3 board travel quiver

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Posting my review of Aruka's Padillac:

Beautiful board, looked great on wall. About a foot and a half longer than anything I ride around here, so those dings are from me waving it around indoors while baked, pretending.

(extremely unlikely event I paddled it out)

Uhhh, yeah, so Sharkbiscuit paddled out. No idea what he was thinking; you're a long way from Slopteenth Ave North, bud. Judging from the brown markings about mid-board where the "assid" ate into the glass job, he shat hisself furiously right about the time he got smashed and died. Board's fine though other than the skidmarks.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka Do you go XTR or poly on your barrel boards? What glass schedule?
Both of my Ghosts are XTR w/ wood stringer and 8.C glassing. They go great in the tube. My bigger round pins like the Stamps Next Step, Super Pigdog Pro and Rusty Blackbird are Poly. I don't know if I really have a preference for barrel riding. I really like the way XTR surfs but it is a little bit livelier than PU so if there's a lot of bumps maybe a PU board cuts through them a little better but honestly I've ridden the Ghosts in every kind of wind torn, sloppy, powerful condition and between those slender rails and that narrower round pin it always hold in really well.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Both of my Ghosts are XTR w/ wood stringer and 8.C glassing. They go great in the tube. My bigger round pins like the Stamps Next Step, Super Pigdog Pro and Rusty Blackbird are Poly. I don't know if I really have a preference for barrel riding. I really like the way XTR surfs but it is a little bit livelier than PU so if there's a lot of bumps maybe a PU board cuts through them a little better but honestly I've ridden the Ghosts in every kind of wind torn, sloppy, powerful condition and between those slender rails and that narrower round pin it always hold in really well.
Cool. Ive got 8.0 on my shortboards and its still super light. Might do the same when i order another ghost. Almost tempted to to 6+4/6.

Reactions: Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I've just always heard yellow is attractive to sharks and whether or not that is strictly true I don't need that thought floating around my head while chasing big open ocean peaks.
I know - Yummy Yellow.

Do sharks see colours, or just shapes, though? I have no idea. And your blue spear looks fcuken unreal.

I often surf stormy, cloudy conditions, and in murky water, and a yellow board just really cheers me up. Plus, they're easy to spot, adding a bit of safety.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Sharks are color blind.
Yeah but supposedly high contrast colors are more attractive to them? Fck if I know but after Mick got taste tested at J-Bay on his yellow spray DHD I'm not taking any chances.

Took the Padillac out today. Waves were shite but I managed to find a few shoulders. It wasn't huge, just like a head n a half or so but it was all over the place so I figured it was as good a time as any to try the thing out. I'm glad I took it out because it was definitely an adjustment to surf and took me a while to figure it out. It's so buoyant and has so much foam up front it was a trip to figure out where to paddle it from. I've never really ridden anything quite like it. I did get two fun ones, lefts from way out the back. Tide flooded it out after like 45 min so I went in and surfed the inside bar on my shortboard. I wanna ride this thing a couple more times before I charge anything crazy on it because it still feels like I have some things to figure out.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Yeah but supposedly high contrast colors are more attractive to them? Fck if I know but after Mick got taste tested at J-Bay on his yellow spray DHD I'm not taking any chances.
Superstition. The sharks we give a sh!t about / are sh!t scared of, don't have colour receptive cones.

The mantis shrimp however... ALL HAIL THE MANTIS SHRIMP

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I would bring

5'10" Stamps fuse (although in slightly slimmer dims than my current one)
6'0" Flyer F, stock dims. Such a classic. Agree with Havoc, comes out when it's shoulder high.
6'4" Source single fin rounded-pin. This has worked well in larger stuff in Kauai.