2nd time torn labrum

Njryan

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 25, 2011
Tore my labrum 3 years ago in Barbados, did PT and felt ok but not the same. Injured again 8 weeks ago, took a month off did my exercises and I’m at 20% strength. Getting a Cat scan tomorrow to see how bad of a tear. Any info of how you feel today, rehab time, or Advice greatly appreciate.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There's a bit of controversy regarding labrum tears. For me, If at all possible I would go the conservative route and decline surgery and work on rehab but every case is different and shoulder instability could change my thinking.

Given the time since the injury and also depending on your age I think a good surgeon is going to opt for continued rehab unless the cat scan shows something that in his mind makes healing impossible.

I generally disagree with saying things like, no "X" for 6 weeks or whatever......but if its surgically repaired you probably won't exceed 10 weeks before perhaps long boarding your way back into paddling shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki and Njryan

Njryan

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 25, 2011
Ahhhhhh.....turns out torn rotator cuff. Surgery in 2 weeks out for 6 months. Everyone on the east coast your welcome!

• Sad
Reactions: Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Tore my labrum 3 years ago in Barbados, did PT and felt ok but not the same. Injured again 8 weeks ago, took a month off did my exercises and I’m at 20% strength. Getting a Cat scan tomorrow to see how bad of a tear. Any info of how you feel today, rehab time, or Advice greatly appreciate.

Njryan

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 25, 2011
So been back in the water since July from rotator cuff surgery and rehab.

Having major issues catching waves and popping up, in everyday life no issues with my shoulder.

I got rid of some boards that I struggled on and planning on ordering some with some more volume.

Anyone else gone threw the same? is this my future norm ?
thanks in advance

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Having major issues catching waves and popping up, in everyday life no issues with my shoulder.

I got rid of some boards that I struggled on and planning on ordering some with some more volume.

thanks in advance
Not with the shoulder, but with the back. Out for six months, greatly reduced ability for another six. I'm two years out and now about 80%. Pulling into tubes is harder than before. I've been dodging the closed out ones.

Take your time and be happy to be in the water doing what you love.

Exercise and train when not surfing.

Reactions: Njryan

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

thanks in advance

have you paddled in flat water at all to build the muscle slowly without too much strain? There's a big difference between a slow steady paddle and surfing waves, even if you're taking it easy.

for me, a moderate volume board is the best. something i can sink for duckdiving but not too low volume where I'm plowing water. my first days back in the water after shoulder issues were on big boards in really small waves. Anything other than that would aggravate it.

getting back into normal routine, the lower volume boards where I could sink the board on a duck dive were the best. higher volume, thick boards actually made things worse.

YMMV.

Good luck. As I said above, shoulders suck. Keep exercising to keep your stability even when you don't think you need it

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021

thanks in advance
I dislocated my left shoulder extremely aggressively a few years ago. It kept falling out of socket doing the simplest things for 3 months til I decided to get surgery. Turning a doorknob, opening a jar, sexy time, even once or twice while sleeping.

Got the surgery and everything got crazy tightened up. I lost a lot of ROM and didn't have confidence to go surfing again for almost 5 months. But I went 110% on PT and it feels back to strength, the only issue is I lost like 50% on external rotation and still feel pretty cautious with my shoulder, although haven't had any issues.

Since the surgery I lost a lot of stamina in the shoulder so I moved onto higher volume boards for paddling. I've always been fine with push-ups and did a lot of weird pushup variations during PT so duckdiving doesn't bother me or give me shoulder issues. I duckdive a 39 liter 6'5" @170lbs fine and just got a shorter guy in the 36 liter range.

Just listen to your body and don't rush anything. Stop when it hurts and you'll eventually be back. Do your PT religiously and accept your injury. Also my wave count has tripled since moving on from 30 liters..

And yes, don't stop exercising that shoulder even when you think you're fully recovered or 100% again.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I just got these results.....more PT already scheduled:

MR SHOULDER WITHOUT CONTRAST, RIGHT 8/27/2023 7:44 AM

CLINICAL HISTORY: Shoulder pain
Trauma 2 months of shoulder pain after side plank. Reported shoulder injury 5 years ago with decreased range of motion.

COMPARISON: Right shoulder radiograph 8/7/2023

TECHNIQUE: Multiple MRI sequences of the shoulder were acquired at 3 Tesla without intravenous contrast.

FINDINGS:

Osseous acromial outlet: No osteoarthritis at the acromioclavicular joint. No os acromiale. Trace subacromial/subdeltoid bursal fluid. Mild thickening of the coracoacromial ligament.

Rotator cuff muscles and tendons: Mild posterior infraspinatus tendinosis without tear. The supraspinatus, subscapularis, and teres minor are intact without evidence of tendinosis or tear. Muscles are intact without evidence of atrophy or edema.

Labral and capsular structures: Degenerative tearing of the superior through anterior inferior labrum. No paralabral cyst. Mild thickening and T2 intermediate signal within the inferior glenohumeral ligament.

Biceps tendon and anchor: The intra-articular and extra-articular portions of the biceps tendon are intact. Mild extra-articular biceps tenosynovitis.

Osseous and cartilaginous structures: Bone marrow signal is within normal limits. No fracture or dislocation. No focal chondral defect.

Miscellaneous: No significant joint effusion. No intra-articular bodies. The remaining muscles are normal in bulk without evidence of atrophy or edema.

IMPRESSION:

1. Degenerative tearing of the superior through anterior inferior labrum.

2. Mild thickening and increased T2 signal within the inferior glenohumeral ligament which can be seen in the setting of adhesive capsulitis.

3. Mild extra-articular biceps tenosynovitis without tendinosis or tear.

4. Mild infraspinatus tendinosis without tear.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I just got these results.....more PT already scheduled:

MR SHOULDER WITHOUT CONTRAST, RIGHT 8/27/2023 7:44 AM

CLINICAL HISTORY: Shoulder pain
Trauma 2 months of shoulder pain after side plank. Reported shoulder injury 5 years ago with decreased range of motion.

COMPARISON: Right shoulder radiograph 8/7/2023

TECHNIQUE: Multiple MRI sequences of the shoulder were acquired at 3 Tesla without intravenous contrast.

FINDINGS:

Osseous acromial outlet: No osteoarthritis at the acromioclavicular joint. No os acromiale. Trace subacromial/subdeltoid bursal fluid. Mild thickening of the coracoacromial ligament.

Rotator cuff muscles and tendons: Mild posterior infraspinatus tendinosis without tear. The supraspinatus, subscapularis, and teres minor are intact without evidence of tendinosis or tear. Muscles are intact without evidence of atrophy or edema.

Labral and capsular structures: Degenerative tearing of the superior through anterior inferior labrum. No paralabral cyst. Mild thickening and T2 intermediate signal within the inferior glenohumeral ligament.

Biceps tendon and anchor: The intra-articular and extra-articular portions of the biceps tendon are intact. Mild extra-articular biceps tenosynovitis.

Osseous and cartilaginous structures: Bone marrow signal is within normal limits. No fracture or dislocation. No focal chondral defect.

Miscellaneous: No significant joint effusion. No intra-articular bodies. The remaining muscles are normal in bulk without evidence of atrophy or edema.

IMPRESSION:

1. Degenerative tearing of the superior through anterior inferior labrum.

2. Mild thickening and increased T2 signal within the inferior glenohumeral ligament which can be seen in the setting of adhesive capsulitis.

3. Mild extra-articular biceps tenosynovitis without tendinosis or tear.

4. Mild infraspinatus tendinosis without tear.
Looks perfectly normal and age appropriate. I wouldn't stress about it. If whatever you did in the past didn't help... more of it isn't going to do much better.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
0 How is this perfectly normal? "Degenerative tearing of the superior through anterior inferior labrum. "
1 Injured the labrum during surfing on fall, outstretched arm torque the shoulder 5 or so years back. Just recently reinjured it.
2 Then PT helped recover to pain free, 100% motion.
3 Am hopeful similar mindset and getting back on the PT trail will bring similar results from the reinjury.
4 Right now, makes it painful to paddle around or put T-shirt on over the head by extending arms. Would like that to go away.

Last edited: