hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Remember when it was going to be 3 million?
It was 2.2 million, and that was in the absence of ANY mitigation or changes in human behavior, but I'm sure you don't really care about that facts based on your posting here.

In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behavior, we would expect a peak in mortality (daily deaths) to occur after approximately 3 months. In such scenarios, given an estimated R0 of 2.4, we predict 81% of the G.B. and U.S. populations would be infected over the course of the epidemic… In total, in an unmitigated epidemic, we would predict approximately 510,000 deaths in G.B. and 2.2 million in the U.S., not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality.

The worst‐case Imperial College estimate of 2.2 million deaths if everyone does “nothing” did not simply mean no government lockdowns, as a March 31 White House graph with two curves implied. It meant nobody avoids crowded elevators, or wears face masks, washes their hands more often, or buys gloves or hand sanitizer. Everyone does literally nothing to avoid danger.The Ferguson team knew that was unrealistic, yet their phantasmal 2.2 million estimate depended on it. As they reticently acknowledged, “it is highly likely that there would be significant spontaneous change in population behavior even in the absence of government‐mandated interventions.” An earlier February 20 brief said, “Some social distancing is to be expected, even in the absence of formal control measures.”

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Given our culture here in the U.S. this is literally the cost of doing business. You will need to force people to comply in order to maintain the lockdown.

Maybe we should be "better than that". Unfortunately, we're not.

Reactions: grapedrink

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I've always said that. I'll take it a step further and echo the talking point that we're going to get different politics when we base our policies on how we think people should act if only we actually were "better than that" vs how we think people actually will act IRL.

Conflict of visions

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Given our culture here in the U.S. this is literally the cost of doing business. You will need to force people to comply in order to maintain the lockdown.

Maybe we should be "better than that". Unfortunately, we're not.
Murkans gonna Murkan. U S A ! U S A!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There is this thing: it's called "delayed gratification."

You suffer now for a later payoff.

Americans can't do that no more?

"Discipline is freedom." --JW

Reactions: hal9000

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It was 2.2 million, and that was in the absence of ANY mitigation or changes in human behavior, but I'm sure you don't really care about that facts based on your posting here.

No one cared about the details of those facts when the powers that be were in the process of getting everyone terrified enough in order to be ok with destroying day to day life, the economy, and the educational system

These were the initial numbers trotted out, and the reason why today healthy non-elderly people think that they might actually die from coronavirus

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
There is this thing: it's called "delayed gratification."

You suffer now for a later payoff.

Americans can't do that no more?
No, we can't. We are a nation of spoiled brats. The concepts of shared sacrifice and responsibility to others have, along with delayed gratification, gone by the wayside.

Our parents and grandparents who bequeathed us the vast wealth and power that America now holds would be appalled.

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If only it was true that "we're better than that".

This leads directly to what happens when we base our expectations on what we think people should do instead of what we think people will do.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
180K dead is about 3 times as many USA military that died in Vietnam War.

Had an uncle who died in that war (small wooden box of cremains) and a very sad mom for a long time.

So I know its gotta suck gobs for the dead's relatives/friends.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

Had an uncle who died in that war (small wooden box of cremains) and a very sad mom for a long time.

Ifailalot and grapeboi can't comprehend that.

They think that more people should die so they're not inconvenienced by wearing masks.

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Fair point, although they also died a much more horrible death at a younger age, all in the name of garbage foreign policy. So it's not really a fair comparison.

• Dislike

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Fair point, although they also died a much more horrible death at a younger age, all in the name of garbage foreign policy. So it's not really a fair comparison.
The point was that people who are dying are somebody's family.

Yet, you find it funny and think that they should just die because they have "just a few years left anyway" and economy is more important.

Gross human being.

• Haha

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I just finished reading The Pentagon Papers. Great book from an informational standpoint although a bit dry at times. Probably worthy of its own thread. Good on the Supreme Court rejecting the government's pleas for secrecy and allowing the NYT to proceed with their reporting to let the American people know what was really going on (Trump would have screamed that it was Fake News). I would bet that john4surf has a tremendous amount of insight on those days.

There was some warped logic going on back then. So communism spreads. But it's a bad system. Horrible. So why would we give a sh*t? It'll implode on its own right and America will remain above the ashes, right? Or were we worried that it was such a good system that it would take over here? Similar to now, everything that might advance human rights (unions, worker protections, civil rights, etc.) in any way was referred to as communist by the bible-humpers as anything that might be good for the common people is of course an affront to God.

That being said, the Iron Curtain emerging in Eastern Europe, Korean War, emergence of Mao in China, etc. combined with communist governments emerging in SE Asia all happening in a relatively short time (especially considering pre-Internet attention span) was probably highly unnerving. So, instead we did what we do best, support a hugely unpopular and corrupt head of government instead of letting the people of that country decide for themselves with at least some level of autonomy. I'm sure the next time we do that, we'll have better results with no backlash whatsoever.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Uncle Bruce was the first MD in the family (both sides). I think he was in mid/late 20s when his medical chopper took fire and went in, don't think there any in the helicopter that survived. He interned here at SF General before being drafted.

# of dead was one of the points of the 'get out of Vietnam' argument. I don't remember/know if there was a "and they're young too" part of it.

Agree the # part of this is just a metric, but I was really just trying to show that approximately 60K servicemen (and servicewomen?) died and it was tough for a lot of people, so 180K dead is going to be tougher for a bit more people. Don't know if age of the dead makes much difference to the grieving.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
A certain number of people normally die of the flu every year. That's your benchmark, not Zero.