A bank is suing me , need advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Well cats out of the bag already. One night, drinking heavily in Makaha at a friend's house in the front yard. Last thing I remembered, dancing to UB 40 red red wine then started stumbling & fell to the ground. Freak accident , my head hit a significant sized rock. Apparently EMTs believed too messed up to go to Waianae ER so they drove me all the way to Queens hospital in town. Woke up in the morning to a doctor explaining how lucky that swelling went down in my face because so close to facial surgery. Walked out of the hospital the same day. Phone & wallet lost in chaos night before. Zero way to contact anybody. Only option involved walking to Ala Moana to wait for a friend to exit water after a surf lesson. Finally made it back to Makaha late afternoon. Completely out of commission plus bed ridden for a week.
this is a wake up call. it's not about the money.

get sober if you want to live.

you're not going to get too many more chances IMO.

best of luck to you.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Only 50K? That's not so bad.

How old are you? Are you ok with not buying a house or getting a car loan or credit card for 7 years?

Personally, for only 50 k in debt, I'd negotiate with your creditors for a payment plan and maybe a reduction in debt . Then get a job and pay it down.
I'm a bankruptcy "survivor". Not 7 years for a house. 4 years eligible for FHA with 3.5% down. 3 years for a traditional loan but if you are filing bankruptcy chances you have 20% down are slim unless you hid your money carefully.

I got a car loan immediately after bankruptcy. 5.9%.

$50K in debt is alot if you are low income. What's that with interest? Good you are talking to an attorney.

Do what's best for you. Don't let anyone on here make you feel bad for wiping the slate clean. It is a dog eat dog world out there and every motherfooker out there is looking to make money on you.

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
For the young who have no idea what you are talking about:

The first song written for the album was "Hotel California", which became the theme for the album.[2] Henley said of the themes of the songs in the album:

They're the same themes that run through all of our work: loss of innocence, the cost of naiveté, the perils of fame, of excess; exploration of the dark underbelly of the American dream, idealism realized and idealism thwarted, illusion versus reality, the difficulties of balancing loving relationships and work, trying to square the conflicting relationship between business and art; the corruption in politics, the fading away of the Sixties dream of "peace, love and understanding."[2]
On the title "Hotel California", Henley said that "the word, "California," carries with it all kinds of connotations, powerful imagery, mystique, etc., that fires the imaginations of people in all corners of the globe. There's a built-in mythology that comes with that word, an American cultural mythology that has been created by both the film and the music industry."[2] In an interview with the Dutch magazine ZigZag shortly before the album's release, Don Henley said:

This is a concept album, there's no way to hide it, but it's not set in the old West, the cowboy thing, you know. It's more urban this time (…) It's our bicentennial year, you know, the country is 200 years old, so we figured since we are the Eagles and the Eagle is our national symbol, that we were obliged to make some kind of a little bicentennial statement using California as a microcosm of the whole United States, or the whole world, if you will, and to try to wake people up and say 'We've been okay so far, for 200 years, but we're gonna have to change if we're gonna continue to be around.'"[3]
"You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I thought you said you had never been there.
Ebb Tide? Never. Hotel California? Maybe :)
I'm a bankruptcy "survivor". Not 7 years for a house. 4 years eligible for FHA with 3.5% down. 3 years for a traditional loan but if you are filing bankruptcy chances you have 20% down are slim unless you hid your money carefully.

I got a car loan immediately after bankruptcy. 5.9%.

$50K in debt is alot if you are low income. What's that with interest? Good you are talking to an attorney.

Do what's best for you. Don't let anyone on here make you feel bad for wiping the slate clean. It is a dog eat dog world out there and every motherfooker out there is looking to make money on you.
Although I think its unhealthy to view the world through a strictly Machiavelian lense, I pretty much have to agree with gbg 100% in this context.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbg

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
How are things this week?

What did the legal beagle have to say?

Luckily found the only lawyer in San Diego who will file your case without receiving full payment. $600 down payment. $250/month with total cost of $1,600. Lawyer said after 3 years everything bounces back. Final nail in the coffin with the booze, no more. I appreciate all the feedback from everybody. Lot of people recommended moving out of California & stop going to school. Lived all over California & different states, could not imagine not living in this great state. Gonna stick to school, invested too much time already. I apply to nursing schools starting September 2020. Feels good to wipe out all that debt. Lawyer also said Navy Federal Credit Union part of a group of 4 including Discover, American Express , & Loan Me who are infamous for being overly aggressive & suing clients. Also said he needs to send a fruit basket or gift to Navy Fed for all the business they create.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Luckily found the only lawyer in San Diego who will file your case without receiving full payment. $600 down payment. $250/month with total cost of $1,600. Lawyer said after 3 years everything bounces back. Final nail in the coffin with the booze, no more. I appreciate all the feedback from everybody. Lot of people recommended moving of California & stop going to school. Lived all over California, could not imagine not living in this great state. Gonna stick to school, invested too much time already. I apply to nursing schools starting September 2020. Feels good to wipe out all that debt. Lawyer also said Navy Federal Credit Union part of a group of 4 including Discover, American Express , & Loan Me who are infamous for being overly aggressive & suing clients. Also said he needs to send a fruit basket or gift to Navy Fed for all the business they create.
Have you considered SBCC nursing program?
Luckily found the only lawyer in San Diego who will file your case without receiving full payment. $600 down payment. $250/month with total cost of $1,600. Lawyer said after 3 years everything bounces back. Final nail in the coffin with the booze, no more. I appreciate all the feedback from everybody. Lot of people recommended moving out of California & stop going to school. Lived all over California & different states, could not imagine not living in this great state. Gonna stick to school, invested too much time already. I apply to nursing schools starting September 2020. Feels good to wipe out all that debt. Lawyer also said Navy Federal Credit Union part of a group of 4 including Discover, American Express , & Loan Me who are infamous for being overly aggressive & suing clients. Also said he needs to send a fruit basket or gift to Navy Fed for all the business they create.
You consider SBCC for nursing school?

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
I have a few friends in the Armenian community that run up their credit cards to about 40k, then have all of the bad credit cleaned and scrubbed months later and have perfect credit. Rinse and repeat. I'm not sure how they do it but I've also never seen them work a day in their life.

I've also never heard of banks going after people for defaulting on their loans.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Navy Federal is a garbage credit union. Never been a member, but they charge ATM fees to members of other credit unions, while otherwise nearly all credit unions in the US reciprocate with fee free withdrawals. They deserve to be ripped off by you just for that.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I still have a Navy Fed account but switched the majority of my banking to USAA and have a few different credit cards for points.

One time something got screwed up on my autodraft for my Navyfed CC payment and I got hit with a late fee. I politely asked that they refund the late fee and told them it won't happen again. They basically told me to fuck off and be thankful I bank with them. I pretty much lost all faith in their customer service right then and there. The same month my BOA and Chase card had the same thing happen and both waived the fee as a courtesy and thanked me for being a customer. I never missed a payment in 10 years with Navy Fed so that should tell you how great their customer service is.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Ebb Tide? Never. Hotel California? Maybe :)

Although I think its unhealthy to view the world through a strictly Machiavelian lense, I pretty much have to agree with gbg 100% in this context.

Absolutely true. You should be able to find another bank to get a lower interest loan to pay off the bank putting the screws on you.

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
Role Model update:

Prior to filing , Navy Fed posted a very threatening paragraph online about account open for litigation purposes and contact their lawyers immediately. Changed their tune fast. Now online says, "Your account Information Is being provided for informational purposes only. Providing you this information is not an attempt to collect a debt."
Also, only been two weeks since filing. Already received car loan offers addressing bankruptcy from Frank Subaru, Toyota Escondido, & Pacific Honda. No way I'm buying a car right now , just surprised.
Lastly, went into another bank to open an account. She said can't open up right now, have to wait 30-60 days till everything falls off credit report. The rebuilding process begins.

obslop

Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Role Model update:

Prior to filing , Navy Fed posted a very threatening paragraph online about account open for litigation purposes and contact their lawyers immediately. Changed their tune fast. Now online says, "Your account Information Is being provided for informational purposes only. Providing you this information is not an attempt to collect a debt."
Also, only been two weeks since filing. Already received car loan offers addressing bankruptcy from Frank Subaru, Toyota Escondido, & Pacific Honda. No way I'm buying a car right now , just surprised.
Lastly, went into another bank to open an account. She said can't open up right now, have to wait 30-60 days till everything falls off credit report. The rebuilding process begins.
good for you. i wish you the best.

occupy the time you spent drinking with something productive. surfing, martial arts, exercise, whatever.

Reactions: Chocki
Status
Not open for further replies.