A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Thats what I thought, sounds like a cool fishery. Any tarpon make it up there?
They do. Supposedly Oriental is a popular place to fish for them and the old guy I live with has told me about people catching them from the beach off of Cape Point and off of Hatteras inlet when it’s warm. When I lived in Wilmington, I saw a pod rolling down the Cape Fear river on an outgoing tide. Interesting seeing them up here.

Reactions: mundus

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Yeah I live in Kill Devil Hills right now. That’s a white perch. The sounds can be super fresh depending on where you fish. The other day I caught a red drum and large mouth bass at the same spot.
Billy, do you ever fish with (or know) Crockett, Rhodes or Ben Morris? Those are my homies and all damn good fishermen/watermen.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Billy, do you ever fish with (or know) Crockett, Rhodes or Ben Morris? Those are my homies and all damn good fishermen/watermen.
I do not. I moved up here last summer for work and didn’t fish much until it started warming up this year. Was jammed up with work and finishing a grad program last fall. I’ll have to ask the guy I stay with if he knows any of them.

Reactions: theramrod

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Hiked into a spot my dad and I like to fish in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. You have the option to fish either the Indian River Lagoon or the impounded marsh as you walk along the road. Found a spillway that was flowing, skipped a black and gold paddle tail under the mangroves and immediately hooked into a solid snook. Missed him, but I ended up getting another good one shortly after.

A few minutes later, a couple of guys in a truck drove by and told me they were about to turn on the pump station and pump water from the lagoon into the marsh. Followed their advice and hiked back to the pump station. The water was flowing when I walked up and fish were going wild where the water was entering the impoundment. The quiet mangrove canals had come to life and the still water was now swirling around like a whirlpool. When I had walked by earlier, the water was calm and only baby tarpon were feeding on the surface. Now it was an all out feast. Fish were darting through the current, larger juvenile tarpon were rolling and several sizable gators showed up to feed on the edges of the current flow.

Caught a ton of ladyfish on fly and on jigs, and landed a 10-12 pound tarpon on the spinning rod. He jumped several times, but I had him pinned. He made a few big runs and tried to get me in the mangroves as a last resort, but yanked him out and he gave in. What a beautiful fish.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hiked into a spot my dad and I like to fish in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. You have the option to fish either the Indian River Lagoon or the impounded marsh as you walk along the road. Found a spillway that was flowing, skipped a black and gold paddle tail under the mangroves and immediately hooked into a solid snook. Missed him, but I ended up getting another good one shortly after.

A few minutes later, a couple of guys in a truck drove by and told me they were about to turn on the pump station and pump water from the lagoon into the marsh. Followed their advice and hiked back to the pump station. The water was flowing when I walked up and fish were going wild where the water was entering the impoundment. The quiet mangrove canals had come to life and the still water was now swirling around like a whirlpool. When I had walked by earlier, the water was calm and only baby tarpon were feeding on the surface. Now it was an all out feast. Fish were darting through the current, larger juvenile tarpon were rolling and several sizable gators showed up to feed on the edges of the current flow.

Caught a ton of ladyfish on fly and on jigs, and landed a 10-12 pound tarpon on the spinning rod. He jumped several times, but I had him pinned. He made a few big runs and tried to get me in the mangroves as a last resort, but yanked him out and he gave in. What a beautiful fish.
Love those baby tarpon, my parents used to have a place on Marco Island with a pond that connected to saltwater. Caught largemouth, baby tarpon and snook all in the same water. Love Florida fishing!

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
IMG_6967.png
One more week of spring Tog season left. 20" fish on the pole spear Friday. 2 shy of a 3 man limit on Saturday from the boat. Water is still 48 so not the most fun to dive for prolonged amounts of time.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I mostly fish for Bass and Walleye, but our lake is world renowned for our giant Kamloops rainbows. Spring derby just started, I’ve yet to fish for them. But I’d like to hook into one someday..

View attachment 128519
Hell of a fishery you have there, warmwater and coldwater species. Mostly smallmouth bass?

Stinkeye

Miki Dora status
Jan 12, 2002
Gone and haven't looked back..
Visit site
Hell of a fishery you have there, warmwater and coldwater species. Mostly smallmouth bass?
Lake Pend Oreille

largemouth and smallmouth.. the lake is massive. 40 + miles long, about 150:square miles of surface area, 1150 feet deep in spots. Also feeds down into the Lake Pend Oreille River with a sh!t ton of bays and sloughs.

amazing Kokanee fishery as well as a bunch of other species.

our alpine lakes and rivers are out of control as well.

I’m just a rank amateur. My stepson is a master. He slays it and is in school for fisheries biology right now.
65156A57-0A0F-4F16-BDBB-D50380BD8F1B.jpeg

Last edited: