80% of California Surf Spots Gone with 3 Feet of Sea Level Rise

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
This coming from Ms. Stefanie Sekich-Quinn, Coastal Preservation Manager at Surfrider Foundation. Heard her lecture at a workshop at the American Planning Association's CA Chapter Annual Conference. Intetesting hysteria in several workshops/seminars yesterday. Im in a 3 hour workshop tomorrow titled Coastal Conondrums in a Changing Climate Part 1 & 2 Panelists are from city of IB, Del Mar and Oceanside.

Can you imagine if some of these drastic sea level rise predictions come to fruition and iconic spots likeTrestles, Rincon, Steamer Lane are gone in a few generations?

Not saying I buy into these predictions but damn....

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I hired Stefanie for the SD Chapter of Surfrider, our only employee, back in 2004 or 2005. She's good people. She's passionate about enviro issues and has a Masters in enviro policy. If she's saying its a 3 foot rise, I would heed the warning. We heard about the great Pacific garbage patch in 2001 or 2002, ten plus years before people started talking about it en masse.

The big issue will be coastal armoring. If they do that instead of planned retreat, there will be no beaches. Let the bluffs fall and keep the beaches, says I. Even with a 1 foot rise the implications are dire. Tell her Woody says hi.

Last edited:
Reactions: everysurfer

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Most importantly, what kind of snacks did they have at these conferences?
Breakfast set ups yesterday. Last night was the big soiree/reception. Free drinks and small plates. Decent. Too many people for my liking. All talking about housing and city planning bullshit. I plan bad ass kill houses and other cool sh!t for special operators. I don't give a fuck about density bonuses.

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
This coming from Ms. Stefanie Sekich-Quinn, Coastal Preservation Manager at Surfrider Foundation. Heard her lecture at a workshop at the American Planning Association's CA Chapter Annual Conference. Intetesting hysteria in several workshops/seminars yesterday. Im in a 3 hour workshop tomorrow titled Coastal Conondrums in a Changing Climate Part 1 & 2 Panelists are from city of IB, Del Mar and Oceanside.

Can you imagine if some of these drastic sea level rise predictions come to fruition and iconic spots likeTrestles, Rincon, Steamer Lane are gone in a few generations?

Pssst... Doggerland shall return. Perpetually perfect Ponto will become scary.

Reactions: fishtank

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I hired Stefanie for the SD Chapter of Surfrider, our only employee, back in 2004 or 2005. She's good people. She's passionate about enviro issues and has a Masters in enviro policy. If she's saying its a 3 foot rise, I would heed the warning. We heard about the great Pacific garbage patch in 2001 or 2002, ten plus years before people started talking about it en masse.

The big issue will be coastal armoring. If they do that instead of planned retreat, there will be no beaches. Let the bluffs fall and keep the beaches, says I. Even with a 1 foot rise the implications are dire. Tell her Woody says hi.
You should know by now our resident internet experts know more than those phony real experts.

Reactions: Hump

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
You say this like it is a bad thing.
Let's consider the upside of a 3 foot rise in sea level.

1. Increased habitat for marine life.

2. Large reduction in the production of oil based surfing products such as surfboards and wetsuits.

3. Reduced greenhouse gas emissions as far fewer surfers will be driving their internal combustion powered vehicles to the beach.

I'm sure all the smart people on the ERBB can think of other benefits as well. :)

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

1.5 feet...

And no, a 1 foot rise would not be “dire”.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Yes please kill the bluffs with the snow plover crap zone and keep the beaches. Growing up those dunes used to attract the nudes.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
But nobody dare touch the ground squirrels who are eroding the crap out of the bluffs