80% of California Surf Spots Gone with 3 Feet of Sea Level Rise

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
One of my local breaks hardly ever breaks any more and if it does it doesn't hit the outside reef like it used to. Is that from the sea rising?

My college astronomy teacher, who is the smartest man I've ever met, said mankind hasn't recorded weather patterns long enough to make any kind of determination regarding global warming.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My college astronomy teacher, who is the smartest man I've ever met, said mankind hasn't recorded weather patterns long enough to make any kind of determination regarding global warming.
While I do think this is unquestionably true, we've also never put so much trash/pollution/CO2 into atmosphere before either.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Wait -- do you not understand that 1' average sea level rise is different from a 1' high tide? Okay, we're done here.
Yes, I understand the difference.

Let me ask you another way. How would 1 foot of rise be “dire” for you?

And please keep in mind that this rise occurs over the course of the next 100 years...,

Last edited:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
This coming from Ms. Stefanie Sekich-Quinn, Coastal Preservation Manager at Surfrider Foundation. Heard her lecture at a workshop at the American Planning Association's CA Chapter Annual Conference. Intetesting hysteria in several workshops/seminars yesterday. Im in a 3 hour workshop tomorrow titled Coastal Conondrums in a Changing Climate Part 1 & 2 Panelists are from city of IB, Del Mar and Oceanside.

Can you imagine if some of these drastic sea level rise predictions come to fruition and iconic spots likeTrestles, Rincon, Steamer Lane are gone in a few generations?

Not saying I buy into these predictions but damn....
The beaches around here like high tide.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Yes, I understand the difference.

Let me ask you another way. How would 1 foot of rise be “dire” for you?

And please keep in mind that this rise occurs over the course of the next 100 years...,
I have a nice piece of property 150 feet from the water, big enough to build another home on. I would like to pass this property on to my children. Access to my place is on a two lane highway, three stretches of which are already falling in to the sea.

And please, keep in mind that sea level rise and the factors contributing to it have so far exceeded estimates, at least where I am.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Evaporation.

All we have heard about is rising water levels.

Common, The hotter it gets, the more water gets evaporated.

High tides.

Short term. Global warming, if it truly is real. You should have a lot of beach front property.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have a nice piece of property 150 feet from the water, big enough to build another home on. I would like to pass this property on to my children. Access to my place is on a two lane highway, three stretches of which are already falling in to the sea.

And please, keep in mind that sea level rise and the factors contributing to it have so far exceeded estimates, at least where I am.
Is this on the east coast?

How much has the sea level risen in your area since 1950?

Why has the sea risen more where you are than somewhere else?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Evaporation.

All we have heard about is rising water levels.

Common, The hotter it gets, the more water gets evaporated.

High tides.

Short term. Global warming, if it truly is real. You should have a lot of beach front property.
Evaporation = more clouds

More clouds = more rain

More rain = more water

You're welcome.