62 is the new 24

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Right, the chart shows what I don't get. 60-69 VO2 max of 40.3 is in the 90th percentile. I'm 62 and that's what my Garmin says I have, btw. Doesn't seem to make sense that a 62-year-old man would be expected to be in the 90th percentile.
That’s easy. You’re in great (cardio) shape for your age. The percentile is for your age group.

What are you doing?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
That’s easy. You’re in great (cardio) shape for your age. The percentile is for your age group.

What are you doing?
Lap swimming and spinning mostly, though I've started running more lately because it's easier to get the heart rate up to a higher level.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Lap swimming and spinning mostly, though I've started running more lately because it's easier to get the heart rate up to a higher level.
I can feel the interval runs and tempo stuff is pretty hard on the legs. I attribute remaining injury free to the barbell work.

Damn. Hope I didn't jinx it. I got Covid after mentioning to m wife I had not been sick in 4 years.

Reactions: grapedrink

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I can feel the interval runs and tempo stuff is pretty hard on the legs. I attribute remaining injury free to the barbell work.

Damn. Hope I didn't jinx it. I got Covid after mentioning to m wife I had not been sick in 4 years.
I've been doing interval runs to try to increase my VO2 max. Two minutes running and two walking for a half hour. Feels less stressful than a sustained run, but I've never been much of a runner.

I'm sure free weight training helps to prevent injuries (for us old fucks).

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've been doing interval runs to try to increase my VO2 max. Two minutes running and two walking for a half hour. Feels less stressful than a sustained run, but I've never been much of a runner.

I'm sure free weight training helps to prevent injuries (for us old fucks).
Especially the barbell forward lunge (for the knees). I do warm up sets 1x10 with 65 then 75 pounds and then 3x10 at 85 pounds. I've plateaued and don't plan on adding more. I get a little wobbly the last few reps. Squats and deadlifts also work the legs. I recently (last year) added calf raises. I deadlift 135 pounds and do 3x35 with my forefoot on a 1x4 to get a little extra ROM. The last reps of those are killer for grip strength too.

Reactions: estreet

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Especially the barbell forward lunge (for the knees). I do warm up sets 1x10 with 65 then 75 pounds and then 3x10 at 85 pounds. I've plateaued and don't plan on adding more. I get a little wobbly the last few reps. Squats and deadlifts also work the legs. I recently (last year) added calf raises. I deadlift 135 pounds and do 3x35 with my forefoot on a 1x4 to get a little extra ROM. The last reps of those are killer for grip strength too.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So without measuring VO2 max you can’t tell what your VO2 max is but according to this I’m very young. I know it’s a lie because when I was 22 I had a boner for at least 37% of the day. Now my boner percentage is a bit lower than that.

IMG_6107.jpeg

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Funny, running does not get my HR up to target level unless the temperature is 80+ degrees.

Otherwise a 5 mile run = I don't even break a sweat.

I am not the fastest runner but I'm not slow either.:shrug:

Max HR = freeslyle lap swimming, cycling hillwork, the stair stepper, and steep hikes.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Funny, running does not get my HR up to target level unless the temperature is 80+ degrees.

Max HR = freeslyle lap swimming, cycling hillwork, the stair stepper, and steep hikes.
Maybe you’re a more efficient runner and I’m a more efficient swimmer. :shrug:

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

You’re not fast but you’re not slow seems to be comparing yourself to others. If you push yourself hard enough you will get your heart rate up.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

try hill sprints. at least 12-15 degree incline. youll be huffing/puffing/heart racing in like 45 seconds.

ive switched doing normal runs to something like this on the incline treadmill.

5 minutes - 8 minute pace at 8 degree incline. 3.5 minutes at 25 degree incline with like a 12 minute pace, then 1.5 minutes at 15 degree incline at a 10 minute pace. 10 minutes total then do 4 rounds.

im huffing and puffing the entire time, my clothes are soaked through like i went swimming..its a good workout.

Last edited:
Reactions: casa_mugrienta