10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Numbness and muscle atrophy?

Isn't it a sign of impingement and won't a nerve die due to impingement?
Numbness can be caused by many things and is not always from neurons dying. Also nerves are complex and many issues are temporary as they are able to regenerate or through plasticity messages can reroute messages through healthy nerve cells.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I agree.

It can be nothing or it can be a signal that something bad is happening.

Numbness is a trip because it doesn't hurt.

But it freaks you out.

It will make you crazy.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Lot of people walking around numb in the world.
Indeed a severe nerve compression could lead to long term nerve damage, muscle weakness, hyperreflexia, muscle atrophy, and possibly irreversible denervation.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Lot of people walking around numb in the world.
Indeed a severe nerve compression could lead to long term nerve damage, muscle weakness, hyperreflexia, muscle atrophy, and possibly irreversible denervation.
Peripheral Neuropathy called. It just had one thing to say: YES!!!!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Expect you'd be conked out for surgery.

As such, post surgery "hangovers" are a thing, see what you can do to prepare.

Can advise not eating too much 24 hours prior to surgery as post-op constipation is a thing (never seems to get mentioned).

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Expect you'd be conked out for surgery.

As such, post surgery "hangovers" are a thing, see what you can do to prepare.

Can advise not eating too much 24 hours prior to surgery as post-op constipation is a thing (never seems to get mentioned).

Good luck!
I've had a couple minor surgeries this year (man, i sound like I'm falling apart), and handle my drugs like a champ. I have however indeed been eating on the lighter side with little to no red meat to squeeze out later :D

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've had a couple minor surgeries this year (man, i sound like I'm falling apart), and handle my drugs like a champ. I have however indeed been eating on the lighter side with little to no red meat to squeeze out later :D
Good luck and Godspeed. Hope all goes well and you come out the other side "..better, stronger, faster.."

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Second day of recovery, feels like things have gone well. I was up and walking around the first day already without a walker or anything like that, stoked :)

The catheter coming out my pepis was the single worst experience of my life though. Truly awful
Yeah, I htink the goal is to have you moving asap.
yikes on the catheter. I don't recall having one, but I'd imagine a fusion is a longer procedure than an discectomy.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Second day of recovery, feels like things have gone well. I was up and walking around the first day already without a walker or anything like that, stoked :)

The catheter coming out my pepis was the single worst experience of my life though. Truly awful
Is local anesthetic not an option? :oops: Maybe you wouldn't want to risk complications....

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
You might not be far off the mark, little waxfoot was pretty unimpressive!

That said, I’m being let out a day early, waiting for wife to pick me up now :)

the doctors have said that they have never before seen such a strong specimen of a man, and the nurses have started a raffle to see who can bath and dress me. Unfortunately i was able to do it before they came to my room every morning.

there were many tears of loss heard down the hallway