100% Wing Foiling Now

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Stoked for you ... but hard not to get a little jealous of Maui Life ... paradise for wind and wave chasers.
Not tryna gloat, but stoked things are where they are right now. Maui summers are notoriously flat and windy. Long spells of no surf, the wingfoil is a saving grace.

Reactions: steamroller

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Not tryna gloat, but stoked things are where they are right now. Maui summers are notoriously flat and windy. Long spells of no surf, the wingfoil is a saving grace.
Oh yah, just having some fun. Same here, juan de fuca strait on vancouver island, needs tons of west swell to get surf, so we are mostly flat from April to October. For a bunch of years it was fishing that filled the gap, but now wind sports is unreal ... get the juices flowing year-round, always something fun to do on the water. Surf foiling is also excellent, as it has redefined what "flat" means ... crap waves that I just couldn't be bothered even to sup, are now all-time, double over-ankle is epic. LOL

Reactions: Kaser1
Jan 12, 2020
First day on wing yesterday (I missed Steamroller putting on a clinic at that mushy in between wave I hear.) I surfed a local spot in the am, ate lunch, chilled on the beach and when I normally would have said, "f it the wind is up" I drove down the road and put the wing in the water.

First session was surprisingly positive (compared to some sports.) My 6'5" X 28" foil SUP was the right board to learn on. (Thanks bigmtn for the idea to skip a regular SUP.) I got to my feet, knees are not made for long term support devices. I didn't get on foil but got like 3 long runs on my feet and got the feel for what it will be once on foil.

Today I'm headed down to Belmont Shore (again Hdip with a great idea, I really owe you a great meal man) to go out in the wind where there are no waves. Who am I?

But I totally get why people dig this. In SoCal, surf in the am, light wind wing in the afternoon. But my next Hawaii trip is leaning Maui more and more now. Does F-One get a kickback from the Maui Tourism board?

Mar 20, 2019
Move the foil way forward in the box. Make sure you are moving horizontal/diagonal to the wind, straight downwind it's hard to get enough speed. Pump the wing to pick up speed, think circles or ellipticals with your hands. Once you got speed, start pumping the board too... Once you're up, you're flying! Smooth as butter!

Was helping John John the other day on his first outing. Haha he killed it! The only thing hampering him was the lack of wind. He'll be an expert by next week!

Reactions: Cowboysurf

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
watch out those dnmn stingrays at belmont...i don't walk out more than half shin deep and im on the upside-down board wing leash in my teeth shalllw paddling out to deep water...oir friend got hit beginning lf summer he STILL not back in the water yet...

yeah Hd1p got me started in this whole thing...Hd1p s the MAN! :shaka:

Reactions: Cowboysurf

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
But I totally get why people dig this. In SoCal, surf in the am, light wind wing in the afternoon. But my next Hawaii trip is leaning Maui more and more now. Does F-One get a kickback from the Maui Tourism board?
Nah not so many F One's out there anymore, the wing pool is getting diluted with so many options now. Wing Ride, Duotone, Naish, Ozone, BRM, Cabrinha, and I see a few prototypes out on the water now coming from various SUP/surf companies jumping in.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
just fyi...I compiled 2 polls recently on the 2 bigger wing facebook groups. F-One, Gong, Duotone are by far market leaders, at least in this sample (and with roughly 400 respondents, probably enough to be relatively representative). I think the difference may be the % of wingers in Europe, wind sports have always been huge over there, and the Euro brands dominate the USA ones. In contrast, Maui is the USA capital for windsports, Hood River 2nd, and both have their own homegrown brands that dominate. Note that I didn't compile the brands with less than 5 respondents...BRM, Hot Wing, etc.

Attachments

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
And fyi again, the reason for compiling poll above was actually to see if there was any evidence for any brand bursting bladders more than others. This is reported # bursts / # sales, to get a relative sense of things. Not enough of a difference to say any of the market leaders burst bladders more often, but may be able to conclude F-One bursts less than others. Not scientific or anything -- was just attempting to quiet down the endless gripe threads about "____ wings suck", with the specific brand revolving from thread to thread.

Attachments

Jan 12, 2020
Belmont was fun. Wind was actually over 15mph, gusting up to almost 20MPH, (thx to a kiteboard instructor who can estimate better than I.)

It was choppy as all get out, as I said, I'm still not really "down" with the wind just yet. But I got up several times heelside. That's really easy now for me. Managed to get going toe side (harder) and then did the world's most hilarious gybe at less than a walking pace. Really, there's room for a hilarious YT channel of just wing kooks learning. It's got to look hilarious as it's all in slow motion for the first few days.

I do understand the wind clock and my place in it. The wind, like surf, will make sure you remember and set you right if you forget. I think I got on foil for maybe 2 sec, but that's next time. The chop really made it hard to pump as you need to time the pump and the chop and the wing pump and... it was all a bit much. But really, the walk of shame is the biggest incentive to get better and get on foil. Though I am working on something in the garage that I think will make some folks on here happy. More to come. Hoping for some foil surfing this week though. Enough of that devil wind for now! haha.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Yesterday had some big lumps on a coast run, winds gusting to 30+.

Couple spots saw swells overhead, lost sight of Chris a couple times, and he was 40 yards infront of me.

Aug 23, 2020
First day on wing yesterday (I missed Steamroller putting on a clinic at that mushy in between wave I hear.) I surfed a local spot in the am, ate lunch, chilled on the beach and when I normally would have said, "f it the wind is up" I drove down the road and put the wing in the water.

First session was surprisingly positive (compared to some sports.) My 6'5" X 28" foil SUP was the right board to learn on. (Thanks bigmtn for the idea to skip a regular SUP.) I got to my feet, knees are not made for long term support devices. I didn't get on foil but got like 3 long runs on my feet and got the feel for what it will be once on foil.

Today I'm headed down to Belmont Shore (again Hdip with a great idea, I really owe you a great meal man) to go out in the wind where there are no waves. Who am I?

I'm in the same place as you geographically/SoCal and w/ learning. 2 sessions in. Really need to go somewhere w/ consistent wind to string together a bunch of days but....... meantime I am thinking Belmont is the call. Maybe see you there and share in our humbling.

Jan 12, 2020
Holoholo, Belmont was decent but yes, I think a trip to Hawaii would fix a lot right now. (ya think?)

If you see an orange swing wing and blue board that’s me. Btw, kiteboarders seem like an odd bunch. As soon as I’m consistently on foil I'm hoping some of us LA folks can do mini downwinders. Wing guys can tow the proners in. Ha!

Aug 23, 2020
Holoholo, Belmont was decent but yes, I think a trip to Hawaii would fix a lot right now. (ya think?)

If you see an orange swing wing and blue board that’s me. Btw, kiteboarders seem like an odd bunch. As soon as I’m consistently on foil I'm hoping some of us LA folks can do mini downwinders. Wing guys can tow the proners in. Ha!
Right on Cowboy. I have a green 6.0 Ozone Wasp. Maybe head to Belmont tomorrow if there's wind- or get one in on the new proner. Wishing I had a bigger SUP foil board than my 5-11 to get me through the first bit of learning but will make due with what I have and gut it out rather than drop the $$$. Hopefully see ya at Belmont.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Just got a GO PRO 8 Black, test drove it yesterday on a downhill run. I was using a Session 5, the image quality and other features are a big advance. The GPS overlay is a nice touch also to the videos. Just gotta figure out the pole mount angle alittle better on the wing.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Nice. You can also try mounting it with the pole sticking out the bottom of wing, to get wing from behind looking forward.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Nice. You can also try mounting it with the pole sticking out the bottom of wing, to get wing from behind looking forward.
i think i've tried that... i've discovered that mounting cam to wing is not the best angle unless you just want selfie angle. Trying to shoot others with cam pointed forward is a pain trying to keep them in frame with keeping the wing still and on target.

used my mouth mount yesterday and results were much better.

Jan 12, 2020
Kaser, I’ve been selfishly waiting on you to drop or lose that old one. The new stabilization will change the game for your already great videos.