1400 Dolphins Slaughtered in Faroe Islands

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My take is that this is their Traditional culture they want to continue, fine, Then do it traditional style, longships with sail and oars, wool clothing, etc, etc.

Reactions: $kully and keenfish

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Well there you have it, an anonymous person guessed that this will be different from every other time. Outrage time!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
1 Yes, "Normally meat from a grindadrap is shared amongst the participants and any remainder among the locals in the district where the hunt place."

2 However, "The Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet published interviews with locals, whose full names are redacted for their families’ safety, explaining how a lot of Faroese are furious with what happened. “My guess is that most of the dolphins will be thrown in the trash or in a hole in the ground,” said one. “ "
Well it’s just a guess at this point.

As far as the rest goes, I can’t really sit here in good conscience criticize this event considering that I eat cows, pigs, chickens, fish, lamb, etc. and I’m almost certain that some animals were harmed in the process of filling my stomach.

Indians believe cows to be sacred and are horrified that people eat them. Most Americans don’t like to eat dogs but other cultures do eat dogs (they are delicious btw).

I have no interest in killing/eating dolphins but that’s me.

Many people (including people I know personally) eat octopus and I personally find that to be awful.

Maybe they killed “too many” but again, yesterday the 3 of us in the Duffy household ate two full tri tip in one sitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: stringcheese

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Well it’s just a guess at this point.
What is a guess at this point? I'm not guessing anything. I am answering a question and citing the source of the answer. Then I provide a contextual opinion from same source who "guesses" or thinks there will be wasted meat.

No guessing from me involved and based on the rest of the statements in the article, the local doesn't appear to be making a guess as much as couching their thoughts as not be too harsh of their fellow islander, or is this just me reading into things?

So....

1 - The purpose of the hunt is to get food.

2 - A local thinks/guesses the hunt will result in waste.

On the second point, I get that some humans across the span of the world eats things other humans find gross, and well, fine and good, I don't have to eat what I don't want and you can eat what you want. But wasting food or hunting purely for the thrill of it, well that irks me as much as someone calling me off a wave and then they dork out and now it is too late for me to use a valuable resource. Me choosing to cite someone who thinks/guesses the hunt will result in waste is showing my bias against the concept of waste, but it is not a guess.

Edit:

Upon reflection, think I have internalized your reply as a critique of my response when you are more likely responding to the local who is thinking/guessing there will be wasted meat. As such, apologies for maybe not comprehending things correctly.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i don’t think the headline grabbing part is about what you choose to eat.

similae uproar regarding Chinese over fishing.

its quotas not being respected and very little to do with the species in question.

Sea Shepard folks can suck a lemon. They are the worst, and I’m a self-described animal hugging hippy carnivore.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What is a guess? I'm not guessing anything. I am answering a question and citing the source of the answer. Then I provide a contextual opinion from same source.

No guessing involved.

2 - A local thinks the hunt will result in waste.

On the second point, I get that some humans across the span of the world eats things other humans find gross, and well, fine and good, I don't have to eat what I don't want and you can eat what you want. But wasting food or hunting purely for the thrill of it, well that irks me as much as someone calling me off a wave and then they dork out and now it is too late for me to use a valuable resource. Me choosing to cite someone who thinks the hunt will result in waste is showing my bias against the concept of waste, but it is not a guess.
So the wave is the dolphin?

And you want to "eat" the dolphin since all these nordic dudes killed them all?

I don't like to waste either even when it's not my stuff.

I've known people who like to waste. Maybe some of those dolphin killing dudes are like those dudes I know who like to waste for the sake of wasting?

Maybe they are those dudes I knew and they moved to Norway and took up dolphin killing to scrach that itch?

That is my guess.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I think it's ironic to type your complaints about some culture's not having enough respect for life regarding the over killing of a species you find cute by a few hundred into a device the production of which results in innumerable unimaginable horrors for human lives, from a country which allows companies to sell terrible death causing cigarettes by the hundreds of millions to children across the world.
But then again, this is during a global pandemic, so.

• Haha
Reactions: Bartiparo

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 It was a terrible metaphor, but was riffing on idea of dolphins surfing waves.

2 Waste drives me batty. Be it waves I get called off for when I am sure the caller isn't going to make it but hey, technically, they are deeper, and I don't want to be that guy so I back out and then they f it up, or that last sip of a beer getting gets tipped out when someone else decides it is time to pack up the pic-nic "Hey, I was just about to drink that!" or leaving lights on all over the house when no one is in the rooms. We all have our triggers I guess.

3 Irony like rain on the wedding day? :computer: Yeah, I get your point, though do you really think countries should stop allowing companies to sell cigarettes to people? If not, I appreciate the irony of you using this as an example, and if so well, appreciate the double irony. :beer:

Last edited:

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I enjoy hunting for the preparation to be lethal, the humility to know I can be lethal, the experience in the outdoors, joy of the process and the consumption after. The trophy is just a bonus that happens occasionally.

This just seems to be a gross over zealous event. That’s a lotta meat to consume. Pitiful.

im sure there is more to this story And some wrong doing With ultimate justice.

wanton waste? Guilty in my mind

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
... do you really think countries should stop allowing companies to sell cigarettes to people? If not, I appreciate the irony of you using this as an example, and if so well, appreciate the double irony. :beer:
No, but that wasn't the point. The point was that I think if you're going to get your panties in a bunch over something....we get it, dolphins are cute (when they aren't raping something, or eating its fins and letting it drown just for fun)

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
No, but that wasn't the point. The point was that I think if you're going to get your panties in a bunch over something....we get it, dolphins are cute (when they aren't raping something, or eating its fins and letting it drown just for fun)
Off your meds again? Maybe you need the ganja back in your life.

As to the topic at hand. I encourage everyone to read Susan Casey's book, "Voices in the Ocean" . Its an excellent read just like all of her books.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What is a guess at this point? I'm not guessing anything. I am answering a question and citing the source of the answer. Then I provide a contextual opinion from same source who "guesses" or thinks there will be wasted meat.

No guessing from me involved and based on the rest of the statements in the article, the local doesn't appear to be making a guess as much as couching their thoughts as not be too harsh of their fellow islander, or is this just me reading into things?

So....

2 - A local thinks/guesses the hunt will result in waste.

On the second point, I get that some humans across the span of the world eats things other humans find gross, and well, fine and good, I don't have to eat what I don't want and you can eat what you want. But wasting food or hunting purely for the thrill of it, well that irks me as much as someone calling me off a wave and then they dork out and now it is too late for me to use a valuable resource. Me choosing to cite someone who thinks/guesses the hunt will result in waste is showing my bias against the concept of waste, but it is not a guess.

Edit:

Upon reflection, think I have internalized your reply as a critique of my response when you are more likely responding to the local who is thinking/guessing there will be wasted meat. As such, apologies for maybe not comprehending things correctly.
Your edit is correct.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I think it's ironic to type your complaints about some culture's not having enough respect for life regarding the over killing of a species you find cute by a few hundred into a device the production of which results in innumerable unimaginable horrors for human lives, from a country which allows companies to sell terrible death causing cigarettes by the hundreds of millions to children across the world.
But then again, this is during a global pandemic, so.

Irony like rain on the wedding day? :computer: Yeah, I get your point, though do you really think countries should stop allowing companies to sell cigarettes to people? If not, I appreciate the irony of you using this as an example, and if so well, appreciate the double irony. :beer:

Right, that wasn't my point either. I was appreciating the irony in your post pointing out the irony in other people's posts.

Anyway, killing animals for food, whether they're raised in a pen, raised in a field, found in the wild, whatever, it happens. My underdaks aren't bunched about that.

Just think that wasting food/life/resources is wrong, and initial reporting is tending in that direction in this case.

( I think growing up often hungry (not starving) has colored my view of food wasting, likely moreso when it is wild animals.)

PS
Industrial animal harvesting is many things to many different people, but those companies really do their best to monetize the whole critter, and for that, well, good for using everything except the squeal. Efficiency may not be "pretty" but prefer it to wasteful enterprise and would like my food to have as good a life as it can even up to the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Isn’t there a bunch of research that suggests regular consumption of dolphin is super unhealthy? Or am I just thinking of the Cove movie?