1st Amendment Scotus

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
No they don't. They operate on utilities (internet and phone) but aren't utilities themselves.

At the outset, I'd note that you switched from them being u

But let's assume they do for argument's sake. Utilities are regulated not just because they're big, but because they provide a vital societal service which would likely be monopolized were it not regulated.

Does any single social media platform provide a service society can't live without? If facebook died, what would happen? People would just move to google and twitter and youtube and instagram and Truth Social and Snapchat and BeReal and a thousand others. No vital service, and certainly no threat of monopoly. And the barrier to entry with utilities tends to be huge. But new social media apps are introduced daily, each with it's own slant. See Truth Social as the perfect example of how easy it is to launch a new site to compete with Twitter.

And unlike phones and internet and gas and electricity, these services are free. Even if Facebook had a full monopoly on social media, it's not costing the consumer anything, so what are you protecting?

I honestly don't care if social media goes away. It's great for some stuff, but a cancer for other stuff. If you think regulating Twitter would make it a great space, however, I'd suggest you're wrong. In fact, the minute Twitter loses the ability to control what it allows on its site is the minute Twitter shuts down completely.
Not quite. Aside from calling 9/11, which many will never do in their lifetime, phone service is on par with the internet in terms of how "essential" they both are in today's world. Good luck applying for a job, managing your finances, keeping up with B/C tier friends/relatives without the internet. Social media messaging apps have pretty much replaced email for most non-work related communication for most of us who don't have AOL email address.

Technically doable, but not realistic. Pretty much all schooling requires the internet now.
internet yes. Social media no.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Is an algorithm selectively curating content? I can see the argument but there’s still the matter of imposing liability for someone else’s intentional illegal actions, which courts don’t like to do. I don’t expect the court will uphold the 9th Circuit here.
It would be incredibly dishonest to suggest that the only censoring YouTube and other social media platforms have done is algorithm based. You know that though but you're a lawyer.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
It would be incredibly dishonest to suggest that the only censoring YouTube and other social media platforms have done is algorithm based. You know that though but you're a lawyer.
We were talking about content pushed through algorithms. They have TOC just like the rest and act accordingly. Since they’re not the government, they’re not actually censoring anyone.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Not quite. Aside from calling 9/11, which many will never do in their lifetime, phone service is on par with the internet in terms of how "essential" they both are in today's world. Good luck applying for a job, managing your finances, keeping up with B/C tier friends/relatives without the internet. Social media messaging apps have pretty much replaced email for most non-work related communication for most of us who don't have AOL email address.

Technically doable, but not realistic. Pretty much all schooling requires the internet now.
Absolute bullshit.

Phone service and internet are both essential for surviving in the 21st century.

What job can you have without a phone number or the internet?
Can you run a business without a phone number and internet?

As usual, you are dishonest and out of touch, in equal parts.

Social Media networks are absolutely not necessary or vital for neither.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

Yes,email and browser are pretty necessary
neither operate like a monopoly
and both are made available at no financial dollar / euro/ yen / bitcoin cost

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Absolute bullshit.

Phone service and internet are both essential for surviving in the 21st century.

The guy who commented how "low stress" retail work is.

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Absolute bullshit.

UH, yeah . .. . That's basically what I said. FROM MY POST ABOVE THAT YOU QUOTED: "phone service is on par with the internet in terms of how "essential" they both are in today's world."

Seriously, can you read? :roflmao:

My point, that you completely missed, is that phone service and internet service are equally essential.

From the post you quoted:
"Good luck applying for a job, managing your finances, keeping up with B/C tier friends/relatives without the internet."

As usual, you can't read, and you formulate a response that is completely unrelated to the post you are replying to.

Agreed, however they have started to encompass other communication aspects and payment platforms that people and businesses rely on. For example, several billion people rely on whatsapp for communication in the developing world.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The guy who commented how "low stress" retail work is.
Another person who can't read. You realize that you are quoting a post where PB completely misconstrued what someone was trying to say and argued with himself. . .. AGAIN? :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I can say that because I've done retail and I can easily think of a dozen jobs that were far more stressful. I would agree however that this is employer dependent, because any job can be stressful with the wrong boss and/or working conditions.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
UH, yeah . .. . That's basically what I said. FROM MY POST ABOVE THAT YOU QUOTED: "phone service is on par with the internet in terms of how "essential" they both are in today's world."

My point, that you completely missed, is that phone service and internet service are equally essential.

From the post you quoted:
"Good luck applying for a job, managing your finances, keeping up with B/C tier friends/relatives without the internet."

As usual, you can't read, and you formulate a response that is completely unrelated to the post you are replying to.

Agreed, however they have started to encompass other communication aspects and payment platforms that people and businesses rely on. For example, several billion people rely on whatsapp for communication in the developing world.
But if whatsapp blew up, they'd find another, so while the technology may be integral, the company/platform isn't.

Phone and Internet are common carriers and regulated as such. A common carrier, however, tends to be a completely neutral mode of data/information transportation. Each allows communication and data movement, but plays a completely neutral/inactive role. Social media has never been intended to be neutral. They've always had TOS and content restrictions. I don't think it's possible to simply say "yes, we now deem you a common carrier and you can no longer do what you've always done with the site you started."

4-chan and the like prove how quickly that sort of thing will go south, but even then, the marketplace has created that option for those looking for completely untouched content.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
So because you can sell stuff on Facebook market place, Facebook is suddenly essential and have to allow mysogny and racism?

1664924141174.gif

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You're right. They're not censoring, they are selectively editing content. That means the content they do leave up, they bear some responsibility for.
Yes they do bear some responsibilty for it.

So when people post straight up lies that can harm people, spew racism, transphobia and mysogny, they have every right to remove it.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
:roflmao:
Your dumb attempt at a strawman argument, not mine :poke:

You obviously haven't traveled much if you don't know how widely used Whatsapp is. In that context, Whatsapp is basically the phone company.
I use WhatsApp all the time. To compare it to a utility is stupid as fuçk. There are million messaging services that can do the same thing and that you can choose from.

• Haha

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
:roflmao:
Your dumb attempt at a strawman argument, not mine :poke:

You obviously haven't traveled much if you don't know how widely used Whatsapp is. In that context, Whatsapp is basically the phone company.
Whatsapp takes advantage of what the underlying common carriers provide - the infrastructure necessary to make calls/message. Whatsapp, without more, is useless. That's the difference between common carriers and applications.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I use WhatsApp all the time. To compare it to a utility is stupid as fuçk. There are million messaging services that can do the same thing and that you can choose from.
im not comparing it to a utility, I’m making the point that for some people WhatsApp is just as important to their ability to communicate as a regular phone service.

Facebook makes sweetheart deals with telecom providers in developing countries so that people basically use it for “free”. That’s a big deal to someone who lives on $100/month and all but guarantees that they will stick with it. In that context, a social media messaging app fulfills the same need as a landline once did.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Whatsapp takes advantage of what the underlying common carriers provide - the infrastructure necessary to make calls/message. Whatsapp, without more, is useless. That's the difference between common carriers and applications.
I don’t disagree, however wouldnt an independent cell phone company (that doesn’t own the infrastructure) be kinda the same thing?

• Haha

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I don’t disagree, however wouldnt an independent cell phone company (that doesn’t own the infrastructure) be kinda the same thing?
Does such a thing exist other than as a monopoly?
do people have an option on a land line carrier?