A Big-Wave Surfer Is Suing the WSL After Nearly Dying at Nazaré

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Some interesting jurisdictional issues here. Contest in Portugal, lawsuit in California. Maybe the WSL requires surfers to sign waiver forms agreeing to sue in Ca. I'm not sure that is a great idea on a global basis. Most European countries don't have similar tort systems, and I have to believe that a Portuguese court wouldn't be so charitable as a California jury.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I should sue UCSD.

I've taken so many sets on the head at Blacks that I still wake up at night in a cold sweat while cursing every god of the sea that I can think of.
Let's get a class action suit going. We can use Tad and A. Little as our examples of the extreme brain damage caused by taking too many canyon sets to the head.

Reactions: keenfish

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Kinda begs the question: if its so dangerous you need safety teams and you're not comfortable surfing without them, should you be out there? I mean one could always sit on the beach . . .

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Kinda begs the question: if its so dangerous you need safety teams and you're not comfortable surfing without them, should you be out there? I mean one could always sit on the beach . . .
All the surfers want safety teams.

He's suing because the WSL pulled a bait 'n switch.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
All the surfers want safety teams.

He's suing because the WSL pulled a bait 'n switch.
The accident came in the sixth hour of competition, during a heat that wasn’t initially planned. The original schedule had called for four hour-long heats, but because the conditions were uncharacteristically favorable—giant waves with little wind shear—the Big Wave World Tour’s general manager Bill Sharp, other WSL staff, and the 19 competitors agreed to hold two additional heats.

At the point at which he met calamity, they had surfed 2/3rds of the event without the agreed-upon safety already. Alex said he only surfed because he felt pressure from his sponsors - the subtext being his desire to get paid was greater than his concern for safety. His accident wasn't because he wasn't rescued, but because the ski that did rescue him was cleaned up and he got launched. While I H8 the WSL, I think this sounds kinda litigious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clayster and npsp

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
I should sue UCSD.

I've taken so many sets on the head at Blacks that I still wake up at night in a cold sweat while cursing every god of the sea that I can think of.
Let me know when that class action goes down, maybe we should throw miserable walks back to car afterwards in as proof of our suffering? :jamon::jamon:

Reactions: Truth and keenfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The accident came in the sixth hour of competition, during a heat that wasn’t initially planned. The original schedule had called for four hour-long heats, but because the conditions were uncharacteristically favorable—giant waves with little wind shear—the Big Wave World Tour’s general manager Bill Sharp, other WSL staff, and the 19 competitors agreed to hold two additional heats.

At the point at which he met calamity, they had surfed 2/3rds of the event without the agreed-upon safety already. Alex said he only surfed because he felt pressure from his sponsors - the subtext being his desire to get paid was greater than his concern for safety. His accident wasn't because he wasn't rescued, but because the ski that did rescue him was cleaned up and he got launched. While I H8 the WSL, I think this sounds kinda litigious.
I don't disagree it's litigious.

But I also think people would be singing a different tune if it didn't involve a pro surfer. The #MeToo movement comes to mind.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
I wonder what the Red Bull body count is, (mostly wing suit I think). It's like their moto is, "If you think drinking R B is stupid, check this out."

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Some interesting jurisdictional issues here. Contest in Portugal, lawsuit in California. Maybe the WSL requires surfers to sign waiver forms agreeing to sue in Ca. I'm not sure that is a great idea on a global basis. Most European countries don't have similar tort systems, and I have to believe that a Portuguese court wouldn't be so charitable as a California jury.
WSL is HQed in Santa Monica. Pretty easy to get general jurisdiction out of that.