A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Learned a technique in the early 90's called bounce ball fishing for halibut. Similar to trolling for salmon, similar rig, speed, baits, etc. just on the bottom. Slayed quite a few 'flattys' with that method. Been really wanting to get some fishing in, this thread is pulling me in.....

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
And up there in Glacier Bay we were fishing in deep water, maybe 40 fathoms or so, and so it's a real pull to get 'em up to the boat. And the boat is anchored 'cause there's so much current, and you just find the spot and wait for them to come to you. Then pulling the anchor is really cool, they attach a big mooring buoy with a carabiner to the anchor line then drive around in a circle until you hear the chain going through the 'biner, then just pull the line in to get to the anchor. All good unless you snag something...

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Harpoon is the way to go for any big strong fish worth money, much safer as well.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
My friends and I have been going up to Yakutat SE Alaska for 10 days for quite a few years now, last year 2 of them couldn't make it so my friend and I brought the wives up for their first time.
Here's my wife's first halibut (almost #90) Our charter captain won't bring a big halibut on board unless it's dead, he's got this cool little stainless 410 shotgun that he dispatches the fish with before hauling them aboard.
We're bringing the wives back up this year in late August.Karens Halibut.jpgKarens Halibut.jpg

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
My friends and I have been going up to Yakutat SE Alaska for 10 days for quite a few years now, last year 2 of them couldn't make it so my friend and I brought the wives up for their first time.
Here's my wife's first halibut (almost #90) Our charter captain won't bring a big halibut on board unless it's dead, he's got this cool little stainless 410 shotgun that he dispatches the fish with before hauling them aboard.
We're bringing the wives back up this year in late August.View attachment 92847View attachment 92847
Ah yes, the 'bang' stick, seen here on the right.
IMGP1350.JPG

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
that 4k worth of fish at 36$per kilo right now :shaka:
Exactly, and I'm baffled at the C&R thing with some fishermen and good eating fish. Even a just legal halibut, WSB, corbina filleted would be minimum $30 at the market. CA halibut filets are usually $15 up to the mid and high $20s/lb.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I sometimes wonder how much the fish I bring home is worth. Last year we brought home 3 #50 boxes, one with rockfish/ling cod. one with coho salmon and the third halibut. Still have a good amount in the garage freezer. We have fish for dinner at least once a week, I smoke a lot of the cojo as it starts getting closer to our trip.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I can get those prices here at Costco, albertsons, and the local fish market at the harbor as well. They are about right.
I remember when halibut was 10, rock 4-6, salmon 8, back less than 10 yrs ago. More fun to just catch them if you can!

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I can get those prices here at Costco, albertsons, and the local fish market at the harbor as well. They are about right.
I remember when halibut was 10, rock 4-6, salmon 8, back less than 10 yrs ago. More fun to just catch them if you can!
Wild caught chinook (king) salmon goes for $25lb around here.

Just booked a slip at Westport in early August and then they announced halibut season will start the same week. Hooray for dumb luck! Now if we get a decent south swell during that time...

Reactions: JBerry

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Fuvk, not fair..

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Exactly, and I'm baffled at the C&R thing with some fishermen and good eating fish. Even a just legal halibut, WSB, corbina filleted would be minimum $30 at the market. CA halibut filets are usually $15 up to the mid and high $20s/lb.
Typically when I catch a fish I deem worth the work of keeping (12-15#+ red snapper, dolphin, king mackerel, blackfin tuna) I am visiting my parents, going out on my friend's boat in Central Florida. My parents normally want to have dinner plans made 10-20 years in advance, so "I'll see what I catch if I catch" is a good way to ruin my weekend. Then I'd have to get a cooler, get ice for it, drain and change it probably 5-6 times, to eat a fish caught Saturday-day on Monday evening. Then I have to go buy a vac-bagger and freeze the rest, and I've seen plenty of fish in the grocery store, nevermind the market, probably commercially flash-frozen, that's the match of home-frozen fish.

Otherwise, to go through the hassle for an inshore fish, by the time I get done getting a cooler, getting ice for it, putting the ice in it, lugging it around, cleaning the fish, washing out the cooler, cooking the fish, and doing the dishes, I'd be better off going to a restaurant and ordering fish. It's easily an hour of work and I'm not spending an hour's worth of work ordering fish at 99.9% of restaurants that would seat me. Nevermind cooking prepped fish at home. I can go get a salmon fillet, put some oil on it, butter, lemon, white wine, herbs of my choosing, done with hilariously less work/time spent.

Unless it's a full on, waste the whole day purposely fishing, 30-45+ minute run offshore, I want to take some bong rips, grab a few lures and flies and the pliers, and just go. I don't want a stringer of fish hanging off me when I'm wading, turning to dogshit in 80 degree water, and probably getting picked off by a shark, scaring the living sh!t out of me, at minimum. I don't want to lug a cooler all the damn way down onto the beach, then have to keep my head on a swivel to prevent someone from stealing/dumping/being human it because I was more than 5 feet away and they didn't know it was mine although they're mad at me for calling them the son of a jizz dumpster from 150 yards away after the 4th time they looked at me screaming at them to leave my property be.