80's Board shapers in SoCal

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Rode my Schroff Twin this morning and had such a blast!

I had a ...lost Rad Ripper, but it didn't have the skateboard feel of my Schroff. Who would you guys recommend going to for a legit 80s shape?

Schroff is obvious but I want to give my money to somebody else this time.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I love my Aleutian Juice (Dave Parmenter) Micro Stubby. It’s a true refined 80s machine. Neutral bottom, flat/concave deck, chunky (in a good way) rails. One of the most fun boards I’ve had in the last 10 years. Not sure if he’s too far north for you, but he often sends his boards to Waterman’s Guild for glassing.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
A close friend has gotten an 80's quad, as well as a twin fin, from Schroff, in the past 4-5 months. This guy surfs really good and absolutely LOVES the boards. Plus there's the whole 'experience' of ordering from Peter.

I'd also throw Gary Linden's name out there. One of two thrusters I've ever been able to properly ride was a circa '86 one from Gary. I told him about it, a few years ago and his response was 'Those were the most user-friendly thrusters I ever made'.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I really want a Schroff as well. They were my dream board back in 1983, but as 12 year old, my allowance was more in line with used boards. When I had money to buy a new board, I chose to get a Canyon shaped by Rusty (scaled down from what Occy was riding at the time), but have always pined for a Schroff.

If I'm getting one, I feel like I need to go crazy (or let Peter go crazy) with the airbrush, which besides being spendy, makes me a little nervous that I'd just ride it a few times and tempted to make it a wall-hanger, which my wife would not go for.

Reactions: grendel95 and Havoc

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I love my Aleutian Juice (Dave Parmenter) Micro Stubby. It’s a true refined 80s machine. Neutral bottom, flat/concave deck, chunky (in a good way) rails. One of the most fun boards I’ve had in the last 10 years. Not sure if he’s too far north for you, but he often sends his boards to Waterman’s Guild for glassing.
What are the bottom contours, please? Would love to get my hands on one.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Rusty made incredible thrusters at that time and pretty sure they have an 84 model based on Occy's boards then.

Hank Warner and Bob Mitsven in SD shaped through the 80's and can (re)make anything from that era too. True craftsman.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Isn't the M Pegg a refined Michael Peterson shape pre 80z?