A&H Vessels | Handshaped Surfboards | San Clemente, CA

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
That kid is a good surfer. His self shaped board is a little funky but he surfs it well.
I wanna shape a board.

I wonder how many people on here have shaped their own board?? :unsure:
I have, was a 5'8" fish (twin), with glass on fins and purple dye, glassed it, too. Fcuk, that thing was ugly and rode like sh!t. Good experience though! There's probably a pic on here somewhere, this was back when SurflineBB was still around. I met a bunch of those guys for a campout in Big Sur (Sand Dollar) and surfed it there. Fun times. It's now resides in the Buena Vista Landfill in Watsonville, unless someone took it home...

Those A & H do look pretty good. I like look of the Ordainer. Could be a quiver killer, for me, in the right size.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Dane Hantz will help you out :roflmao:

What's the problem with this?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
What's the problem with this?
I was told that when Dane first started shaping and didn't know sh!t about sh!t. He was working at XTR and was taught a bunch of techniques on glassing and polishing and once he learned everything just split and left XTR holding that bag after they took all that time to teach him. I also heard that when he was scanning files for an up and coming shaper he secretly kept some of the scans and starting making boards for people using that shapers files. The dude sounds unethical and I would never take any type of class from him. I think he also patented the "corrugated" rail when all it is a concave on the rail which Cole Simler has been doing forever - Stretch too.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I was told that when Dane first started shaping and didn't know sh!t about sh!t. He was working at XTR and was taught a bunch of techniques on glassing and polishing and once he learned everything just split and left XTR holding that bag after they took all that time to teach him. I also heard that when he was scanning files for an up and coming shaper he secretly kept some of the scans and starting making boards for people using that shapers files. The dude sounds unethical and I would never take any type of class from him. I think he also patented the "corrugated" rail when all it is a concave on the rail which Cole Simler has been doing forever - Stretch too.
Do you mean step deck or what stretch calls sk8 deck @ReForest :shrug: I once had a old yater pre sb revolution most likely mid 60's with step deck spoon nose pintail 9'6" best nose rider ever rode her to death complete delam need to get another one:foreheadslap:

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I believe there is a photo of Slater walking on a beach with Pam Anderson holding a FireFly model from Cole with those concaves on the deck around 1998 - 2000.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The rails have a concave. I dont know what Cole calls it, but he's been doing this long before Dane ever did.

View attachment 137541
Oh the deck channels you mean I should've known from Cole reference where I saw them first. Really like them and just like sk8 or step deck feels good grabbing rail for duck dive or pig dog but also think they help with flex control and stretch really works it with his glass schedules like legacy, cft, and dft. I really noticed difference on my first non stringer board 5150 dft and how it felt compared to same glassing in cft medium:shaka:

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The rails have a concave. I dont know what Cole calls it, but he's been doing this long before Dane ever did.

View attachment 137541
I believe there is a photo of Slater walking on a beach with Pam Anderson holding a FireFly model from Cole with those concaves on the deck around 1998 - 2000.
:roflmao:

Those channels are an East Coast thing.

Mike Daniels and Greg Loehr did a ton of them way back at least into the early 80s, before any of the above knew how to properly run a planer.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
:roflmao:

Those channels are an East Coast thing.

Mike Daniels and Greg Loehr did a ton of them way back at least into the early 80s, before any of the above knew how to properly run a planer.
Regardless, for Dane to patent it decades later is... well.... LAME!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was told that when Dane first started shaping and didn't know sh!t about sh!t. He was working at XTR and was taught a bunch of techniques on glassing and polishing and once he learned everything just split and left XTR holding that bag after they took all that time to teach him.
I'm guessing two sides to this one.

I also heard that when he was scanning files for an up and coming shaper he secretly kept some of the scans and starting making boards for people using that shapers files. The dude sounds unethical and I would never take any type of class from him.
This happens. A lot.

Reactions: urchined