4/3 recommendations

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Personally, I found the Hang Air was kinda useless for drying heavy, hard to dry 4/3 and 5/4 Drylocks. I gave to a friend.

For me a dehumidifier is way better and has other uses too. It actually pulls the water out of the air and the tank fills up.

And yeah, I don't really want to put on a wet 5/4 when it's 35 degrees out.
Give that a try, I think I have one.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've been talking to Steve at Cyber. He has a 3/2 (no fleece) and a 3/3 with fleece in my size. The 3/3 with fleece have smoothy on the arms and chest. They look suuuuper butter! He said the 3/3 with fleece is like a 4/3.

To those of you that own Cyber suits... do you think the 3/3 with fleece and smoothy will be too warm for most of the conditions here in SoCal? Do you think the 3/2 without fleece is a good option, or would 3/2 fleece (no smoothy) get more use and be a better option? .

I was quoted $450 for the 3/2 and $520 for the 3/3 w/fleece... or $460 for a custom which includes shipping direct from Japan, but it will take 4-5 weeks because orders are up.

I'm leaning towards the stock 3/2. Any suggestions? @jkb @casa_mugrienta ?

Reactions: urchined

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
3/2 with smoothie front and back is what you need. Fleece lining is a bonus, the water can dip a bit up in your zone, you may be a bit warm at 62 but at 58 you'll be toasty.

3/3 with fleece will be too warm.

Go custom, of course, and request the neck gasket. The water isn;t gonna get that cold yet so you can wait.

Reactions: jkb

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
I've been talking to Steve at Cyber. He has a 3/2 (no fleece) and a 3/3 with fleece in my size. The 3/3 with fleece have smoothy on the arms and chest. They look suuuuper butter! He said the 3/3 with fleece is like a 4/3.

To those of you that own Cyber suits... do you think the 3/3 with fleece and smoothy will be too warm for most of the conditions here in SoCal? Do you think the 3/2 without fleece is a good option, or would 3/2 fleece (no smoothy) get more use and be a better option? .

I was quoted $450 for the 3/2 and $520 for the 3/3 w/fleece... or $460 for a custom which includes shipping direct from Japan, but it will take 4-5 weeks because orders are up.

3/3 with fleece will be too warm. That is what I have, and it worked perfectly for Santa Cruz Fall-Spring. Basically, it was like a toasty 4/3 but more flexible. I'm thinking of getting a 2/2 or a 3/2 for SoCal.

Reactions: jkb and ReForest

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
He was joking

Dryer will ruin your suit.
Just hanging it in a garage near the furnace will ruin it. Yes, it dries fast but it will also shrink it by at least a few sizes over the course of a couple of months.

If the suit is still moist, just use some plastic grocery bags (assuming you hoarded some).

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Don't know if I mentioned it, or someone else did, but having a hooded 4/3 is pretty key up there. I hate the ones that you put on under your suit and the seal is not as good.
My RipCurl has a removable hood. It works about as good as a permanent hood. Makes for a very versatile suit. I've worn this suit in July when an upwelling sent water temps into the mid 50s and I've worn it up until Christmas here in NJ. I really wish they hadn't discontinued this design. I'm probably due to replace it. Still in a 3/2 here but it won't be long now before the cold weather gear is needed. I surfed a few days ago and it was the first time that there was a slight chill entering the water in a 3/2 without boots.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My RipCurl has a removable hood. It works about as good as a permanent hood. Makes for a very versatile suit. I've worn this suit in July when an upwelling sent water temps into the mid 50s and I've worn it up until Christmas here in NJ. I really wish they hadn't discontinued this design. I'm probably due to replace it. Still in a 3/2 here but it won't be long now before the cold weather gear is needed. I surfed a few days ago and it was the first time that there was a slight chill entering the water in a 3/2 without boots.
O'neil mutant has removal hood.

Reactions: johnson7 and sdsrfr

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

I concur with casa and scdad.

Custom 3/2 cyber with smoothskin and a liner will be perfect for you.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
There's a pop up offer, give them your email in exchange for $aving$. And Suess Bong? Bros will love it! Bet the bucket hat sells out ASAP.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and jkb

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
There's a pop up offer, give them your email in exchange for $aving$. And Suess Bong? Bros will love it! Bet the bucket hat sells out ASAP.
i fell for that with O’Neil. Wetsuit shoppers need not apply...

standing by to be proven wrong.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Kento, Everybody from the East Coast to Southern California and from as far as NZ have offered an opinion on a wetsuit for Sonoma County and I am experiencing thread FOMO. So here is my 2c Au and highly controversial approach to wetties.

I googled Sonoma County and it is north of SF. I have lived in the Bay Area and used to surf Santa Cruz and sometimes Ocean Beach. I used similar winter attire as here in Vic. Winter climate is comparable to SF, maybe we get a bit more horrible wet weather here. Surf comparable too - the open beaches are too big and blown out half the time. So what the others say - no a 3/2 won't do it.

Wetsuits are almost like skate shoes - I don't believe in paying full price, the only reasons I can imagine for doing that is if one wanted the latest fashion or have been sucked into craving the latest tech bells and whistles that the advertising offers. A bit of forward planning and taking advantage of the adverts that pop up on our increasingly intrusive social media will always get me something on sale. Bricks and mortar surf shops at end of season can provide some bargains too.

I don't understand why anyone feels the need for a custom wetsuits - I see all sorts of sizes and shapes of human at the beach and none of them are in custom wetties. Neoprene is a very forgiving material. If it is too tight then go up a size - certain bits might be baggy, but all the name brand wetties have decent zip sealing now, so getting blown up like a balloon full of water hasn't happened to me since the 80s or 90s. All but one of my wetties are technically too big for me. The patagonia is an outlier though - even if I could get one my size I couldn't imagine going smaller than my current oversize one. It feels tight enough and getting into it would be a problem.

I might sound like I don't care about wetties, but this is not the case. I believe one of the biggest hindrances to surfing performance is being cold. Muscles are not going to operate properly. So for winter I am looking for something more than a 4/3 steamer. Always attached hoods - hoods and helmets do not affect balance once used to them. I guess they might distract the senses of someone not used to them, but cause me no problems. When it comes to warmth rubber thickness is number one. The importance of fluffy liners and smoothskin panels is completely overrated. My 5.5 Excel Comp which has no smoothskin at all is very warm and going to be warmer than some exotic fluffy lined smooth skin chest panel 4mm.

My consumption of surfboards compared to many on this forum is very modest, but I like to keep a good range in my wetty wardrobe. Maybe fixation is too strong a word, but I do have a lot of them. Spring now, but this winters wardrobe consisted of 5.5 mm hooded Xcel Comp, 5 mm hooded Xcel Drylock, 4.5 mm hooded Pattagonia, 4/3 mm hooded Vissla. Also 2 non hooded wetties for early winter and spring - 5/3 Hurley and 4/3 Narval.

Having this many wetties means it is much easier to get one or another dry for the next session even when I am doing 2 sessions in a day they get at least close to one day of drying time. It seems I am the only one who has been happy with the Pattagonia (30% off made it affordable). The rubber is stiff, but robust and retained its insulation qualities over several season. It started leaking at the end of this winter so I am no longer happy with it. The importance of stretchy rubber for paddling is completely overrated - paddling and popping to the feet is all about fitness.

I don't worry about drying them in some morning or winter sun. I do rinse them well and make sure the water flushes the inside. Hang them for a bit inside out, then turn them the other way and hang some more. Having so many wetties means that they are not spending all their time sopping wet, so they last me over 3 or more seasons. I have a tip for no smell booties - put a little bit of liquid laundry detergent in them, fill them with water then shake and stand them while rinsing the steamer. Then rinse out in the wetty bucket. On the subject of booties I have 2 pairs. 5mm get used in the morning and 3mm for the arvo session. 5mm booties are noticably warmer than 3 and good for chilly mornings. I managed to wear a hole in the sole of my left Billabong 5mm boot in one season - I think it is because it is my skimboard pushing foot.

PS I haven't covered my summer wardrobe as it is not relevant to N Cal water temps - unless one is surfing in the middle of a hot summer day (I don't do that) there would be no need for 3/2, but 3/2 is needed for summer here.