14 Students and a teacher dead at a Texas Elementary School

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Great , you ban AR 15's and I will send my Grandkids to secure schools

Okey Dokey
I’m one of the few lefty’s that are against the idea of weapons bans. The Mini 14 functions nearly the same as an AR15, it’s just missing a pistol grip, which is a nearly pointless distinction.

My problem is with the lack of waiting periods and meaningful background checks.

I think you even floated the idea of pushing the age from 18 to 21, which I agree with.

Anyone who thinks the average 18 - 25 year old male is responsible, go shop for car insurance.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Now do homeless people
Maybe you can only own a gun if you own property? Apply that to voting too?

Or were you referring to arming mentally ill people with possessing homeless as a self-defense weapon? The sane deserve the rights to possess similar weaponry.

I mean, all these scenarios are intriguing, but which one were you going for?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I’m one of the few lefty’s that are against the idea of weapons bans. The Mini 14 functions nearly the same as an AR15, it’s just missing a pistol grip, which is a nearly pointless distinction.

My problem is with the lack of waiting periods and meaningful background checks.

I think you even floated the idea of pushing the age from 18 to 21, which I agree with.

Anyone who thinks the average 18 - 25 year old male is responsible, go shop for car insurance.
I’m not against weapons bans, they clearly work elsewhere, however I think they’ll be futile at this point with how armed america already is. But I do think there’s a lot we can do to make it more difficult for the wrong people to purchase firearms and for gunowners to take on more liability and responsibility for their firearms. Even if this comes at an inconvenience and expense to the good guys with guns. This includes passing laws where adults are liable both criminally and civilly for crimes committed with firearms by minors or others in their houses if found that the firearms weren’t properly secured.

What really bugs me is the Surfdogian all or nothing attitude many on the right take. I’m well aware that there is no magic cure-all for this problem. There are too many guns and too many people. Someone will always slip through the net or find a way. Throwing our hands up in the air and making it easier for them because FREEDOM is a bit silly. We have the first amendment but I can’t yell FIRE in a movie theater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phi1

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I’m not against weapons bans, they clearly work elsewhere, however I think they’ll be futile at this point with how armed america already is. But I do think there’s a lot we can do to make it more difficult for the wrong people to purchase firearms and for gunowners to take on more liability and responsibility for their firearms. Even if this comes at an inconvenience and expense to the good guys with guns. This includes passing laws where adults are liable both criminally and civilly for crimes committed with firearms by minors or others in their houses if found that the firearms weren’t properly secured.

What really bugs me is the Surfdogian all or nothing attitude many on the right take. I’m well aware that there is no magic cure-all for this problem. There are too many guns and too many people. Someone will always slip through the net or find a way. Throwing our hands up in the air and making it easier for them because FREEDOM is a bit silly. We have the first amendment but I can’t yell FIRE in a movie theater.
That was surprisingly rational.

Who are you and what have you done with our little Skully?!? :mad:

• Love
Reactions: $kully

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

From my *favorite* publication

As an aside, look how much the Atlantic (and the Left) has changed in 10 years

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

...how armed America already is... doesn’t matter because doors. Had there only been blast proof doors at the grocery store in Buffalo...

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

The 21 year old minimum (in California) was ruled unconstitutional (circuit court).

Basically at 18 you’re a legal adult and there are no other constitutional protections requiring you to be 21 to be covered by them.

The 10 day waiting period (also CA) was ruled unconstitutional as applied to current gun owners. The idea of the 10 day wait was a “cooling off period”. That justification doesn’t apply to people who already own firearms.

Both of these laws are still in effect in CA as they work their way to the Supreme Court.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
  • Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
This is true and I think it’s a mistake to solely focus on the AR just because it’s the mass shooting gun of choice. There are plenty of other effective alternatives out there. The AR platform is just particularly popular.
It has a purpose but today it's mostly for the gun equivalent of furries.

Feral hogs are a huge problem for ranchers in the Southwest. Companies like Wilson Combat make purpose built rifles on the AR15 specific for this purpose. It's the tool for the job.

BY FAR pistols are the #1 weapon of choice for murders in America. #2 is a rounding error in comparison. I've said it on here dozens of times...I would be perfectly OK with restrictions or bans on pistols. They are easy to conceal which makes them a prime gun for gun related crimes and have almost zero utility for home defense. Most people can't operate one with any skill on a range and during a stress event forget it. They just don't have the word "assault" in them so the gun grabbers don't get erect when talking about them.

What happened at the school and every other mass shooting in the US is just a weekend in Chicago. Focus on the criminals and actually prosecute them when they break the law and murders would drop to statistical zero in the US.