4/3 recommendations

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That looks real nice!
I’ve been wearing 2mm s/s fullsuit up to today. I had ordered an Isurus 3/3mm zipperless and Feral 3/2 chestzip to try on and keep one. Both in LT size and made of the same Yamamoto #40 rubber and felt great: silky, light, flexible. The Feral’s cut and seam placement in the torso made it the most flexible (ie. least restrictive) chest zip I’ve tried. Ultimately, there was slight pulling in the lower back. I have a long torso and this is always where suits don’t fit me and end up putting too much pressure on the seams in the crotch/butt. Will return it but impressed by the feel, construction and quality. wouldn’t hesitate to suggest Feral if sizing works.
The Isurus felt amazing. Just that touch longer in the torso and so much more flexible due to no zipper. Cosiest fullsuit I’ve ever worn with that yamo rubber. Surfed in it today and felt great paddling (like wearing a 1mm top in summer) and no flushing or leaks. Was definitely toasty in the still low 60’s water, but seems like it should be a perfect SD winter suit, maybe adding booties in Jan-Mar. With the discount I lucked into it was actually cheaper than the feral too. I’m stocked, bros!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
That looks real nice!
I’ve been wearing 2mm s/s fullsuit up to today. I had ordered an Isurus 3/3mm zipperless and Feral 3/2 chestzip to try on and keep one. Both in LT size and made of the same Yamamoto #40 rubber and felt great: silky, light, flexible. The Feral’s cut and seam placement in the torso made it the most flexible (ie. least restrictive) chest zip I’ve tried. Ultimately, there was slight pulling in the lower back. I have a long torso and this is always where suits don’t fit me and end up putting too much pressure on the seams in the crotch/butt. Will return it but impressed by the feel, construction and quality. wouldn’t hesitate to suggest Feral if sizing works.
The Isurus felt amazing. Just that touch longer in the torso and so much more flexible due to no zipper. Cosiest fullsuit I’ve ever worn with that yamo rubber. Surfed in it today and felt great paddling (like wearing a 1mm top in summer) and no flushing or leaks. Was definitely toasty in the still low 60’s water, but seems like it should be a perfect SD winter suit, maybe adding booties in Jan-Mar. With the discount I lucked into it was actually cheaper than the feral too. I’m stocked, bros!
Whats the discount? Share the code, man!

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Has any of the custom wetsuit crew tried both Cyber and 7til8? Thinking of trying one or the other.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Whats the discount? Share the code, man!
they’re jerks and only gave it to him. i asked for one as well and they only spammed me to finish checking out my cart.

I kept asking and got no reply. f’em. I bought an O’Neil.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
After trying a new suit for the first time in two years I'm firmly back in the O'neil camp.

The last suit I tried that wasn't was an O'neil was a Flashbomb. The most recent suit an Isurus TI evade.

The Rip curl Flashbomb was warm but not that flexible and disintegrated pretty quickly.

The Isurus feels like surfing in a straight jacket. I simply can't do it. It ruins my sessions. Will keep trying it to see if it stretches out but I'm not convinced.

Still a firm believer that the Hyperfreak series is HANDS DOWN the best option out there today when it comes to flexibility, durability, and warmth.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Still a firm believer that the Hyperfreak series is HANDS DOWN the best option out there today when it comes to flexibility, durability, and warmth.
That Flex is where its at. Picked up a 3/2 hyper freak a couple of weeks back after having the 2mm version I liked. Cant imagine a fullsuit being more flexible.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 technobutter is dank AF.

4/3 that doesn’t wear like a 4/3. Had to get used to their new neck seal, it’s a little different then I remember, but haven’t had a new O’Neil in some years.

I thought my years ago hyperfreak 3/2 comp stretched too quickly. bht that was probably technobutter2 or lower, still dank, just not dank AF. Felt like I was surfing naked.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I recently got a suit from Fahrenheit Celsius. I was skeptical about going back to hipster smooth-skin back-zips, but since I mainly surf SLO now, I needed full wind protection and warmth. sh!t is buttery soft and stretchy asf. Best back-zip smooth skin I've ever used. I just surfed Morro Bay last week with their 3/2 and was toasty. Check em out
I'm a fan of the smoothskin.

Those Fahrenheit Celcius suits remind me of NinePlus. Nineplus used to be all backzip as well (which turned me off from them), but they just came out with a really nice looking chest zip for what seems to be a really fair price. Looks like a Japanese inspired suit coming in at $399 for a 4/3.

1604716892329.png

Reactions: RattimusBeach

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hyperfreak is a dank suit. My only issue is it doesn't have any of the cuff snugging features of the more spendy Psychotech.

Reactions: MathDebater

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I love this forum, constant entertainment. But this thread seems silly. The best wetsuit depends on:

1) what brand fits your body (way more important than #2)
2) do you prefer classic neoprene or the Japanese geoprene

i love the way geoprene feels and how little water it soaks up, but none of the brands have
lining (except Xcel). Since I’m the dude who always puts booties on before everyone else, and then adds a hood before anyone else, lining is important. i have a 2/2 Isuris for summer. It is amazing, but not “warm”.

Xcels and Ripcurl fit my tiny stick legs- so they’re always what I buy. O’Neil and Quiksilver are made in the SAME factories, but are cut for people who have actual calves.

ps- anyone who says Lowers isn’t a good wave loses 13% credibility

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I've busted my cheek open at lowers, broke a fin box and broke a nose... all within 2 months. That place is a zoo and the wave is usually mushy. Nevertheless its the only place that breaks on certain days.
midget bashing? you gotta report the hate crime to the proper authorities immediately after the incident.