100% Wing Foiling Now

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Granted I live in the ideal location for a wind sport here on Maui, it's all I do now. The evolution of wings, boards, foils, etc.. is ever changing and seeing it on the front line is pretty exciting.

Alot of wings are going to move into their next gen stuff in the next couple months and it should be pretty interesting.

I'm on my 3rd brand of wings, first was F One, then Ozone, now BRM/Cloud. I've also moved down from a SUP foilboard to wing with to a small prone foil board with straps.

When the winter swells start filling, it's going to get really fun with the little proner board.

Here's a sample of a light wind yesterday and flat water racing out off Kanaha with Alex A, Go Foil founder.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The cloud wings look really good. Stoked to hear you're on a prone board now. More details on that please. Straps I'm assuming.

I'm on an axis foil setup now so I think I'd have a bit more success with the wing. We don't quite have the wind conditions of Maui though.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
The cloud wings look really good. Stoked to hear you're on a prone board now. More details on that please. Straps I'm assuming.

I'm on an axis foil setup now so I think I'd have a bit more success with the wing. We don't quite have the wind conditions of Maui though.
DK gave me an old 5'2 that feels about 40L (he's not a liter guy), that I can get up pretty easy now. You have go get on your knees, get planing, then up to your feet. Alittle tricky but practice is making it easier once you learn the wing position.

Yes, straps a must IMO.

Mar 20, 2019
Why the change from ozone to brm? How do they compare to the ozone and f-one? Only using the 4m or do you have multiple sizes?

Planet_Erff

OTF status
Jan 11, 2007
too close for comfort
Granted I live in the ideal location for a wind sport here on Maui, it's all I do now. The evolution of wings, boards, foils, etc.. is ever changing and seeing it on the front line is pretty exciting.

Alot of wings are going to move into their next gen stuff in the next couple months and it should be pretty interesting.

I'm on my 3rd brand of wings, first was F One, then Ozone, now BRM/Cloud. I've also moved down from a SUP foilboard to wing with to a small prone foil board with straps.

When the winter swells start filling, it's going to get really fun with the little proner board.

Here's a sample of a light wind yesterday and flat water racing out off Kanaha with Alex A, Go Foil founder.

Damn that looks fun. I love the idea of being able to carve around a bit while cruising like you guys are doing there.

I'm in an area with occasional waves but consistent ~10 knot + wind. I'm 6'3 225lbs.

Any suggestions for starter board size / foil size/brand, and wing size/brand?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
board size is your weight in kg +10 = liters in volume I think?

foil size. Big. Get the bigger or biggest wing in the brand you’re using

wing brand. Any of the v2 wings. Or ozone wasp.

people are liking the “takoon” wings for a cheap entry wing.

Reactions: Planet_Erff
Jan 12, 2020
Man, I just picked up a used 5m swing and am playing with it on land. (So weird as I’ve never done a wind sport.) Not enough wind this weekend to mess with but I’ll be out shlogging around next weekend on a SUP for a session and then next session hope to get on foil.

I looked at the cams today, spots filled with people and literally thought, “you can have it, I’m going offshore.” Hope it’s as fun as everyone says and I can’t wait til I can do this in Hawaii.

Mar 20, 2019
Cowboy go straight to the foil. The foil makes a better skeg than your sup fins. Bigger the board the better. Kneepads are recommended if you're not in a full suit!

I had a breakthrough yesterday and was able to come back to the beach where I started after being out for 1.5 hrs, and not having to do a walk of shame back up the beach. Slowly getting jibes down, linked 4 or so in a row yesterday without falling. Haha though they are ugly and slooow transitions still. Tried getting up switch foot a couple times, haha that led to some spectacular falls. First time in my life I want it to get windy everyday!

Reactions: Hdip

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Why the change from ozone to brm? How do they compare to the ozone and f-one? Only using the 4m or do you have multiple sizes?
Ozone has had some design issues with the ones I have IMO, the center strut bladder kept failing. Happened on an offshore coast run about a mile out and had to paddle in. Luckily i was on my SUP wing board and the paddle in wasn't too tough. If i was on my sinker it would a been a bich.

The BRM's are a local Maui brand, so any issues they get dealt with immediately. I've had to wait weeks for replacement bladders on my Ozones. Yes, plural. I replaced the bladder in my 4m three times and just got the bladder in the mail for my 6m that failed.

I hear V2 Ozones coming out in October, hear they're going to have windows. Maybe they'll fix the bladder problem.

The F One was by far the lightest I've had. Had good wind range, but due to lacking material to keep weight down also meant it fatigued faster than a stronger build wing. Mine started to go soft after about 8 months. A soft wing loses power/pull and is not fun anymore.

The Ozone material build is strong and rigid, has good wind range, and goes upwind best I've had. Has too many handles IMO, but I think that's to satisfy the varying rider size/arm length. Lots of kids picking it up now, and moms.

The BRM, solid build, the bladders are separate not connected by a hose like the others. So you pump up the center strut, then the leading edge. You can load up alot of pressure in the leading edge, and not have to with the center strut. This may prolong some life in the wing is my guess too.

This 45min video from Greg at BRM sold me. Addressed alot of issues I'd been experiencing. He's got a long history with kite design and really put alot of thought into this.

Reactions: steamroller

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
thw BRMs are awesome i flew aMauiCloud kite once and couldn't believe how fast it turned....ive watch that guy ride his McDonald's tray foil and cloud kite out left of teach beach for hours....he knows his stuff!...woulda got one if they came with the GoFoil logo

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Man, I just picked up a used 5m swing and am playing with it on land. (So weird as I’ve never done a wind sport.) Not enough wind this weekend to mess with but I’ll be out shlogging around next weekend on a SUP for a session and then next session hope to get on foil.

I looked at the cams today, spots filled with people and literally thought, “you can have it, I’m going offshore.” Hope it’s as fun as everyone says and I can’t wait til I can do this in Hawaii.
Good practice on land, get a skateboard and hit your local mall or big parking lot. It'll teach you hand position and how to hold the wing in the wind. Wear a helmet.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Cowboysurf
Jan 12, 2020
I was wondering about skate training. Should I duct tape the edges? Not being a wind guy I have no idea how durable these things are.

Reactions: Kaser1

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I was wondering about skate training. Should I duct tape the edges? Not being a wind guy I have no idea how durable these things are.
Not durable at all. Do your best to not drag the wingtips. I did it a few times. The wing stays up over your head, not to hard to keep it off the ground when you can just step off your skateboard and lift the wing up.

The zuma parking lot works well.

Edit: The over the shoulder paddle strap in the downwind video looks sweet.

Jan 12, 2020
I noticed that strap too. When it’s good enough to surf that long seems like it’d be less gear to handle. Also good for when things go wrong way off shore.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Daily coast runs have been the daily norm for small packs of wingers here on Maui. I did 2 runs yesterday, first with just 1 buddy at 11am then the second run with a pack of 5, that connected up with another 2 half way down the coast. Those 2 we came across stopped and sat in the water, took pics.

http://instagr.am/p/CEdmmJkjXDg/

Reactions: steamroller

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Stoked for you ... but hard not to get a little jealous of Maui Life ... paradise for wind and wave chasers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaser1