer out I just might have to find a way to take you up on it brother! :shaka:

You'd be more than welcome although this year doesn't look good for it.

As long as I'm able to row I'll be rowing, so maybe sometime for sure.

Take care.

Reactions: keenfish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Okay last post was Wednesday; here is your catch-up.

I basically managed one shitty little jack Thurs/Fri/Sat; although one day I only fished for a few because the lightning was pretty bad.

Sunday I took a little drive down to Matanzas Inlet. Last Summer, I hit on a really good bite with a light-ish Southerly flow, small trade swell, outgoing tide. Lots of Spanish, Ladyfish, and Jacks, fun on fly, and I wanted more. The bar setup was similar but not quite as good, and the fish weren't remotely as thick as last time. I got one small and one kinda small but not bait-sized jacks.

Also had encounters. I saw a turtle, I saw a small-ish ray, and not a stingray or other sand prowler, a small manta or some kind of eagle ray or something. I also got shark prowled. Last year, I could see them cruising the very edge of the bar, but they wouldn't come up on it. The top was like barely shin to knee deep. This year, it was way more gradual, with a fair bit of more thigh to waist. They came up on it, pack of four or five, about five to six footers. Moved towards me, one went deeper, at least three went shallower. I didn't like the angle one took so I jabbed with the fishing pole, eight foot but really seven with my hand on the reel seat and my arm not even fully extended. It darted all over this way and that, including toward me for a brief second, and as soon as one wasn't in my way, I walked back a bit shallower.

Clueless bathers all around, and complete jet ski choad festival.

I broke my fishing pole on my trip the Gulf, old travel 3-piece, so I got a new one. Went up tonight, figured I'd put on a tiny jig and a piece of fishbites and just mess with miniature stuff, see what will hit it. Got a bunch of little taps but nothing caught. Little piece of fish bites got nibbled off, switched to a plug just to see how the new travel rod throws a small topwater.

Was just zoning out on the walking motion up on the wash, like the very last twitch before that retrieve was over, and it got picked off. Fish fought decently, thought for sure it was a lower-slot redfish (18") but it wound up being a seatrout around 24". Fish was tired because I had the drag soft, light was very, very low, so I wanted to get a fast release and so I have no pics. But top three trout ever and biggest in the surf ever no doubt.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
short fluke/summer flounder off the beach on a bucktail.

short striper off the beach, right in the wash on a sassy shad.

any my cousin hooked a cownose ray and I had to help him get it in so he could get his lure back. Thank god for nets.

11661D73-881C-41B6-9DD3-E33347336C79.jpeg

Was just zoning out on the walking motion up on the wash, like the very last twitch before that retrieve was over, and it got picked off. Fish fought decently, thought for sure it was a lower-slot redfish (18") but it wound up being a seatrout around 24". Fish was tired because I had the drag soft, light was very, very low, so I wanted to get a fast release and so I have no pics. But top three trout ever and biggest in the surf ever no doubt.

I love how, when you're just on autopilot, paying no attention to technique, you hook up to something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Okay last post was Wednesday; here is your catch-up.

I basically managed one shitty little jack Thurs/Fri/Sat; although one day I only fished for a few because the lightning was pretty bad.

Sunday I took a little drive down to Matanzas Inlet. Last Summer, I hit on a really good bite with a light-ish Southerly flow, small trade swell, outgoing tide. Lots of Spanish, Ladyfish, and Jacks, fun on fly, and I wanted more. The bar setup was similar but not quite as good, and the fish weren't remotely as thick as last time. I got one small and one kinda small but not bait-sized jacks.

Also had encounters. I saw a turtle, I saw a small-ish ray, and not a stingray or other sand prowler, a small manta or some kind of eagle ray or something. I also got shark prowled. Last year, I could see them cruising the very edge of the bar, but they wouldn't come up on it. The top was like barely shin to knee deep. This year, it was way more gradual, with a fair bit of more thigh to waist. They came up on it, pack of four or five, about five to six footers. Moved towards me, one went deeper, at least three went shallower. I didn't like the angle one took so I jabbed with the fishing pole, eight foot but really seven with my hand on the reel seat and my arm not even fully extended. It darted all over this way and that, including toward me for a brief second, and as soon as one wasn't in my way, I walked back a bit shallower.

Clueless bathers all around, and complete jet ski choad festival.

I broke my fishing pole on my trip the Gulf, old travel 3-piece, so I got a new one. Went up tonight, figured I'd put on a tiny jig and a piece of fishbites and just mess with miniature stuff, see what will hit it. Got a bunch of little taps but nothing caught. Little piece of fish bites got nibbled off, switched to a plug just to see how the new travel rod throws a small topwater.

I’m in the market for a three piece travel rod, recommendations?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I’m in the market for a three piece travel rod, recommendations?
Assuming pretty light-ish tackle saltwater spinning,

The 7'6" St. Croix look beaut to me at the $260-$280 end of the spectrum.

The Daiwa Ardito are about $130 range at a glance. Daiwa had a better travel rod selection, or at least website layout for finding this, than some others.

Three piece is a good starting point, but spinning or casting, and type of fishing? I don't have any brand loyalty and the travel pre-requisite narrows it down some, so I'd go on what features you want.

I mostly fish the surf and flats on foot with lures, so there's room, and I want casting distance and in the surf, being able to lift more line out of the water so waves/current don't mess up my surface walkers.
Other people fishing really tight mangrove zones or freshwater brooks with trees, or bassin'/snookin' from a boat casting to structure, maybe skipping lures up under docks/branches, want something shorter; most people think shorter rods are better for accuracy.

Reactions: Aruka

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Assuming pretty light-ish tackle saltwater spinning,

The 7'6" St. Croix look beaut to me at the $260-$280 end of the spectrum.

The Daiwa Ardito are about $130 range at a glance. Daiwa had a better travel rod selection, or at least website layout for finding this, than some others.

Three piece is a good starting point, but spinning or casting, and type of fishing? I don't have any brand loyalty and the travel pre-requisite narrows it down some, so I'd go on what features you want.

I mostly fish the surf and flats on foot with lures, so there's room, and I want casting distance and in the surf, being able to lift more line out of the water so waves/current don't mess up my surface walkers.
Other people fishing really tight mangrove zones or freshwater brooks with trees, or bassin'/snookin' from a boat casting to structure, maybe skipping lures up under docks/branches, want something shorter; most people think shorter rods are better for accuracy.
Spinning (have reel). In front of the house (surf). For robalo, jurel, etc. The reason for three piece is it’s a pita to have one piece sent/brought down here unless someone is bringing an 8’ board bag. Thanks.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Spinning (have reel). In front of the house (surf). For robalo, jurel, etc. The reason for three piece is it’s a pita to have one piece sent/brought down here unless someone is bringing an 8’ board bag. Thanks.
I've heard its a big risk to send something down there, it may 'get lost in the mail' somewhere along the way, true?
If I ever make it down that way, I'd be glad to look you up and bring you a rig!

I've always used the Calstar Rods, but usually fish from a boat.