Telegram Messenger.
Snapchat.
Skype.
IMO.
Facebook Messenger.
Discord.
WeChat.

The list goes on.... :poke:
If you use a pay as you go cell phone or monthly service and cell signal with any of those apps your data bill/charges will get dinged. Facebook and Whastapp were the first and are the only ones that are almost universally free when it comes to data charges from the cell provider. This is because Facebook makes special deals with those Telecom companies.

Of course they are free with a WIFI signal, but that's not the point, because low income people in developing world countries typically don't have hard wired internet in their homes.

Nobody has been caught in more lies than you.

backpedal
Me pointing out your blatant mischaracterizations of my posts is not backpedaling, learn the difference already :poke:

You said WhatApp is providing internet access, you fucking moron
No- I said Facebook, idiot. See below, if you can read (which you obviously can't)

LOL It's not a web browsing feature, dummy. You literally got every single thing in this post wrong.
"Facebook has signed up almost half the countries in Africa – a combined population of 635 million – to its free internet service in a controversial move to corner the market in one of the world’s biggest mobile data growth regions. ""

"His Free Basics initiative, in which mobile users are able to access the site free of data charges, is available in 42 countries, more than half of them in Africa."
:roflmao:
Wrong again dumfuk :loser:

Are they shadow banning on WhatsApp? WTF does this have to do with 1st amendment or anything we're discussing in this thread??
No, they aren't. It goes back to my point that we are giving enormous amounts of power over to tech giants. Something to be mindful of.

Also- I've been able to troll you and Afoaf with it :beer:

semantics
So pointing out what I actually typed, as opposed to your mischaracterization and twisted interpretation, is "Semantics" :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
If you use a pay as you go cell phone or monthly service and cell signal with any of those apps your data bill/charges will get dinged. Facebook and Whastapp were the first and are the only ones that are almost universally free when it comes to data charges from the cell provider. This is because Facebook makes special deals with those Telecom companies.

Of course they are free with a WIFI signal, but that's not the point, because low income people in developing world countries typically don't have hard wired internet in their homes.

Nobody has been caught in more lies than you.

Me pointing out your blatant mischaracterizations of my posts is not backpedaling, learn the difference already :poke:

No- I said Facebook, idiot. See below, if you can read (which you obviously can't)

"Facebook has signed up almost half the countries in Africa – a combined population of 635 million – to its free internet service in a controversial move to corner the market in one of the world’s biggest mobile data growth regions. "
Wrong again dumfuk :loser:

No, they aren't. It goes back to my point that we are giving enormous amounts of power over to tech giants. Something to be mindful of.

Also- I've been able to troll you and Afoaf with it :beer:

So pointing out what I actually typed, as opposed to your mischaracterization and twisted interpretation, is "Semantics" :unsure:
again, I listed 10 other services that are identical to Whatsapp.

You got literally every single thing wrong.

You are a fucking moron.

Enjoy circular arguments with yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
again, I listed 10 other services that are identical to Whatsapp.
Yes- they apps themselves are free to use from the app provider. However the data charge from the cell phone company is not free. This is especially true in developing countries, where Facebook makes a special deal with the Telecom providers to make FB/Whatsapp data charge free over cell phone signals.

That is the crucial point that you are either not understanding or you are intentionally sidestepping around.

In case you missed it:
"Facebook has signed up almost half the countries in Africa – a combined population of 635 million – to its free internet service in a controversial move to corner the market in one of the world’s biggest mobile data growth regions. ""

"His Free Basics initiative, in which mobile users are able to access the site free of data charges, is available in 42 countries, more than half of them in Africa."

You got literally every single thing wrong.

You are a fucking moron.

Enjoy circular arguments with yourself.
Look in the mirror, kook! :loser: :beer:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Just stop grape boi, you are making your self look even dumber than usual, quite an accomplishment.

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

"Facebook teamed with local MVNO Virgin Mobile Mexico for the latest launch of Free Basics, the product of its internet.org initiative, as it attempts to reach the half of the country’s population who are not online. "

:roflmao: The hits keep coming :roflmao: :beer:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Just stop grape boi, you are making your self look even dumber than usual, quite an accomplishment.
Check the links, dumfuk, I’ve proven that I’m right on this over and over.

“One of the most notorious ones is Facebook’s Free Basics initiative. Free Basics is both an application and website that provides free of data charges access to a variety of basic services like news, weather and health information, job ads, and of course, Facebook. Designed to work on both feature and smartphones and in contexts of limited bandwidth, “
Stop licking PBs balls all the time, it’s not a good look.

• Haha
Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Check the links, dumfuk, I’ve proven that I’m right on this over and over.

“One of the most notorious ones is Facebook’s Free Basics initiative. Free Basics is both an application and website that provides free of data charges access to a variety of basic services like news, weather and health information, job ads, and of course, Facebook. Designed to work on both feature and smartphones and in contexts of limited bandwidth, “
Stop licking PBs balls all the time, it’s not a good look.
Keep forgetting what Twain said about arguing with idiots.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
What’s this issue got to do with anything?
It's just his usual tactic of deraling the discussion once things don't go his way.

All the bullshit about WhatsApp is just that.
Absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand and it definitely doesn't help his argument.

But here we are.

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Deflect, distract, lie and off in circles you go.

You've been wrong on every single thing in this thread and you have the balls to gloat.
so no comment on the several links I posted regarding Facebook Free Basics, that describes EXACTLY what I’ve been talking about this entire time :unsure: :roflmao: None of the apps you listed can be used without a data plan/charges over a cellular signal in the parts of the world I am talking about. El Ogro confirmed this.

That is the niche that Facebook exploited, and you are either a complete idiot or being willfully dishonest. Probably both :roflmao:

If you actually admitted you were wrong every once in a while instead of resorting to bluster and deflection you might actually have a shred of credibility here.

• Haha

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Facebook has created things like Free Basics in an effort to further entrench itself among users and shift further towards a monopoly

this expands their ad audience and their data collection

they are compensating the carriers in some manner as part of this arrangement

which is all to say that this is a contrived business strategy - were Facebook to go away, communication would not end, it simply means that subsidized communication via apps in the Facebook ecosystem would no longer be available

Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, $FutureApp are not utilities - the underlying internet pipes are utilities

I'm not even sure what "treating them like a utility" means...like, what regulation needs to be applied to them?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Facebook has created things like Free Basics in an effort to further entrench itself among users and shift further towards a monopoly

this expands their ad audience and their data collection

they are compensating the carriers in some manner as part of this arrangement

which is all to say that this is a contrived business strategy - were Facebook to go away, communication would not end, it simply means that subsidized communication via apps in the Facebook ecosystem would no longer be available

Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, $FutureApp are not utilities - the underlying internet pipes are utilities

I'm not even sure what "treating them like a utility" means...like, what regulation needs to be applied to them?
Nobody can ever answer this.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
so no comment on the several links I posted regarding Facebook Free Basics, that describes EXACTLY what I’ve been talking about this entire time :unsure: :roflmao: None of the apps you listed can be used without a data plan/charges over a cellular signal in the parts of the world I am talking about. El Ogro confirmed this.

That is the niche that Facebook exploited, and you are either a complete idiot or being willfully dishonest. Probably both :roflmao:

If you actually admitted you were wrong every once in a while instead of resorting to bluster and deflection you might actually have a shred of credibility here.
This has what to do with regulating social media as a common carrier?

• Love

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

You said that WhatsApp provides internet access. :roflmao:

You were wrong on every single thing in this thread and you can't even make a point.
Yet you can't admit that.

WhatsApp has nothing to do with the topic of the conversation.

N
O
T
H
I
N
G

• Haha