A meaningless thread about nothing - what's your volume to weight ratio?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Looks like I ride very low volume compared to most on here 88 kg / 31-32L HPSB’s.

funny thing is, I’m barely below average for volume around here - for example, Craig from the surfboard guide lives near me and rides less volume with probably 8kg more weight...

I wonder if wave type is a factor? bowly beachies + not much paddling around here = no need for high volume.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I wonder if wave type is a factor? bowly beachies + not much paddling around here = no need for high volume.
yes. I ride more volume up north.

wish I knew what volume my old boards were from early 00s. had a chip dimensioned lost SD2, remember swapping boards with a friend’s more generously dimensioned SD3 and being confused what magic that board was hiding that mine was missing as I could suddenly paddle into anything.

Reactions: MathDebater

JLW

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 7, 2004
How high (low?) do they float you? You must be in water to your neck pretty much.

Well done. I could probably barely paddle 24L in a straight line :)

Thanks. Like I said, if I could ride more volume, I would. In terms of where I float when sitting on my boards, it's usually chest-nipple height. The fact that I'm a good paddler helps. I used to paddle competitively in lifeguard tournaments when I was younger.

When laying down to paddle, you gotta keep your body a little further forward on the board. The nose of the board is essentially underwater like 50% of time while paddling. The very tip of the nose is just barely skimming above the surface.

The fact that pros ride more volume than me probably means it's a deficiency in my technique that I need to work on. But old habits die hard. The thing I like about riding tiny boards is that they're really slidey and neutral. They fit so well in the pocket. Getting vertical or doing big fins-free hacks is WAY easier on a small board. It almost feels like cheating.

I'm thinking about just biting the bullet one day, getting a 29 L board, and forcing myself to get used to it no matter what. It would probably help me catch more waves, and it would save the wear and tear on my shoulders.

• Wow
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, for me it's the paddling where I need more foam the past 5 years as I'm in my 40s. When actually up and riding, I could lose 3-4 Liters no problem. My smallest board is a 5'5 x30.5L Evo in stringerless XTR which works fine due to the efficiency of the outline.
I'm 6', 177 lbs (80.3kg)
32-34L sweet spot, fishes/grovelers probably up to 35-36L
Using Prof. @Lohena 's Board volume (L)/ weight (kg) ratio: 33 / 80 = 0.4125

I'm amazed that guys on here 190-200 lbs ride 32L boards. Also, lots of hobbits on the erBB shire

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I should go find a 37L HPSB to get to that magic .35 ratio (@105.5 kgs) to find out how well it works. Thinking I won’t catch a lot of waves unless it’s barreling best day of the year.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
wish I knew what volume my old boards were from early 00s. had a chip dimensioned lost SD2, remember swapping boards with a friend’s more generously dimensioned SD3 and being confused what magic that board was hiding that mine was missing as I could suddenly paddle into anything.
I tried riding a couple of my circa-late 90's/2000 glass slippers when I moved back from NYC. They were way too rockered out for average SD waves and I couldn't paddle for shirt! Amazing what a difference a few years and 15 lbs makes!

Last edited:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Thanks. Like I said, if I could ride more volume, I would. In terms of where I float when sitting on my boards, it's usually chest-nipple height. The fact that I'm a good paddler helps. I used to paddle competitively in lifeguard tournaments when I was younger.

When laying down to paddle, you gotta keep your body a little further forward on the board. The nose of the board is essentially underwater like 50% of time while paddling. The very tip of the nose is just barely skimming above the surface.

The fact that pros ride more volume than me probably means it's a deficiency in my technique that I need to work on. But old habits die hard. The thing I like about riding tiny boards is that they're really slidey and neutral. They fit so well in the pocket. Getting vertical or doing big fins-free hacks is WAY easier on a small board. It almost feels like cheating.

I'm thinking about just biting the bullet one day, getting a 29 L board, and forcing myself to get used to it no matter what. It would probably help me catch more waves, and it would save the wear and tear on my shoulders.
If you want to go up in volume, make sure to get thin rails, it will help make it feel smaller.
Keep extra volume along the stringer so it doesn't have corky rails

oh yeah 5"8" x 135 HPSB ~24 liters. Groveler is 27

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
51 5'8" 170 dd/hpsb:27-28, step up:32, and grovel:34(?) I surf from 5'2" x20.25" 2.375" to 8' x22" x2.75" I am more of believer of technuque "sinkin' rail" then of volume and still think by fondling a board under arm I can tell if its golden or not.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

205-210 with a twicely blown shoulder

32 L but that's gonna change. Rode the dark ardvarks dad bod at 37 liters and while I didn't like how it surfed, it's time to swallow my pride and move up in volume. I loved being able to get into waves so much easier.

Shooting for the neighborhood of 34-35 liters but don't want to go too boaty so I'm hoping Stumps will accept the challenge.

Getting old sucks. Getting tired of missing waves.

Yes I could lose weight but I suck and if you pile on, I deserve it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

205-210 with a twicely blown shoulder

32 L but that's gonna change. Rode the dark ardvarks dad bod at 37 liters and while I didn't like how it surfed, it's time to swallow my pride and move up in volume. I loved being able to get into waves so much easier.

Shooting for the neighborhood of 34-35 liters but don't want to go too boaty so I'm hoping Stumps will accept the challenge.

Getting old sucks. Getting tired of missing waves.

Yes I could lose weight but I suck and if you pile on, I deserve it.
Ain't no shame. Happens to all of us- if we keep surfing. Even these young hobbits will need to get up to 25L at some point! LOL
But, yeah, it's all in how the volume is hidden so it doesn't feel like barge. I'm sure Tommy Stumps can work some volume voodoo. I feel like the foam in my Akila and Pyzel grovelers are well-hidden. You'll have to give them a spin.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
turn 55 in a couple weeks and my new board from Kenson should be done soon. I told him shapers choice so I have no idea what it is going to be, but he is aware of my shot right shoulder so I imagine there will be plenty of volume, hopefully less than my age though.

Reactions: JTS

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
34yo
5'10"
186lbs / 84kg (working on losing ~10lbs)

DD shortboard is a 5'10" stock Pyzalien @30l, but really I ride a 6'8"x19 1/2x 2 5/8 singlefin most of the time. That probably puts me somewhere around the 35-36l mark?