A little longer fish?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anybody riding a little longer fish? I don't mean a mid length, but maybe something like 6'-4" + -.

I made a 7'-7" channel bottom twin that rides really nice but it doesn't fit my two niches. It is too short to compete with longboards at my winter go-to . It is a great ride in overhead waves but since it rides more like a shortboard I can't sit outside and chase down set waves which is frustrating. Sitting inside watching the lucky lagers trim on rippable set waves drives me crazy. And it is way too long to fit in nicely at the local beach breaks.

I have a 6-10 blank and some time (thanks corona?) and am thinking of shaping a little longer fish/twin fin. Was hoping some of the erBB braintrust has experience and feedback riding such a board...

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I have been kicking around the idea to do a 7 something channel twinzer.
surfed Bolas a few weeks ago where it would have been perfect. I got a fwe good waves on my 6-4,but there was a guy out on a "mid" length getting the best ones coming through. He could get in early enough to make the LONG section. He was having fun

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I love them. In my old age I like my boards bigger so Im happy with the length etc. The Twinzers are Mabile and a Von Sol. The VS is more performance out of the 2.

The Mits is totally different being longer and super fun for Baja Points

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I have been kicking around the idea to do a 7 something channel twinzer.
surfed Bolas a few weeks ago where it would have been perfect. I got a fwe good waves on my 6-4,but there was a guy out on a "mid" length getting the best ones coming through. He could get in early enough to make the LONG section. He was having fun
This is my 7-7. Pic is a thruster but I use it with Rasta keels.55924147_2669978273019564_1490888675788062720_o.jpg55959601_2669978789686179_6397372719607840768_o.jpg

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I've got a 6'4" quad fish. I love it. But I'm not so sure it'll fit one of your niches. I use mine when the waves are tiny. Get's in early and easily and takes off like a rocket...it's the fastest board I've ever surfed. It's good in soft or shapely beachbreak at almost any size. At points a reefs it would be great, too. But, it's still no match for a longboard.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've got a 6'4" quad fish. I love it. But I'm not so sure it'll fit one of your niches. I use mine when the waves are tiny. Get's in early and easily and takes off like a rocket...it's the fastest board I've ever surfed. It's good in soft or shapely beachbreak at almost any size. At points a reefs it would be great, too. But, it's still no match for a longboard.
My niche for this board will be under head high So Bay beach break. I'm thinking a 6-4 will work.

Reactions: surfapotomus

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
6’7 CC Long Fish.
Same width and thickness as my 5’8 CC fish(21 1/4 x 2 1/2) but almost 1 foot longer.
Its great in the right conditions. Easy paddling and lots of speed and glide. Seems to like steeper waves.
Still playing with fins but so far a lot of fun. I think it will really light up in medium to big point waves.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
7’ - 6’6” - 6’

First ride :

7’

Just surfed the 7’ with the forward fin placement I can not believe how good this board goes. I can knife a late drop or glide in early. It really is the best of both worlds. shortboard turns with mid length glide. The waves were pretty flat but I got one with a little bowl to it and the way it comes off the bottom grips the wave face and then just projects is the best thing I’ve surfed. I think it was the fastest I’ve ever gone on a board. One pump has more speed and projection then three pumps on another board. it got a tiny bit squirrelly going that fast so I think the proper fin position is going to be further back but I was having too much fun to go and change it. I connected with it from the first wave. You’re the fucking man!!’ Thank you so much. 100 percent customer for life

Told him I had lots of info to share as he rides these

Would love to get more info! I’m a full convert. It went rail to rail smoother and easier then I ever imagined. I had to get use to standing up and having so much speed. My girlfriend was on the beach and she said it was the fastest she’s ever seen me surf. Said that I looked 80 pounds lighter. How the hell is everyone not riding these!?. I instantly felt like my surfing progressed and I was surfing better then ever .

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Did a 7'2" (proven file) and glassed on these fins.

It felt like I was dragging a sea anchor. Inside foil, lots of rake and placed too far to the rear? Knocked them off the board and putting in some Futures boxes further up the board. Going with a flat inside file this next time. If it doesn't work after that I'll probably take a chainsaw to it and throw it in the dumpster.