1st Amendment Scotus

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
im not comparing it to a utility, I’m making the point that for some people WhatsApp is just as important to their ability to communicate as a regular phone service.

Facebook makes sweetheart deals with telecom providers in developing countries so that people basically use it for “free”. That’s a big deal to someone who lives on $100/month and all but guarantees that they will stick with it. In that context, a social media messaging app fulfills the same need as a landline once did.
Except it's a ridiculous comparison.

There are hundred messaging app options.

Just because Whatsapp is the most popular, it doesn't make it essential.

You are talking about an add-on vs the vital service.

And what does Whatsapp got to do with "censorship" you are screeching about?

You're all over the place dummy.

PS I like how you opened the post with saying that you're not comparing it and then you made a direct comparison. :roflmao:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Except it's a ridiculous comparison.

There are hundred messaging app options.

Just because Whatsapp is the most popular, it doesn't make it essential.
I gave a clear example of how a certain social media platform based messaging service can become the standard. There are at least a few hundred million, if not billion+ people who think that Facebook is the internet because that is how they access the internet as a whole. It's their only "free" means of doing so. You are simply too big of a narcissist to try to understand why such a service would greatly preferred, and become an overwhelming standard, for those at the bottom of the economic pyramid. Gross.

Nowhere did I say it was that Facebook or Whatsapp was "essential", although it has become somewhat of a de facto monopoly in those areas, similar to how Microsoft basically has a lock on spreadsheets and presentation software despite there being other options. Nobody uses (as in very few, I'm sure there are some weirdos) "Numbers" to make spreadsheets :ROFLMAO:

And what does Whatsapp got to do with "censorship" you are screeching about?
Where did I say anything about censorship in this thread? :unsure: :roflmao: What I'm pointing out is that the lines have gotten a lot blurrier since the days of a single phone company landlines being the only means of voice communication.

You're all over the place dummy.
Says the guy who went on a tirade saying that I said that the phone and internet were non-essential when I clearly said the opposite :roflmao:

PS I like how you opened the post with saying that you're not comparing it and then you made a direct comparison. :roflmao:
False. Your lack of reading comprehension is on you, not me.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I gave a clear example of how a certain social media platform based messaging service can become the standard. There are at least a few hundred million, if not billion+ people who think that Facebook is the internet because that is how they access the internet as a whole. It's their only "free" means of doing so. You are simply too big of a narcissist to try to understand why such a service would greatly preferred, and become an overwhelming standard, for those at the bottom of the economic pyramid. Gross.

Nowhere did I say it was that Facebook or Whatsapp was "essential", although it has become somewhat of a de facto monopoly in those areas, similar to how Microsoft basically has a lock on spreadsheets and presentation software despite there being other options. Nobody uses (as in very few, I'm sure there are some weirdos) "Numbers" to make spreadsheets :ROFLMAO:

Where did I say anything about censorship in this thread? :unsure: :roflmao: What I'm pointing out is that the lines have gotten a lot blurrier since the days of a single phone company landlines being the only means of voice communication.

Says the guy who went on a tirade saying that I said that the phone and internet were non-essential when I clearly said the opposite :roflmao:

False. Your lack of reading comprehension is on you, not me.
No you're not comparing it at all. lololo

Let's read this again but sloooowly, dummy.

"im not comparing it to a utility, I’m making the point that for some people WhatsApp is just as important to their ability to communicate as a regular phone service.

:roflmao:

As always, you are deflecting, lying and resorting to semantics.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
No you're not comparing it at all. lololo

Let's read this again but sloooowly, dummy.

"im not comparing it to a utility, I’m making the point that for some people WhatsApp is just as important to their ability to communicate as a regular phone service.

As always, you are deflecting, lying and resorting to semantics.
As always, you literally cannot read :roflmao:

Nothing I said above compares it to a utility in the grand scheme of things, nor have I moved from what I said in that statement. What I am saying is that for a subset of people, specifically those who use WhatsApp to communicate with their friends and family (especially those abroad) because they don’t have to buy cell phone minutes/data in order to do so, it is literally more important to them than a landline or even the voice service on their cell phone.
Holy fook you are dumb :ROFLMAO: :trout:

Reactions: GromsDad

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
....and none of those people are in america where the relevant legal conversation is occuring

I love that GromsDad thinks YouTube, a company that is profit-driven, pays people to sift through THE FIVE HUNDRED HOURS OF FOOTAGE THAT GETS UPLOADED EVERY MINUTE to YouTube

the personal responsibility guys really seem to have a hard time grasping the notion of hewing to the Terms of Service that these platforms enforce.

it's not a grand fkn mystery...your ilk just wants to act like malcontents and then cry about it when their anti-social behavior gets them kicked off the social media platform

grow the fk up, dimwits

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I love that GromsDad thinks YouTube, a company that is profit-driven, pays people to sif through THE FIVE HUNDRED HOURS OF FOOTAGE THAT GETS UPLOADED EVERY MINUTE to YouTube
That's not what's happening. However certain people do get put on the "sh!t list" if they are controversial, even when playing by the rules, and are monitored more closely. For example, Google hires a person to watch all of Tim Poole's videos and report anything notable. There are also people working within these companies that are able to hide and manipulate accounts in different ways, aka "shadow banning", which could be based on their own personal biases and not necessarily at the behest of upper management.

the personal responsibility guys really seem to have a hard time grasping the notion of hewing to the Terms of Service that these platforms enforce.
I've never argued that they don't have the right to do so. What I question is whether they are enforcing their TOCs equally. Which is still their choice, to be clear, but I don't think they are neutral.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That's not what's happening. However certain people do get put on the "sh!t list" if they are controversial, even when playing by the rules, and are monitored more closely. For example, Google hires a person to watch all of Tim Poole's videos and report anything notable. There are also people working within these companies that are able to hide and manipulate accounts in different ways, aka "shadow banning", which could be based on their own personal biases and not necessarily at the behest of upper management.

I've never argued that they don't have the right to do so. What I question is whether they are enforcing their TOCs equally. Which is still their choice, to be clear, but I don't think they are neutral.
Hell of alot better than "Truth" social media. Rightwing social media bans any opposing views immediately. just more projection.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
so Tim Poole broke the rules and now he's on a list. that's the system working as intended.

maybe that moron can figure out how to follow the rules. or maybe he'll get banned again.

please stop talking about hypothetical shadow banning....this is another tired talking point that is never substantiated with examples or evidence. just because Twitter doesn't provide a detailed explanation that the person banned finds satisfactory, does not mean that they were unjustly banned.

this is not a common or even recurring practice.

as long as these idiots keep pushing the boundaries, they'll get banned, and then cry about it like they are a political prisoner. they aren't. they can fk off.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Social media platforms are designed to show you some information above other information. They discriminate and promote by design. I don't think they were ever intended to be neutral.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
so Tim Poole broke the rules and now he's on a list. that's the system working as intended.

maybe that moron can figure out how to follow the rules. or maybe he'll get banned again.

please stop talking about hypothetical shadow banning....this is another tired talking point that is never substantiated with examples or evidence. just because Twitter doesn't provide a detailed explanation that the person banned finds satisfactory, does not mean that they were unjustly banned.

this is not a common or even recurring practice.

as long as these idiots keep pushing the boundaries, they'll get banned, and then cry about it like they are a political prisoner. they aren't. they can fk off.
It all boils down to spoiled brats, screeching "Wah! IT IS NOT FAIR!!" Ironic coming from the side that mocks the very concept of fairness.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Did he? Or is simply stating controversial opinions that get him reported? I've listened to some of his stuff, and while he is certainly hyperbolic, he doesn't spout anything bigoted.

When did he get banned? He said this on Rogan in 2020. I can't find any evidence of him getting banned before then.

please stop talking about hypothetical shadow banning....
I've seen this first hand on instagram with some fitness podcast hosts I listen to. They are not spouting bigotry, they just question narratives. If you want to find their handle you have to type in every single letter before their name appears. That is clearly manipulated, and I can't wait to hear your mental gymnasticated explanation for why.

this is another tired talking point that is never substantiated with examples or evidence.
Go to 3:45 and 7:00 mark to hear it directly from the horse's mouth. These are not carefully clipped 3 second soundbites, these are several minute long conversations.

Queuing "BUH JAMES OQUEEF!" in 3 . . . . 2 . .. . 1 . . . :roflmao:

• Haha

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Did he? Or is simply stating controversial opinions that get him reported? I've listened to some of his stuff, and while he is certainly hyperbolic, he doesn't spout anything bigoted.

When did he get banned? He said this on Rogan in 2020. I can't find any evidence of him getting banned before then.

I've seen this first hand on instagram with some fitness podcast hosts I listen to. They are not spouting bigotry, they just question narratives. If you want to find their handle you have to type in every single letter before their name appears. That is clearly manipulated, and I can't wait to hear your mental gymnasticated explanation for why.

Go to 3:45 and 7:00 mark to hear it directly from the horse's mouth. These are not carefully clipped 3 second soundbites, these are several minute long conversations.

Queuing "BUH JAMES OQUEEF!" in 3 . . . . 2 . .. . 1 . . . :roflmao:
Still do not get it, it is up to them, not you, it is a private company.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
As always, you literally cannot read :roflmao:

Nothing I said above compares it to a utility in the grand scheme of things, nor have I moved from what I said in that statement. What I am saying is that for a subset of people, specifically those who use WhatsApp to communicate with their friends and family (especially those abroad) because they don’t have to buy cell phone minutes/data in order to do so, it is literally more important to them than a landline or even the voice service on their cell phone.
Holy fook you are dumb :ROFLMAO: :trout:
you literally said "JUST AS IMPORTANT"

That's a comparison.

Now you say it's not a comparison "on a grand scheme of things". WTF does that even mean? :roflmao:

Backpedal, deflect and semantics, ad infinitum.

Just STFU already.

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Still do not get it, it is up to them, not you, it is a private company.
Holy fook, another disciple from the PlasticBertrand school of reading comprehension. I've said time and time again that it their choice. What I am saying is that they are not neutral in their enforcement and will use other mechanisms to hide content they don't like (like shadow banning) if there is not a clear TOC violation.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It
Is
Not
Up
To
You
To
Decide
What's
Bigoted
Moron

Because if that was the case, nothing would be bigoted.
Everything would be just a "contraversial opinion".

Twitter has rules of conduct.

Assimilate or GTFO.

It's not that hard, you man-baby. Fucking hell. :roflmao:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Holy fook, another disciple from the PlasticBertrand school of reading comprehension. I've said time and time again that it their choice. What I am saying is that they are not neutral in their enforcement and will use other mechanisms to hide content they don't like (like shadow banning) if there is not a clear TOC violation.
Then what are you bitching about?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
you literally said "JUST AS IMPORTANT"

That's a comparison.
Yes, to the subset of the population I am talking about, i.e. those who live on a few dollars a day where having a free communication service is a big deal to them, you idiot :roflmao: For them WhatsApp and Facebook are their primary forms of communication and accessing the internet.

If you ever owned a cell phone in a developing country you would see how expensive it gets when you pay as you go, and if it's expensive for me then it's obviously really tough for the people who live there.

Now you say it's not a comparison "on a grand scheme of things". WTF does that even mean?
See comment above. As in it is not important to most of us where owning a cell phone is not a major drag on our finances. I was clear from the very start that I was talking about a certain segment of the world population you dishonest fuck.

Holy fook, can you read? :unsure: :roflmao:

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It
Is
Not
Up
To
You
To
Decide
What's
Bigoted
Moron
Convenient excuse for endless goalpost moving and controlling narratives. In 2020 you were called a bigot simply for saying that violent protests are unproductive. When you move the goalposts that much, there is not even a starting point for any kind of honest discussion- which is exactly what the extremes in society want.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Convenient excuse for endless goalpost moving and controlling narratives. In 2020 you were called a bigot simply for saying that violent protests are unproductive. When you move the goalposts that much, there is not even a starting point for any kind of honest discussion- which is exactly what the extremes in society want.
Loads of people use WhatsApp here because it’s free with almost any phone plan. Lots of small business use it.