7'6" Von Sol mini HPTC twinzer

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Nice board oceanslide. How far from the tail are the twin boxes set?
Sorry, missed this earlier. They're pretty far up. Dots are about 12 1/2" up, I think, and that's where
those large red VS fins pictured sit. I ran that setup the first few sessions in surf ranging from knee
high to shoulder-hh and it worked great. You can immediately pump the board once on takeoff and
get up and hauling right away, plus it's very nimble and I can change directions very quickly, either
on right-go-left takeoffs or whipping it around after zipping down the line. I dig it a lot with that set.
I also tried a set of GG's smaller twins (about 5" height, pictured) that sit further back about 1/2" on a day that
ranged from thigh to overhead longer period south sets. It was noticeably stiffer and a little less
'playful' feeling off the bottom and changing direction, but was solid and fast still and never felt
the least bit unstable driving across OH walls. I chased down a few nugs that a friend was shocked I got
to and the board allowed me to get in early enough to high-line on takeoff and make some sections
I would've been shut down by otherwise. Both fin setups very fun, with the nod early to the bigger,
more upright VS twins with more overlap that sit further forward (slightly surprised by this). I also
have a set of FCSII 'Modern Keels' that I'll try, prob both with and without the canards, after a couple more
tries with the other two. Those sit almost an inch further back from the GG twins.
So far, this board is fun, fun, fun. I catch waves that roll under shortboards with ease, but can also chase
down bigger sets that swing and others are out of position for.

One notable difference between this board and the couple other mid-lengths I've actually tried (mostly
EC boards), is that you can really surf it off of the tail over the fin cluster. It'll get up and run like
a much shorter board with one pump, and then is much more quick to re-direct off the top or whipping
around than what I've felt with those that are single or 2+1 with more belly/hull type bottoms.
I really look forward to getting it out more in high-tide conditions with a little size that are hard to catch on
smaller boards, but where you can really put the board on rail and swoop, which I've felt glimpses of
epicness on so far. I dig.

Attachments

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Twin Fins at 12 1/2"
All top shapers put thier thruster fins up to 1" back of that on a 7'6 , mostly being step ups too

This is a Very loose set up

Similar to a 6' having its Twins at 11 1/4"

Would love to see Sean and Noel together , I think Noel would be very happy

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Stretch told me that adding the center fin shifts the fin cluster back (since most center fins are so far back). Using a nubster probably allows for the side fins to be farther forward.

Have you ridden it w/o the nub, yet?

Also, I like your assessment w/ the fins being more fore vs. aft. I've felt that there's a dichotomy between hold and drive through turns. Having tried w and w/o canards, adding canards give you both. This is most noticeable during a deep bottom turn. Fins too far back or no canards, no projection into the lip; Fins too far forward, too slidey during bottom turn.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Stretch told me that adding the center fin shifts the fin cluster back (since most center fins are so far back). Using a nubster probably allows for the side fins to be farther forward.

Have you ridden it w/o the nub, yet?

Also, I like your assessment w/ the fins being more fore vs. aft. I've felt that there's a dichotomy between hold and drive through turns. Having tried w and w/o canards, adding canards give you both. This is most noticeable during a deep bottom turn. Fins too far back or no canards, no projection into the lip; Fins too far forward, too slidey during bottom turn.
Yeah, if I were to order the board again, I wouldn't change anything, I don't think. There's plenty of hold with both
sets of mains I've tried so far, and I like how nimble it is. There's so much curve in the template from the fins back that I wouldn't
really want them set any closer to the tail as I think I'd lose some of the ability to pump off of the fin cluster
from a comfortable position on the board and it'd lose some of the playful feeling it has.
We'll see how the Modern Keel set feels, being about another inch back, both with and without canards.
I have not tried without the nub yet, but will likely do that at some point...I like what I'm already feeling.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I think your 7-6 probably likes being ridden with a slightly forward stance
best with the fins slightly farther forward, I had a IG conversation with Rob Brown
about twinzer fin position :cool:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I think your 7-6 probably likes being ridden with a slightly forward stance
best with the fins slightly farther forward, I had a IG conversation with Rob Brown
about twinzer fin position :cool:
You can trim it from the middle, for sure, but it honestly likes being surfed from the tail/fin cluster
more and there's a 'gas pedal' like you'd find on a smaller twinzer, which I haven't felt on the other
mid-lengths I've tried thus far. The only time if feels a little squirrelly is when you're trimming
way forward towards the nose and the tail wants to drift a bit. Want you to try it!

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
IME, Sean always provides an outstanding product that exceeds expectations.

You sure you're measuring it right?
It don't look like 12.5"

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Wow! Greg was right. Twinzer fins set @ 12.5" on a 7'6, that is mind blowing!
I've seen 9'0 Twinzer longboards with fins set @ 11," and 10" by Larmo, and Jobson, respectively.
Leave it up to Mad-dog Mattison to break new ground. Wouldn't be the first time. Props!

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
twinzer fins set @ 12.5" on a 7'6, that is mind blowing!
I've seen 9'0 Twinzer longboards with fins set @ 11," and 10" by Larmo, and Jobson, respectively.
Yeah, I've tried a former 9+ Mabile twinzer that obslop had. It honestly was the best-paddling (on flat water), and
most efficient lb I've ever tried with regards to hunting down and catching and trimming across burger waves like
crazy. Problem was (for me, at least), it was a farking nightmare to turn!