805 Firestone Walker

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
still don't understand why they market their worst beer (by far) as their flagship
It's not overly hoppy, fruity, malty or anything else. It tastes like a step up from plain old beer and appeals to a wider audience than IPAs, sours, etc. They sell more 805 than any beer they make combined. I still believe changing the name from Honey Blonde to 805 was one of the best/profitable marketing moves in craft beer history.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Do people actually drink that 805 stuff?

The marketing was nauseating from the start. So phony. Would make me not want to touch the stuff.
I don’t pay attention to beer marketing and never saw this until you posted this. I also don’t see how an IG account called Gothic Dolphins with barely 7K pertains to the brewery itself?

Like Underscore said it’s a lighter ale that drinks more like a Pilsner. It’s a middle ground ground between watered down american swill and the cliche hopmonsters that are undrinkable when it’s above 75F. In terms of what I can find at a regular grocery or liquor store, pretty much all breweries have phased out their refreshing medium bodied American pales ales in favor of Hazys ( :barf: ) and super hoppy IPAs. Obviously it’s is hitting a market that is underserved.

805 doesn’t scratch the itch if it’s my first beer of the day but it’s a good after dinner beer and pouring it in a glass seems to blow off the weird flavor I get when I drink it right from the bottle or can. If anyone knows of a domestic medium bodied Pilsner that I can find in 12 Oz cans or bottles I’m all ears :beer:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
805 doesn’t scratch the itch if it’s my first beer of the day but it’s a good after dinner beer and pouring it in a glass seems to blow off the weird flavor I get when I drink it right from the bottle or can. If anyone knows of a domestic medium bodied Pilsner that I can find in 12 Oz cans or bottles I’m all ears :beer:
Have you had this? Made in Berkeley. Good stuff. Cans and bottles.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 8.24.30 AM.png

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It's not overly hoppy, fruity, malty or anything else. It tastes like a step up from plain old beer and appeals to a wider audience than IPAs, sours, etc. They sell more 805 than any beer they make combined. I still believe changing the name from Honey Blonde to 805 was one of the best/profitable marketing moves in craft beer history.
exactly.

it outsells everything else FW makes 10 fold.

Marketing has been run by ex Volcom guys since the start

The anti craft branding was brilliant as well.

Reactions: rice