10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I mentioned about my sister's full cage set up. I wanted to borrow her 35lb plates to move to the next level, but she told me my 17 year old niece is working with a coach and needs them. Well since she's working with a coach I figured I'd send her a video. I sent her a video of me doing a deadlift. Her reply?

"You need to clench your butt when you lock out." :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Is she yanking my chain?
lack of glutes preventing contraction? Do u have a small arse?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Upload top sets of the week to true coach and get video breakdown and feedback on my form. Coach does all my programming and can watch bar speed etc. and make adjustments. Coach it’s an SS coach which is pretty hard to get certified. They also do live zoom classes with multiple ppl but my schedule is fkd so i can never make them. I Did in person training prior which is optimal. I have a platform, power rack, bench, power bar and 500 lbs of weights at home tho. Some duuus record at the gym. I got my own set up at home bc I’d get in fights with all the idiots trying to curl in the squat rack when I used to train at golds gym. Fkn morans.
sounds fantastic :shaka: bar speed is another level understanding above what I ever got into. Decades ago free use of a gym came as part of a job in a technology park. My brother, was into it (and still is), so that's how I briefly (2 yrs perhaps) got into it. Haven't lived in the same country as my brother for a long time so it was mainly just Arnold's book and bro tips at the gym. I reckon I was overdoing it, training to failure seemed the norm back then. Had some minor injuries, but didn't do myself any long term damage - not the case for my brother though :( When the job ended my interest faded away and I moved on to other interests. The barbell squat is a very satisfying thing to do, but I don't have plans to restart.

Despite that little bit of prior experience, I know I couldn't reach 225 times 1 let alone 5. So is that thighs to horizontal or below knee?

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
sounds fantastic :shaka: bar speed is another level understanding above what I ever got into. Decades ago free use of a gym came as part of a job in a technology park. My brother, was into it (and still is), so that's how I briefly (2 yrs perhaps) got into it. Haven't lived in the same country as my brother for a long time so it was mainly just Arnold's book and bro tips at the gym. I reckon I was overdoing it, training to failure seemed the norm back then. Had some minor injuries, but didn't do myself any long term damage - not the case for my brother though :( When the job ended my interest faded away and I moved on to other interests. The barbell squat is a very satisfying thing to do, but I don't have plans to restart.

Despite that little bit of prior experience, I know I couldn't reach 225 times 1 let alone 5. So is that thighs to horizontal or below knee?

hip crease below the knee. if ur above parallel, it's a failed rep and coaach will make me redo the rep.

this is for low bar squats which has a more leaned over torso.

225 is not a big deal. u can hit that in a couple months of training. i thought it was until i got there. blew past it. i think 300 is a bigger deal. hope to get there by the end of summer.

also, if u can't deadlift 315 ur basically weaker than most 130 lb females who lift moderate weights.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
hip crease below the knee. if ur above parallel, it's a failed rep and coaach will make me redo the rep.

this is for low bar squats which has a more leaned over torso.

225 is not a big deal. u can hit that in a couple months of training. i thought it was until i got there. blew past it. i think 300 is a bigger deal. hope to get there by the end of summer.

also, if u can't deadlift 315 ur basically weaker than most 130 lb females who lift moderate weights.
You've got to stop comparing yourself to girls. It's playing with your mind. I'm not going to compare myself to my 17 year old niece.

You're probably a competitive personality. I am too. When I used to run I would not let people pass me. If they did I would stay on their heels for a couple a of minutes and then burn them. I can't do that anymore. Doctor's orders. Gotta watch the heart rate. Pisses me off when some 20 something passes me nowdays and I think "If I was 57 again, you'd be toast." But they usually they stop a mile or two down the beach and I cruise past them, so there's that satisfaction.

Nothing was more frustrating than when I was first getting back in the water after months of back rehab and the kooks on the Wavestorms were popping up better than I was. :poke:.:trout::cursing:

Last edited:

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Can’t seem to shake this nagging sciatic pain for the past month.
Before I get bombarded, yes I know:
pain is normal part of life, it will go away, I’m not broken, movement is good, etc. No I will never see a chiropractor, no I won’t see a ortho/neurosurgeon, no I won’t get imaging.

with that out of the way...

my problem is I want it to go away more quickly so I can get back to lifting.

I’ve just been doing high volume, low weight with lifts/movements (squats, stiff leg deadlifts) that don’t worsen the pain. I’ve gotten cocky and tried to up the weight a few times which aggravates it so then I back off and don’t try any further.

Is there anything different I should be doing? Or am I on the right track of trying to work around it and keep moving until it goes away? Should I be sucking it up and working through the pain, even if the lift with increased weight makes it hurt worse/more sharply?

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
pain is normal part of life, it will go away, I’m not broken, movement is good, etc. No I will never see a chiropractor, no I won’t see a ortho/neurosurgeon, no I won’t get imaging.

I’ve just been doing high volume, low weight with lifts/movements (squats, stiff leg deadlifts) that don’t worsen the pain. I’ve gotten cocky and tried to up the weight a few times which aggravates it so then I back off and don’t try any further.

Is there anything different I should be doing? Or am I on the right track of trying to work around it and keep moving until it goes away? Should I be sucking it up and working through the pain, even if the lift with increased weight makes it hurt worse/more sharply?

did u try rdl's? when i had some sciatica, my coach prescribed these to me and it stretched everything out. getting old sure does suck

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

My PT always said back off if any of the prescribed exercises increased the pain. Sounds to me you are doing it right. How much are you increasing the weight? Maybe try increasing the smallest increments possible, 5-10 lbs at a time?

This might be unrelated, but I also started hydrating. I drink minimum 2 32 ounce bottles of water (with lemon juice squeezed in- we have two lemon trees that supply us year round). That's in addition to coffee, juices and beer (I'm now non alcoholic, MD's suggestion, it took a while but now I don't even notice it's non alcoholic ). I also drink a cinnamon/hibiscus tea every evening (supposedly anti inflammatory).

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I hope Von M is right because I have had sudden attack of back pain and have manual labor for the rest of the week.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My PT always said back off if any of the prescribed exercises increased the pain.
This is wrong. After chronic pain you have a much lower "protect by pain" threshold and you have to work above it but below the "flare-up" line to increase pain tolerance:
1617720552244.png
1617721137664.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
And, then there's this, 17 year old hits 395 on the DL and doesn't look too bulky or stiff. Impressive to me, and same for Havoc's girls in his gym.

I'm impressed by the numbers you guys throw out there.

Reactions: One-Off