11,000 climate scientist: The earth faces a "climate emergency"

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Did you know the mid Atlantic is sinking? Combined with sea level rise, its an issue. Norfolk has incorporated managed retreat in their general plan. Certain areas are so flood prone they are designated as retreat areas. You can no longer upgrade your home if it requires permits. If someone buys your home, same conditions apply. You can walk away and purchase property in higher designated areas that give you 3 times development rights. If that lot allowed a 2,000 SF home, you can build 6,000 SF. Every Nor'Easter high tide, areas are under 3 feet of water.
Ya, pretty much the entire EC and Gulf coast were built on dredge infill from back bay areas to their barrier islands 50-150 years ago. Most all these areas are sinking due to subsidence. Many are sinking at the same rate or more than actual normal sea level rise rates, so in essence, they "look" to be dealing with 2x to 3x the sea level rise rates of other areas, like the NE coast (built more on coastal bedrock) and the USA west coast. Pumping groundwater and the natural settling of sand base dredge infill increases the subsidence. So, it "looks" like these areas of the EC and Gulf coast are "suffering" more from sea level rise. Which is a false. Subsidence is more responsible than anything.

Why are two areas of the EC with similar long term sea level rise rate histories showing OVER 2X the rise rates over a 100+ year time span? These beach towns are only about 350 miles apart, yet Atlantic City shows 2X more sea level rise rates. The ocean doesn't pick and choose where TO rise and where NOT, especially over that short a distance.

And more to the point, where is the SPIKE in sea level rise rates claimed to have doubled since 1993 (due to a new satellite measuring system, coincidentally launched in 1993, that has already been debunked as bogus/unreliable data)?

On the west coast notice the temporary spikes in sea level rise rates due to thermal expansion during strong El Nino periods (if you don't remember the years, '82/83, '97 and 2015 were recent strong ones). Then retreats spikes down to even below normal rise rates during La Ninas. Balance these all out and you STILL see no real changes to overall sea level rise rates the last 100+ years.

Thought I'd throw in Alameda in the SF Bay to show as reference to a beach town about 350 miles apart on the west coast. See much difference between these 2?

We're still waiting.

Do the math for the metric challenged, and you'll see a rate of less than 4 inches the last 100 years in LA harbor, with NO changes since 1993, or anytime on that chart.

This is hard fact NOAA data.

Last edited:

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Al gore seems to have a lot of employees...
I was going to say that The Algore is the Jimmy Swaggart of the Green Environmentalist Church Cult but I doubt Jimmy has made even 1% of what The Algore has boosted from his flock of nincompoops.

Al Gore does have the advantage of suckering a giant chunk of high earning college "educated" Godless Pagans so you gotta' give him that.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I was going to say that The Algore is the Jimmy Swaggart of the Green Environmentalist Church Cult but I doubt Jimmy has made even 1% of what The Algore has boosted from his flock of nincompoops.

Al Gore does have the advantage of suckering a giant chunk of high earning college "educated" Godless Pagans so you gotta' give him that.

Algore has basically created a whole new industry...and a "new" brand of science to back it up.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Algore has basically created a whole new industry...and a "new" brand of science to back it up.
Give him credit. He now can afford to fly around in his own private jet and has the dough to pay for the jet fuel. Even his most ardent supporters have their own private jets and an unlimited supply of jet fuel.

Don't see Eli coming forward yet with the 1st Ejet.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
In 2008 I went to see a finger pier in VB area that needed to be replaced. Looked brand new. It was 5 years old and now every Nor'Easter high tide its under 2 feet of water.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I look at stuff around here locally. Seacliff. The Cement Boat. Just to the north there is the remains of a metal seawall built into the beach. 99% of the year, every year, it is covered by sand. But when we get a huge winter swell and the beach gets scoured, it pops up.

It seems to be popping up more now these past few years than it ever has.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I could definitely see how mid Atlantic coastal towns could be sinking. I live on an island made of fine beach sand and sedge. There is no hard surface like rock anywhere beneath the town. Perhaps a hundred feet below the surface you might hit something solid? Houses are built on pilings......basically entire telephone poles driven completely into the sand. When you watch the crane drive the pilings into the ground it is amazing how easily they go in.....often as much as a foot with each drop of the weight that acts as a hammer.