3D Printed Fins

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Anyone else try it?

I'll try to make a long story short....A year ago I didn't really know what a 3D printer was. I was building a custom PC last January, needed some brackets for the CPU cooler, and began my interest in 3D printing. It's been on my bucket list to make a set of fins, but learning the computer aided design software was something that took a back seat, while I experimented with different materials, and modifying my hardware to print them successfully. One of my newer Yolo's is an XTR Hydrodynamica Mini Simmons, and it looks like the fin boxes were placed too close to the tail, putting the trailing edge of most of my fin choices off the rear of the board. The captain fin ESPECIAL moves the fin forward a little, as well as the NVS Blackbird, but I took advantage of a recent flat spell to buckle down, and learn the software to design my own. After some experimentation, I was able to design my own foil, and move the leading edge of the fin forward of the fin box. I had to put a hole in the design to allow access to the grub screw. The material I ended up using is PETG (as seen on the white keels) however the materials that are becoming available in the 3D printing world is evolving. The black set is nylon with 20 percent carbon fiber. I used the white ones this morning for the first time. They worked, I'm excited, but need more time to judge any performance characteristics. My current fin has a 4.5 degree cant, and a flat foil on the inside.

Anyway, I posted this to see if anyone else here has tried this. I bet a real engineer could come up with some great designs.

20221214_190658.jpg20221211_101642.jpg20221214_184349.jpg20221214_184645.jpg20221214_185006.jpg

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Thats awesome. I haven't done fins, but as a 3d artist we used to do a lot of printing at our studio. Pretty cool tech. Mostly character related prints from digital sculpts I would do, but a coworker did do some flip flops one time with a rubber filament that turned out surprisingly well. Always debated getting one at my place or a cnc. Seems like a good fit for what your doing.

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
What design software are you using? Does it allow you to adjust the location of the thickest part of the foil? What I mean, is, if you picture an airfoil, there is a portion of that foil that is the thickest. The location of the thickest portion of the foil with respect to the leading edge of the foil.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
What design software are you using? Does it allow you to adjust the location of the thickest part of the foil? What I mean, is, if you picture an airfoil, there is a portion of that foil that is the thickest. The location of the thickest portion of the foil with respect to the leading edge of the foil.
I am using Fusion 360. I am sure there are multiple ways to do what you are asking with the software, but the method I used was to outline the foil from the top first, so to move the thickest part of the foil around between the leading and trailing edges, would be simpleScreenshot 2022-12-15 080407.png

I watched this video to help me get started, but since there is no audio ( a good thing in hindsight,) I was forced to learn some basics with Fusion 360.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Over on Swaylocks there is a thread where a guy created 3D print files to make fin boxes and 3D print files to make a set of molds so you could make your own fins. Laying up the materials and resin in a set of molds is the better path for fins. If it were me, my molds would be slightly oversized so I could sand and shape a little bit to get to the final shape. His files are public.

Reactions: Jamby and 000
Mar 7, 2018
maybe a bit "emotional" now but..... fins havent changed much for many years (except for size/minor shape).
i think this is for a reason.
you can dabble as much as you like and all the best to you but fins are only a part of the story.
make your own and you will probably find what you like.
but the flex is an important factor and there isnt much to replicate fibreglass in that aspect.
3D printed/shaped fibreglass might open some doors.
good luck to you my man.

Reactions: 000