A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Surf related because surf is flat.

What's everyone catching lately? I've gotten a few short fluke (summer flounder) off piers and rocks.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
First go at surf perch recently, nothing. Wasn't in the best zone, but surf was good, so that was the deciding factor as to where I was fishing.
Trout and bass in the lakes and streams!

Not to hijack, but what kinds of kayaks do any of you all use in the ocean? Is 10' too short (that size is better for transporting/handling)?

Reactions: hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
First go at surf perch recently, nothing. Wasn't in the best zone, but surf was good, so that was the deciding factor as to where I was fishing.

Not to hijack, but what kinds of kayaks do any of you all use in the ocean? Is 10' too short (that size is better for transporting/handling)?
Not sure about ocean but I ran into a guy from work the other day, he’s been using a Hobie foot paddler in back bays and estuaries getting fluke

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Catching fluke in the river I live on, the striper bite in the back has slowed down and only seem to biting after dark on certain tides. As for the bluefish, it has been a weak run this season as opposed to others. The water temp in the surf is about right for stripers and should turn on. The bluefin Tuna are inshore for the boat guys.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I need to get some clams in the water for fluke, plenty of them in our back channels and inlets, but fishing off a pier with bait is so, i don't know, boring.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008

Surf perch fishing can be super fun if the bite is on. I like to go with a lighter set up that can still take some abuse. My go to set up is a 7foot ugly stick and cheap saltwater reel. 15 lb mono. Tie on a barrel swivel, tie on 6"-8" inches mono, tie on a 3 way swivel, tie on 6" mono to the 90 degree swivel of the 3 way, tie on a #4 hook. Tie on 18" more mono on the straight end of the 3 way swivel, repeat the set up with another 3 way swivel. For a weight, I like the flat disc 1.5oz. You'll get a better feel for the "roll" of the weight versus the feel of a bite. Move up an oz or so of weight if the surf bigger. For bait, the Berkley Gulp Sandworm is undefeated. Sand crabs and sand shrimp good to but a pain to keep on the hook without an egg loop and calmer seas. I like to save razor clam necks after digging a limit specifically for perch fishing too. They're tough and a preferred food for the perchies.

If fishing open stretches of beaches, you only need cast out 20 yards or so. Steeper sections better. They move in schools so if you're not having luck, move up and down the beach 10 yards at a time after a couple casts. If you do get a bite, land your fish and chuck it right back in the same spot. I'll usually cast, let it lie a minute or two and then slow retrieve taking some breaks in increments to let the bait soak.

As for kayaks, I'm stocked on my sit on top 11ft. You can buy rod holders and cut out where you want to sink em in. Since it's almost never flat here, I just assume I'm going over at some point. Always wear a wetsuit and keep everything tied down to the boat. For the most part I'm wearing a backpack with pre tied tackle (flashers and mooching rigs for salmon, shrimp flies and jigs for rockfish and lings.) Also get some crabbing rings for that kayak. They don't have to soak as long as crab pots and you can just hop scotch around bays and estuaries with 3 at a time working zones to find dinner.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I need to get some clams in the water for fluke, plenty of them in our back channels and inlets, but fishing off a pier with bait is so, i don't know, boring.
The Berkely Gulps have a good reputation as flounder lures. Just don't play because the lure itself and for sure that juice they pack it in is. Stank. As. Fork.

Overcast crappy rainy phone pic of a creek flounder from a couple weeks ago. Albino Zoom Fluke, 1/8th or 1/16th weighted worm hook.
20200529_190715.jpg

Reactions: Q_Surf and warble2

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The Berkely Gulps have a good reputation as flounder lures. Just don't play because the lure itself and for sure that juice they pack it in is. Stank. As. Fork.

Overcast crappy rainy phone pic of a creek flounder from a couple weeks ago. Albino Zoom Fluke, 1/8th or 1/16th weighted worm hook.
View attachment 92722
Day in day out, gulp is the way to go for fluke, Occasionally live bait or big strips can work better for bigger fish.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Day in day out, gulp is the way to go for fluke, Occasionally live bait or big strips can work better for bigger fish.

my brother got a keeper up near you recently, big ass fluke.

really stupid question re: the non-swimming gulp baits.......do you fish them like regular bait or do you need to move them around?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
my brother got a keeper up near you recently, big ass fluke.

really stupid question re: the non-swimming gulp baits.......do you fish them like regular bait or do you need to move them around?
As long as you have a drift. either way. I like to go with a bucktail tipped with gulp and a teaser 12" inches up and continually jig it.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Shrimp opener in Puget Sound yesterday. We didn't get limits (got about 100) but we're taking another crack at it on Monday.

Heading out of the harbor yesterday morning we saw some deer on the beach. Something you don't see mid-day.

Spot prawns for dinner last night.

COVID has messed up the halibut opener on the ocean, it might open in August. Tried for halibut in Puget Sound, got a baby and a giant. Let them both go.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
That's a halibut? Looks like a shovelnose guitarfish?
no, the one above it, the baby. Honestly I didn't properly ID the thing, it could be a sole of some kind. Butter sole maybe? Or baby hali? Either way, too small, didn't even bring it in the boat.

The bigger thing is a Big Skate or Long Nose Skate

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
conditions have kept me off the water in the ocean lately but fish are around. In a few weeks it's on though and I plan on getting out almost every weekend. Once they opened the ramps I got a couple bonito, some bass, and rockfish to keep me happy.

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002

I bought a cheapy Tamarack Angler from Big 5 3 or 4 years ago (250$). I take it out in the ocean quite a bit. Does pretty well. Light enough that I put it on top of our car and can carry it quite a ways just myself. If going out through the surf, make sure everything is tied down. I learned the hard way.

My fishing buddy has a $2,000 hobie pedal model. Sure its nicer and faster (and hands free which is nice), but man is it heavy.

Reactions: HarryLopez

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
for the east coast crew, can you eat what you're catching? SFBay is dirty enough that you probably don't want to eat a lot of what you catch, but the ocean is a go, curious what it is like back there