26. how many other non partakers out there?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
The new perspective is, with a little care and an open mind, truly a gift. If you've ever gotten a gift that brought tears to your eyes, this is like that sometimes.
Didn't see that coming.
Sometimes it sucks pretty bad though, but trust that the doggy-door will present itself.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
The new perspective is, with a little care and an open mind, truly a gift. If you've ever gotten a gift that brought tears to your eyes, this is like that sometimes.
Didn't see that coming.
Sometimes it sucks pretty bad though, but trust that the doggy-door will present itself.
I know what you mean. On tuesday after getting back from a week in Central America and closing a few sales at work (i was in the zone), I was sitting there feeling reallllllly good. I had never felt that good sober and it was almost scary...like when is the bottom going to drop out. Kinda trippy.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Used to love getting a nice beer buzz and then smoking a bunch.
Did that combo plenty senior year hs and added No2 "hippy crack". The very best was bong hits before dentist and then going in for cavity and thc+novacaine=very spacy high:bricks:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
12-24/week is moderate? sh!t. In my 20s, that was pretty much daily intake, mostly via vodka, tequila, rum, beam, jack, etc., pretty much close to 5th/day, combined with a beer or two. Never slowed me down from surfing, snowboarding, or running pickup games even though some vicious hangovers. Was still in relatively decent shape but then young kids, long commutes for work, good food, less activity, that all caught up hard. Had stopped smoking weed at that point, which also did not help the alcohol intake.

People look at me funny when I say that alcohol is a stimulant. But I bet Subway and B5F know exactly what I'm talking about. Awaken that dragon and massive energy and keep chasing that dragon; let carnage ensue. It's a damn good thing I never really got into coke beyond a few parties here and there - I run at a pretty high gear anyways just baseline so yeah, not a good idea.

Nowadays? Yeah, I still toss them back but pretty much just on the weekends, maybe go through a couple four/six packs or so of some local beer but nothing during the week. Do still burn every day. Also a stimulant but I dunno about paranoia - maybe depends on the strain? Edibles are so hit and miss I hate them. Sometimes 20 mg fucks me up and other times 100 mg does nothing.

I live by the ol' do sober the next morning what you said you'd do drunk the night before. That's exactly how I got myself competitive running even though never ran for sh!t until a few years ago. And now running first marathon on Sunday. See how that goes - you do get two free beers at the finish line so that should help motivate.

Alternate dragon being chased and being fed gluttonously now. And I should be in some damn good cardio shape for this fall/winter. So there's that.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I only like gummies from curaleaf. Highly consistent. That same 20 mg will feel the same week after week. And their new “nano bites” kick in after 15 minutes, so there is none of that “did I eat enough?” Because you will know quite quickly if you have indeed eaten enough. They come in hybrid and indica. Favorite edible on the market rn. Magical for the concert last night

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yeah I only like gummies from curaleaf. Highly consistent. That same 20 mg will feel the same week after week. And their new “nano bites” kick in after 15 minutes, so there is none of that “did I eat enough?” Because you will know quite quickly if you have indeed eaten enough. They come in hybrid and indica. Favorite edible on the market rn. Magical for the concert last night
I'll have to keep an eye out for those. I usually have gotten the Canha ones; they're OK. The Sensi-Chews were by far and away the best but think they got regulated out of existence.

Seeing Jane's Addiction in November - definitely going to want to be in the right frame of mind for that.

Oh yeah one side benefit of the running and (somewhat) cutting back on beer is that am lightest I've been since college, 195 and dropping. Endurance/stamina pretty damn good too. Being able to do that Gorgonio/San Bernardino 9 peak traverse in one day a few weeks ago, hiking most of that 30 miles above 10,000' was a major confidence booster and opened my mind a bit to what I might be capable of and what next? Dunno but definitely gonna have fun doing it. New addictions to chase are always good.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I think it’s pretty cool you still ”burn” even though you don’t drink. I think some of the programs have a “weed counts” rule whereby when one doesn’t drink anymore, he can’t burn anymore.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
Just turned 24, but I feel like I'm in a grey area because of various prescription drugs and my CBD/THC tincture that I take. No alcohol or street drugs, though, and I never take anything with the intention of getting high (although I accidentally got high once. It was funny but not fun. It doesn't count as a relapse if I hated every minute, does it?)

And congratulations on your soberversary!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Just turned 24, but I feel like I'm in a grey area because of various prescription drugs and my CBD/THC tincture that I take. No alcohol or street drugs, though, and I never take anything with the intention of getting high (although I accidentally got high once. It was funny but not fun. It doesn't count as a relapse if I hated every minute, does it?)

• Haha
Reactions: Witchipoo

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I think it’s pretty cool you still ”burn” even though you don’t drink. I think some of the programs have a “weed counts” rule whereby when one doesn’t drink anymore, he can’t burn anymore.
yeah that's a pretty big, I don't know, point of contention, or whatever, in the traditional AA program. I know SOME real hard core old sober guys, full on big book thumpers who met Bill W himself type of guys- some of those guys DO burn, and think it has nothing to do with staying sober. But there are many, many others who take a much harder line about that. I think most folks who are opposed to recovering alcoholics indulging in cannabis believe that it will inevitably lead a person back to the bottle. I don't think they see it so much as breaking some sacred rule, it's more about the risk it may pose for some drunks in their efforts to stay off the sauce and rebuild their lives

Reactions: averagejoe

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

IMHO, if you know you are sober in all the ways that matter, you're sober. no gray area about it

Happy Birthday! I always thought it was funny you eccentric Californians calling anniversaries "birthdays" ;)

Talk about terminal uniqueness LOL

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
i've been to those groups all over the world. weed is a big no no to 99% of the members. but i don't give a fuck. if you aren't in danger of your liver exploding or your pancreas coming out of your skin, or not slamming dope in your dick vein any longer, good for you. weed has killed 0 people in the history of the entire earth, so there's that. i may be a small % of people in those groups that doesn't care, but i really don't. hard drugs and alcohol kill. weed? not a thing. just not my thing. i swore off everything. still sticking to that. what other people do is their business.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
Out of curiosity, when/at what age did most of you who are sober make the change?

I'm in my mid 20s and while I still do drink (most weekends with a whisky or two sometimes on week nights), It already feels like it's starting to lose its appeal for me. It's just not as fun as it used to be. I used to drink more heavily a few years ago but that seemed to naturally sort itself out when work/responsibilities started to kick in

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The devil's lettuce stopped doing it for me around age 30/31. Started working a grown up job with long days and high expectations, where everyday was a never ending series of unpleasant interactions, so being baked on the job was a non-starter. When I would partake late in the evening, by then I could really take stock of whether it made me feel better. At that point I realized it didn't, so I stopped pretty much cold turkey.

As for booze, I rarely get hammered but I usually put down 2 beers/day and a few extra on the weekends.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

oh and I never get baked during the work day, at home or the office. Not on any moral stance, it would just make the day twice as long…30 second emails take 5 minutes. 10 minute proposals take a half hour, etc

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink