5 Mil or 6 Mil?

Jul 4, 2006
New England
I can't tell the difference between a 5mm and 6mm suit, but when its 15-30 degree air and 38-42 degree water, I'm happy for every bit of heat I can retain. Feral 6/5/4 has been good for me; I think I'll get a third winter out of mine in New England. Dense rubber does a good job blocking the wind, seams have held up MUCH better than the glued panel smoothie panels of my prior Drylocks.

Reactions: daave and mundus

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I havent had an xcel in ages but I always felt like the drylock was the warmest suit on the market. Rip curl flashbomb was a close 2nd. Neither brand fit me very well, being too short in the limbs. They didnt last even a full season for me either.
I had pretty good luck with my Flashbomb. It certainly never felt particularly "light", but it was super warm and fit well with my stumpy legs. it's at least 5 years old now. The chest zip failed on me after a couple years, they fixed it. A few years later, the zipper just lost a corrosion battle and it fell off. I'm hoping with some pliers and a few minutes, I can get it together again and limp another season out of it as a backup. I only get to surf 1-2 times a week on a good week, but I surfed a lot more when I first got it.

I think I was a Large
5'11"
190-200

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka
Jul 18, 2018
I used to use the xcels, switched to billabong and they are ok. Now that the billabong 5 mil is about done thinking of either Feral or Isrus, anybody have any reviews of the 2?
I prefer my Feral suits to my Isurus suits. Granted the Feral's are newer than the Isurus, fit could also be the issue as my Isurus suit flushes a little too frequently
In general, I've become a fan of Feral's style of suits (no liner, thicker neoprene).
The Isurus liner is very nice but I find that its annoying to put on or take off when wet as the liner has quite a bit of friction to it.
In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either but I am happier with my 654 Feral than I was with my 5/4 Isurus. The suits are also significantly cheaper.
Note, the Feral suits fit a little tight/short.
I'm 5'11" 165lbs and am happy in a M 543 but needed to go to MT for the 654.
The first time I wore the 543 it felt way too tight. After two sessions it's perfect.
YMMV

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I prefer my Feral suits to my Isurus suits. Granted the Feral's are newer than the Isurus, fit could also be the issue as my Isurus suit flushes a little too frequently
In general, I've become a fan of Feral's style of suits (no liner, thicker neoprene).
The Isurus liner is very nice but I find that its annoying to put on or take off when wet as the liner has quite a bit of friction to it.
In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either but I am happier with my 654 Feral than I was with my 5/4 Isurus. The suits are also significantly cheaper.
Note, the Feral suits fit a little tight/short.
I'm 5'11" 165lbs and am happy in a M 543 but needed to go to MT for the 654.
The first time I wore the 543 it felt way too tight. After two sessions it's perfect.
YMMV
5'9' 160, medium should fit? Still hate buying suits without trying on.

Jul 18, 2018
5'9' 160, medium should fit? Still hate buying suits without trying on.
I think you'll be stoked in a Medium.
That said, definitely try it on more than once before you surf in it as it will stretch/mold to you a bit.
When I first put on the Medium I thought "no way" but after taking it off and putting it back on again, my confidence was restored.

Reactions: mundus

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Just FYI 54 degree water is pretty warm for a 5/4. For NY/NJ water temps get into the high 30's in the dead of winter.

In 54 an average 4/3 will keep you pretty toasty.
My flashbomb a 4/3 , and I think it could hang in anything an nc winter might have, even with snow. But jeebus, yall are polar bears out there in 30-40 water temps!