5 shark attacks in 2 weeks on Long Island

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This news may actually trim some of the beginner surfers clogging the lineup. It’s astounding how many people are genuinely afraid of getting bitten by a shark, yet won’t think twice about going 80 on the southern state, where their chances of death and dismemberment are far far higher

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Just wait until the burgeoning great white population on the east coast enters the fray and starts rampaging through the New York and NJ beaches.

Reactions: emmohl80

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Def have been seeing more sea life out here on long island for the past few years. Each year, more whale, dolphin, shark sightings.

Seen lots of thresher sharks, spinner sharks, brown sharks.

These attacks may or may not have been sharks tho

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
When I was a kid, it was rare to even see a seal. Marine Mamal protection act has resulted in a huge increase in the seal population up here. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, If you give them food, they will come.
My beach was recently closed for shark sightings.

Reactions: mundus

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
I've been more terrorized by Seals than anything else in the last few years on Long island. They can be really nasty buggers- They can be like Swimming Cujo's...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PJ and PPK96754

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I sell cocaine. I'll catch these birds for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. These sharks, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three BTC Bro. I'll find them for three but I'll catch them and kill them for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many wannabe captains on this erBB.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PJ and jkb

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Paging captain frank mundus to the erBB red emergency shark phone. Frank mundus to the red emergency shark phone please

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

This guy and one or two others have consistent shark videos from across long island, usually just thrashing through large schools of fish (more on instagram)

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
The National Safety Council puts the odds of being fatal shark attack at around 1 in 3,748,067, meaning your chances of death by heart disease, lightning or fireworks is much higher.
Lifetime risk is calculated by dividing 2003 population (290,850,005) by the number of deaths, divided by 77.6, the life expectancy of a person born in 2003.

Of course, this statistic is meaningless to us because most people never go into the ocean. :shark::shark::shark:

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and keenfish

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just wait until the burgeoning great white population on the east coast enters the fray and starts rampaging through the New York and NJ beaches.
We probably aren't far from that. Seeing seals in these parts is much more common and shark numbers are climbing. Only a matter of time. Could we see a repeat of the NJ shark attacks of 1916? Its quite possible.
If you ever want a good read check out "12 Days Of Terror" which is the story of that string of shark attacks that were the basis for the movie Jaws.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I sell cocaine. I'll catch these birds for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. These sharks, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three BTC Bro. I'll find them for three but I'll catch them and kill them for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many wannabe captains on this erBB.
(U NEED A BIGGER BOAT)..:poke: