3 kooks from Riverside

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
How dare they surf next to you! Kick their butt.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
surfed thumping beachbrak closeouts iwth my biddy this moring. somehow this du decided the 20 feet beween my buddy and I was the spot not one on either side of my buddy and I for at least 1/4-1/2 mile
Tuesday and Wednesday this week at different beach breaks I was sitting on peak solo and a adult learner on a midlength paddled out and sat directly 10’ outside of me so as I sat there looking out to sea my vision was obscured by their back and head. Then first set that comes they both turned and went as if I didn’t exist. Fortunately both times that first wave was sh!t and I didn’t want it but I was already plotting how to complete the most obnoxious drop in I could do and the following lecture about a lineup rotation, respecting a local, etc. it seems like regardless of lack of experience common sense for most should be enough to not do that.

Reactions: Havoc

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Tuesday and Wednesday this week at different beach breaks I was sitting on peak solo and a adult learner on a midlength paddled out and sat directly 10’ outside of me so as I sat there looking out to sea my vision was obscured by their back and head. Then first set that comes they both turned and went as if I didn’t exist. Fortunately both times that first wave was sh!t and I didn’t want it but I was already plotting how to complete the most obnoxious drop in I could do and the following lecture about a lineup rotation, respecting a local, etc. it seems like regardless of lack of experience common sense for most should be enough to not do that.
I read this a common theme here. I know the shaming on spot naming, but sheesh, I need to know where to avoid. This happened to me earlier this year. I premptively, politely, told em to move one way or the other. Something about I was worried that I might run into them.

Riverside? Pretty big place. We talkin Temecula, which is fairly close to Oceanside. Or we talking Hemet, Chino, City of Riverside?

Reactions: sdsrfr

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Do you get towed on that @steamroller ?

no prone paddled into um...out at kaisers yesterday morning hi tide...cant sit on it cause i sink up to my eyeballs...and basically just bodysurfing takeoff without fins right under the lip...fun for about 20 min till you get tired ...then really not fun anymore...

i got a new ultra respect for Bethany hamilton !...catching waves way underpowered is HARD!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You got 000'd.
Side note - less experienced surfers might feel safety being next to others. They are insecure of their skills. there have been more shark sightings, and some just want to meet new people? It's kinda sad and funny how serious people get in the water - unless it's serious conditions. How about saying "good morning" and paddle down a few yards?
Insecure n00bs don't turn your solo session into a WQS contest. Insecure n00bs don't paddle out 4-6+ deep on soft tops and have zero regard for repeatedly burning people as fast as they possibly can. Insecure n00bs don't immediately try to assert priority, first fckng thing, on someone surfing alone, like happened to tedshred.

That's not someone paddling out to share. That's someone paddling out to steal.

Thank heavens it's November and all of this will be way less of a problem for the next several months around here.

Tuesday and Wednesday this week at different beach breaks I was sitting on peak solo and a adult learner on a midlength paddled out and sat directly 10’ outside of me so as I sat there looking out to sea my vision was obscured by their back and head. Then first set that comes they both turned and went as if I didn’t exist.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i really expected more comments on the florida surf fight i posted

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
gotta use the sheep mentality to your advantage. Paddle them out of position like a shepherd.

works better with a buddy :)
I did this once at Playa Negra. I finally won a paddle battle against an insufferable one-man-crowd asshole and he burned me. So I paddled him 20 yards too deep and sat there. He wound up chasing foam and spending more time caught inside by dint of being too deep and not making it. After 20 minutes, I heard something about how it was fun all of a sudden while asshole was caught inside. I piped up and said you're welcome, explained the gambit, and asked whose turn it was. 0 takers, including two buddies on the trip with me I'd been surfing with since we were 8.
I paddled back to the correct takeoff spot, flagrantly burned the f--k out of the asshole and two of the dead weighters as fast as I could paddle back out, then sat just wide/in and poached waves blown by dint of too much hassling. WTF.

i really expected more comments on the florida surf fight i posted
it was kind of hard to follow
Meh, seems pretty standard for Florida
Northside Flagler Pier. Flagler is a kind of everyone-knows-everyone place. The times I've surfed it, there's been waves to go around, and there were never 12 mouths that tight on top of each other, with some just flat out refusing to share. It can be fickle but it can also turn into a lot of fun (for Florida). That kind of slightly messy windswell pictured is good conditions for Florida imho - it's not walled and it'll readily push a shortboard, and there's probably smackable lips in many places, not just a couple.

I am not sure if there was some dicing/problems earlier. Observance of surfing's written rules in North Florida can be hit and miss, and the unwritten rules aren't nearly as well known as in (most of?) California. Lots of people will hassle for every ripple they could possibly contest the takeoff on. Lots of people paddle around like they own off-brand B/C grade beachbreak in public parks and just flagrantly fucking ruin other people like they don't exist because reasons, and when you do it to them, or buzz them off, or bump rails, you get their retarded indignant self-serving horseshit.

Listen to the guy complaining in the video. He says something about burning on one wave. Maybe the other guy was constantly paddling five feet deeper like the next one is his - would make sense at the Pier. The other option is mentioned just above. An entitled intermediate knowingly ruined the f--k out of the next guy because reasons.