7'6" Von Sol mini HPTC twinzer

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I'd bet Stamps could do a great version. I actually reached out about one and asked
him to call me, but never heard back. I'm very happy with what I got and will enjoy the F
out of it!
I'd have to talk with him, twinzer with bahne box looks the most fun

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I don't think Joe Blair does a twinzer, but on his quads and thrusters he runs his fin clusters forward on the midlengths and longboards. He doesn't like squash or fish tails, either.

Sometimes I think of these combinations in terms of deciding where you want to surf the board from first, then matching the rocker, foil, center of mass and fin cluster to support that position and that stance and that mode of turning. Where you want the board to trim, where your mass is going to be, what your stance is like, all that. A traditional longboarder who normally favors the close stance and the hula motion is looking for something different than the shortboarder who wants to surf every other board they own in that same manner.

Hull guys ride forward on their boards and let the rails do the talking, so their rockers, foils and fin position are adjusted to support that. Thruster riders drive off the tail so their boards are set up to do that. Etc.

Last edited:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I've only done twinzers with the canards being set with a little overlap, the same toe-in, and more cant (tilt) than the mains. Not as extreme as bonzer runners but with the idea that more cant in the canard adds to the hold of a twin, especially going backside. GG's rear-set twins are another way to handle the problem of twins washing out.

Just the fact that there are several variations of placement out there and they all seem to generate positive feedback from at least some of their riders speaks to the idea that there's more than one legit way to do it.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Wil mentioned spreading the cluster when the waves are bigger. Sean is probably at the extreme of overlap, but generally runs the nubster w it. Huie /leveler made me some me some wider canards that we're looser than smaller ones bc of the increased overlap, even though they had a bigger base.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Yeah, I've tried a former 9+ Mabile twinzer that obslop had. It honestly was the best-paddling (on flat water), and
most efficient lb I've ever tried with regards to hunting down and catching and trimming across burger waves like
crazy. Problem was (for me, at least), it was a farking nightmare to turn!

Think he had an 11' Twinzer Glider, would have loved to check it, you lucky dog.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Think he had an 11' Twinzer Glider, would have loved to check it, you lucky dog.
Oh yeah, he has that too. Thought it was 10’ but may be bigger.
I tried it and it’s epic for catching waves and trimming on anything.
But again, hard as F to turn or redirect at all. Has its purpose and
perfect for it.

echobch

Nep status
May 29, 2003
San Clemente
Love this board J, enjoy !
This is what I ran first off. Large VS twins and canards with center box nub.
Felt pretty good right off the bat. Have several other twin sets with slightly different tab placements
I'll play with in the future. Note: I asked Sean to set the canards with less overlap than he usually does (he likes much
more than others), but that didn't happen. With that said, the board works great as is and I'll figure out the best
twin+canard option and more.

View attachment 87960
View attachment 87961