A few questions

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Do you guys disassemble after every session?

I coated my hardware with Tef Gel but have an Naish Abracadabra mount - should I coat the section of the mast that slides into the mount plate too?

Do you guys transport with the board/mast fully assembled?

I had water in the mast after rinsing - any way to prevent this?

Man I feel like a kook.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I take my fuselage off the mast and the mast off the board. Fuse and wings stay together. Mast and plate adapter stay together. This will likely change due to how big your car is.

The mast to the plate adapters are the same metal so they don't need tefgel. Stainless steel screws to Aluminum need tefgel due to different metals touching and saltwater.

Naish masts, Aluminum masts for that matter get water in them, you just have to deal with it. Carbon setups are solid and don't have this problem.

Take your whole setup apart once a month or so. I only had a bolt sieze on my Naish setup once. A cheap manual impact driver off amazon got it unstuck easy enough.

Reactions: grendel95

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I break down completely to fit in the car.

When I had Naish equipment I broke the whole thing apart just to prevent seizing the bolts. A big bummer to go put on new parts and spend an hour trying to free one last screw.

If you have the newest Naish equipment (Jet Foils), I believe the bolts on the foil are titanium and shouldn't seize up.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
you can silicone/sika the holes in the mast to stop the water going in, give the holes a good clean with alcohol first,

i use this brand of tefgel on my aluminium setups, rarely rinse it and never have anything seize up.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
see thats the thing about these foil manufacturers i never seen or heard any of them ever talking about sacrificial anodes or repalcing them...nothing...boats have zinc or magnesium bars bolted on all over the damn place...even weekend only outboard motors have um...but foils...nothingScreenshot_20200804-225611_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: sozzle

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Good questions. I asked similar ones when I started. My gear stays set up as I have a truck and shell. Rarely leaves there really. I used wd40 on screws before assembly.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
As long as you regularly tefgel your bolts (every few months) you should be able to leave it assembled without seizing. At least that has been my experience, slingshot set up.

Reactions: sozzle