***2023 Hurricane Season Thread***

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
we've had such a fun run over surf over the past month to 6 weeks. Warm water, fun surf. makes me rethink a lot of my boards. surfing waves with some power is a nice change. hasn't felt very much like VB lately.

Saw a guy with a Bonzer today - rare sighting for around here.
Yeah it’s been nice. I even caught north end REALLY fun at end of August - usually don’t mess with VB at all , but that day was incredibly enjoyable, long waves too

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Any you storm nuts know of a similar storm to Lee that just parked itself like this for a couple days?

do you guys ever build a fetch like this?

I doubt a single model will be right, it’ll need to hit the buoys first, and there seem to be quite a few of them in the NE.
One of the best swells I have ever seen on the east coast was October 1989. A sub tropical low stalled off the east coast on this side of Bermuda. 10 days of overhead waves and offshore winds. It was warm and dry. Water still mid to upper 60s. Day after day of tubes at southside of Indian River Inlet. This past Idalia swell was very good too. Perfect chest to head high lefts for 5 days in a row.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Gordon in the mid-90s.

I think that one year we were halfway through the greek alphabet a couple parked.

Margot is parked right now and if it wasn't for Lee, would be the start of the last few pages of this tread.

We've had a couple slower movers over the years and some retrograders. Lots of the May cutoff lows will do something like this, but they typically favor Florida and the Southeast more than a slow moving, large wind field storm tracking towards New England in the swell window.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah the home cams are looking better and better. crowded, but lots of a frames. spread out, sort of. barrels everywhere. I'll in the water by 3, and hopefully surf until dark (or exhaustion and fatigue sets in, as per the old guys thread)

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Perhaps a little hyperbolic but honestly I’ve seen some pretty insane waves on the cams in the last couple hours

the “where do I surf?!” Cycle in my head is in full swing.

one marquis spot has hundreds. The other looks pretty damn good too and has a couple dozen. That may be the deciding factor

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah that’s the one with hundreds. But that’s a big stretch of peaks when it’s this good.

Dammit.

Screw it. It’s firing. I can always jump out and drive to another jetty if need be

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Man I should have surfed down here it’s going off
IMG_0883.jpeg
IMG_0885.jpeg

no crowd either. I got some fun ones but it’s dredging down here at mid high-ish tideIMG_0887.jpeg

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Reactions: Boneroni