10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Gained mobility.
Gained in surfing.
Don't crouch for much of anything, it kneels down.
Tubes are a thing of my past, though I do get the occasional cover up still, nothing more than a second or two of shade.
Springy thingy is stitches.
It was supposed to be arthroscopic; damage was so bad he had to open me, 'do me' the old fashioned way, and actually bend one of the screws to fit the damaged vertebrae.

Hardest part of it all was the intestinal collapse after, learning to eat, digest, and walk again.

100% worth all of it. The pain is still with me, will be for life... I didn't do it to remove the pain, rather to be able to continue walking, phooking my wife, etc... Surfing is a perk.
Even before I went under, the surgeon let me know stabilization was the objective, any pain relief would be secondary; but as it was my fracture was unstable, one wrong step and it would have been wheelchair for life. As it was, I needed wheelchairs for flights, long huals etc... I just couldn't keep up physically.
I still get a lot of pain from walking long distances, but hey... aging gracefully is a gift not granted to everyone, is it?

:unsure:

Reactions: Mr J and One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Gained mobility.
Gained in surfing.
Don't crouch for much of anything, it kneels down.
Tubes are a thing of my past, though I do get the occasional cover up still, nothing more than a second or two of shade.
Springy thingy is stitches.
It was supposed to be arthroscopic; damage was so bad he had to open me, 'do me' the old fashioned way, and actually bend one of the screws to fit the damaged vertebrae.

Hardest part of it all was the intestinal collapse after, learning to eat, digest, and walk again.

100% worth all of it. The pain is still with me, will be for life... I didn't do it to remove the pain, rather to be able to continue walking, phooking my wife, etc... Surfing is a perk.
Even before I went under, the surgeon let me know stabilization was the objective, any pain relief would be secondary; but as it was my fracture was unstable, one wrong step and it would have been wheelchair for life. As it was, I needed wheelchairs for flights, long huals etc... I just couldn't keep up physically.
I still get a lot of pain from walking long distances, but hey... aging gracefully is a gift not granted to everyone, is it?

:unsure:
I'm humbled by the experiences of others shared here. My problems pale. One of the things about where I live is that 95% of the tubes you can get are crash tubes. I'm now a tube dodger or tube diver. It was the one thing I was kind of good at. I'd always pull in.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My cardiologist knows I'm lifting. He just said don't go really heavy (although that is pretty subjective) and to watch the heart rate. I just had a phone appt with him this week and he gave me green light to use creatine, Autoprax's miracle drug. I guess as long as I go slow and incrementally I could conceivably increase weight over time without stressing the heart too much...
Are you taking magnesium?

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Havoc said:
isn't there a back surgery wheere they put in an artificial disc? think joe rogans jiu jitsu buddies did that. also tim hendricks had a procedure like this as well. he surfs too

I have a fired who had it done in April. He's back to playing golf again.
My 87 yo mother is recovering from this a year ago.

Not quite yet out on the golf course swinging tho.

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
...One of the things about where I live is that 95% of the tubes you can get are crash tubes. I'm now a tube dodger or tube diver. It was the one thing I was kind of good at. I'd always pull in.
I've always been useless at tubes. The handful of times I have found myself staring down the barrel I have found the whole experience unbalancing, the last time I tried to control the situation was some years ago on a little wave, I lost my balance, the board travelled up the wave and hit my face - ouch. I've come to the acceptance that I should either avoid them or if I am about to get covered with a closeout one, shut my eyes to stop my contact lenses falling out and then fall into the face of the wave. This might sound pathetic, but I call it self preservation working within the limits of my ability. Instead I content myself with playing with the open face and bouncing off the white water :D

Reactions: waxfoot

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I've always been useless at tubes. The handful of times I have found myself staring down the barrel I have found the whole experience unbalancing, the last time I tried to control the situation was some years ago on a little wave, I lost my balance, the board travelled up the wave and hit my face - ouch. I've come to the acceptance that I should either avoid them or if I am about to get covered with a closeout one, shut my eyes to stop my contact lenses falling out and then fall into the face of the wave. This might sound pathetic, but I call it self preservation working within the limits of my ability. Instead I content myself with playing with the open face and bouncing off the white water :D
Got my eyes "done" just for the sole reason that the surgery cost €3000 for both eyes, and I had already lost €1500 worth of contact lenses.

P.S. rigid gas permeable was my go to, only problem was getting them out after sessions of 3hr or more duration.

So glad I had my eyes fixed. Had the guy overcorrect so my far vision is tremendous, knowing that you lose the short sight with age anyways.

So worth it!

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Great that it worked for you, but I'm not prepared to risk anything on my eyes. I use silicone hydrogel, do a morning surf, store them in those containers with lense fluid even though they are not the type for that. I told the optom what I was doing and after some thought and pause, he reckoned it was ok. I said I put them on in the house before leaving for the beach (5 or 10 mins away), take them out when I get home because I don't like keeping them in my eyes and they are not as good as my bifocal glasses for my puter, keyboard and screen day job. Then put them in for an arvo or evening surf.

I'm short sighted. When I do the annual build of my surfboard, I don't wear glasses (or contacts), particularly when sanding coz the dust covers the lenses and I end up sanding through the fiberglass coz I can't see properly :D

PS If I get sucked deep and need to locate the surface of the water to swim upwards, I have to half open my eyes, to stop losing my lenses.

Last edited:

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Havoc said:
isn't there a back surgery wheere they put in an artificial disc? think joe rogans jiu jitsu buddies did that. also tim hendricks had a procedure like this as well. he surfs too

My 87 yo mother is recovering from this a year ago.

Not quite yet out on the golf course swinging tho.
yeah read tim hendricks had to travel to germany to get the procedure done. not fda approved in usa.

ronnie coleman had fusion and the discs above and below the initial fusion blew out and up the chain he had to get those fused as well. father time...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Instead, that was my specialty. I was pretty good at stalling, positioning and fitting in. Big waves (well for me big) and small, but mostly small. I think I actually de-formed my body by spending so much time in this position, looking to fit into small tubes-

surfmalibu.jpg

I discovered this when I started skiing. Sitting in the chair lift I would see that my left ski was angled out normally (normally meaning like my friends). My right ski would be angled out a relatively extreme angle. I attributed this to my back leg always being in the extreme valgus position (splayed out) when crouched. Also a lot of back flexion. The day I injured my back was after three days in a row of three hour tube fest sessions ...probably a lot of close outs. Anything for the "vision."

For some reason the leg deformity never became an issue. Now that I run in sandals the knees never hurt (went for a 13 miler yesterday after a two hour surf session). But the back....

Reactions: tacos and Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Surf goggles? :unsure:
I have seen someone wear them (beginner/intermediate), but I have my doubts about how well they stay on and not getting water in them. Then there is loss of peripheral vision and blobs of water on the lense.

I'm happy with my contact lenses, they are the daily disposable type and I only lose something like one or two a year. I'm not going to get tubes even if I didn't have to close my eyes at times :D

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Instead, that was my specialty. I was pretty good at stalling, positioning and fitting in. Big waves (well for me big) and small, but mostly small. I think I actually de-formed my body by spending so much time in this position, looking to fit into small tubes-

I discovered this when I started skiing. Sitting in the chair lift I would see that my left ski was angled out normally (normally meaning like my friends). My right ski would be angled out a relatively extreme angle. I attributed this to my back leg always being in the extreme valgus position (splayed out) when crouched. Also a lot of back flexion. The day I injured my back was after three days in a row of three hour tube fest sessions ...probably a lot of close outs. Anything for the "vision."

For some reason the leg deformity never became an issue. Now that I run in sandals the knees never hurt (went for a 13 miler yesterday after a two hour surf session). But the back....
:cool: your posture going for that tube looks very natural to me. Your rear foot does look splayed out. I don't have your tube sense, but I got the splayed foot!

This video was taken a few months ago by one of the kiddies in the skatepark. It was just after the police enforced COVID border between regional Victoria and metro Vic came down and I reclaimed my skateboard. Take a look at the first few seconds and also from about 20 seconds in to 25 seconds. My knee can be seen noticeably knocking inwards when pushing my skateboard, this is my natural gait to overcome my collapsed arches (flat feet). My feet and ankles are like bags of hypermobile bones suspended in jelly :D

Despite wearing orthotics in my skate shoes, my arch collapses and shin rotates around my ankle under body weight. My knee naturally knocks inward to try and reduce that shin rotation and on top of that my foot subconsciously tries to compensate by pointing backwards - even more so on my surfboard judging by the black marks that appear on my boards with no traction. Someone on swaylocks told me I was standing on my board wrong, he is right, but if I tried to do it properly I would end up with knee problems and actually I did have a right knee problems from this condition - muscle imbalance occurred in right leg - physio pointed out how one muscle had "gone to sleep". My ITB band was like a tight steel wire. Despite having mobile hips and my muscle imbalance corrected I get tightness somewhere in the top/outer hip. I've also got bow legs which might have something to do with it. Not everyone with flat feet and bow legs gets imbalances though, my mother never had knee probs, although she never pushed herself athletically.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Your IT Band is supposed to be tight. It's like a thick leather strap. You can't stretch it or loosen it. None of your muscles have gone to sleep and you've never had a muscle imbalance. Your physio is an asshole.

How much do you pay Jiffy Lube when they sell you nitrogen for your tires?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou:
I don't often need advice about my physical health, but when I do... I like to get it from "surfers" on a bulletin board.

V.M. what medical school did YOU go to, for ANYONE to take your "advice"?

View attachment 105721

I listened to "actual doctors" for 4 years feeding me the same B.S. as V.M is dishing out here.

Turned out, they were just trying to save the state some money. (Yes, socialized medicine has its drawbacks)

As soon as I went to a private neurosurgeon, he told me just exactly why it hurt so much it was driving me insane, to the point of contemplating suicide.

Thanks to one of the top 5 neurosurgeons in the world, I got fusion done in 2014.

2021, still manageable pain levels, without much pharmacological medication. Still surfing at 57, even shortboards.

Can not only feel below my waiste now, but actually get erections again.

So, yeah.... YMMV listening to someone whose medical credentials are well, non-existent, who dishes out B.S. on any topic freely, as if they were the only authorities on everything.

Best of luck to anyone suffering.

Listen to your body. It knows some things.
I am an authority on strength training. Guess who considers physical activity and strength training to play an important role in health and wellness.....Doctors.

You don't know what I'm "saying here" because you are an actual moron. Do you still visit that dumb place where you feel the earths healing vibrations?

You got in a serious car accident. These aren't similar in any way to the aches and pains of life, dingleberry.

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
VM what do you do to strengthen hip flexors? Squats and Deadlifts are working the posterior chain. How about the anterior chain? Is there such a thing?

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I am an authority on strength training. Guess who considers physical activity and strength training to play an important role in health and wellness.....Doctors.

You don't know what I'm "saying here" because you are an actual moron. Do you still visit that dumb place where you feel the earths healing vibrations?

You got in a serious car accident. These aren't similar in any way to the aches and pains of life, dingleberry.
Authority? Right! Get back to school little kid...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::loser::loser::loser::foreheadslap::shameonyou: