2A interpretation

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I read an opinion the other day that essentially says the 2d Amendment was not written to apply to period firearms or, to semi-automatic, automatic, large magazine, clip or other varieties of firearms which had not yet been invented. The 2d Amendment was written to restrict the government. The restriction on the government remains the same, no matter the type of firearm. The 2d Amendment wasn’t written to give citizens ‘permission’ to own and bear a firearm. The 2d Amendment forbids the government from interfering in the citizen’s right to own and bear arms. The right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed, period.

I am not a ‘gun nut’ or proponent of unchecked ownership of firearms but, it seems parts of the population are. The courts are looking at the local communities around the Del Mar fair grounds petition to stop ‘gun shows’ at the State and County properties. That local Del Mar and Solana Beach vocal group’s efforts to regulate a legal ‘trade show’ is the height of arrogance IMO and I trust that the courts will find in favor of the show producers and those who attend these events (I’m not an attendee).

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
john4surf said:
The 2d Amendment wasn’t written to give citizens ‘permission’ to own and bear a firearm. The 2d Amendment forbids the government from interfering in the citizen’s right to own and bear arms. The right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed, period.
Correct.

Our Constitution is a document of negative rights i.e. it restricts government action.

The Founders were already aware of gun control efforts in places like Britain and sought to prevent such from happening here.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
“Forty years ago, when the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually.”

That the people have a Right to mass and to bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the Body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper natural and safe defense of a free state, that standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided.

—George Mason, Speech at the Virginia Constitutional Ratifying Convention, June 14th, 1778

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
"Shall not be infringed"

So if my toddler wants a gun, the government is forbidden from preventing him access? Wow, parenting could take a crazy turn.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
What part of "Shall not be infringed" are you not understanding? Why do you hate patriotic toddlers so much?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Phi1 said:
"Shall not be infringed"

So if my toddler wants a gun, the government is forbidden from preventing him access? Wow, parenting could take a crazy turn.
He'll be fine.

Give him the car keys and send him to the liquor store.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
casa_mugrienta said:
john4surf said:
The 2d Amendment wasn’t written to give citizens ‘permission’ to own and bear a firearm. The 2d Amendment forbids the government from interfering in the citizen’s right to own and bear arms. The right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed, period.
Correct.

Our Constitution is a document of negative rights i.e. it restricts government action.

The Founders were already aware of gun control efforts in places like Britain and sought to prevent such from happening here.
It wasn't just "gun" control, it was arms control in general. Commoners were not allowed to carry swords, nobility were

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
GromsDad said:
Hell, I wasn't much more than a toddler when I got my first BB Gun. First real gun before I was a teen. Guns were never in a safe either. That's what growing up in the country is like.
I grew up in the hood, but in a family that hunted with extended family in the country. We had a big backyard and my brother and I would shoot BB guns in it all day long from a young age.

I shot a .22 for the first time at 4 and was bird hunting by 8. Granted, real guns were always under adult supervision and my dad was a marksmanship instructor in the Air Force but kids being taught gun safety and usage from an early age is a lot safer than avoiding them and being terrified of them

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
ifallalot said:
GromsDad said:
Hell, I wasn't much more than a toddler when I got my first BB Gun. First real gun before I was a teen. Guns were never in a safe either. That's what growing up in the country is like.
I grew up in the hood, but in a family that hunted with extended family in the country. We had a big backyard and my brother and I would shoot BB guns in it all day long from a young age.

I shot a .22 for the first time at 4 and was bird hunting by 8. Granted, real guns were always under adult supervision and my dad was a marksmanship instructor in the Air Force but kids being taught gun safety and usage from an early age is a lot safer than avoiding them and being terrified of them
Guns were serious business growing up NEVER to be treated as toys. We were never allowed to have toy guns of any kind. Heck we would have gotten yelled at for pretend shooting each other with finger guns. We threw dirtbombs and rocks instead. :rock: We were taught respect and safety. Was shooting the .22 alone behind my grandparent's house at 10 or 11. Got my firearm and archery hunting licenses at 12. Took my first deer solo at 15 and more rabbits squirrels and quail than I could count before that.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
GromsDad said:
I grew up the same. We used to shoot each other with Daisy BB guns. I had a 20 gauge of my own when I was 9. Kept it in my closet. Shells were with my hunting stuff, in a game bag. Had a 22 also. I grew up it a small city. Never a pistol in our house. We’re hunters, not criminals.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
1whoknows said:
GromsDad said:
I grew up the same. We used to shoot each other with Daisy BB guns. I had a 20 gauge of my own when I was 9. Kept it in my closet. Shells were with my hunting stuff, in a game bag. Had a 22 also. I grew up it a small city. Never a pistol in our house. We’re hunters, not criminals.
Pistols are criminal guns?

I need someone to report my wife.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
MaxKookage said:
1whoknows said:
GromsDad said:
Pistols are criminal guns?
Most gun crime is committed with a pistol.

Concealble and easy to transport.

Easy to use at close distance.

Maneuverable and you can keep a hand free while holding it to someone's head, for instance.