10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Over 5 months after my initial injury (?), I finally got in a real surf session.:drowning: Caught about 20 small waves. Talked story with Mike Purpus- two old guys sharing tales of their physical ailments:LOL:. I think he one upped me with his double hip replacements. I've been paddling since the beach lock down was lifted and would catch an occasional wave, but it was so sketchy and I'd fall 50% of the time, so I didn't count that as surfing. I felt like a total beginner, like a first day surfing beginner. It was kind of humiliating. Or humbling. I will never make fun of beginners again. I was around beginners popping to their feet and I couldn't.

But today I surfed.:shaka:

I now do a one hour plank routine 2-3 times a week (I timed over 36 minutes in some variation of a plank- much longer holds than the description I posted above). I also started lifting the barbell, also 2-3 days a week (RDLs, Squats, overhead presses and curls). I was doing the lifting the same day as the planks but it was a bit much, even with a full rest day in between. It's been very slow and gradual, all done under the supervision (by phone) of a physical therapist- empty bar for a couple weeks. Then 55lbs. Then 65 lbs. Now 75lbs. At this point I have to buy more plates but the inexpensive ones are sold out every where. I also need a squat rack. I'm at the limit of the clean, press and lower the bar behind my back routine to do squats.

I'm not going to go really heavy, based on what I've read and what my cardiologist told me regarding my heart condition (myocardial bridge). I also don't think I'll do marathons again. Maybe half. With lifting I'd like to get to about body weight with a lot of reps. Just want a little insurance policy for my back. I don't want to go through this again. Fook! What a long trip it's been.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Nice. Congrats.

My rehab is slow going. I've been on the stationary bike a few times but it hurts the back of my thigh to stand on the pedals. Something about the bracing back and forth. I need to swim and go for a paddle.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Nice. Congrats.

My rehab is slow going. I've been on the stationary bike a few times but it hurts the back of my thigh to stand on the pedals. Something about the bracing back and forth. I need to swim and go for a paddle.
I would be patient but persistent. My PT slowly loaded up over a time line of months. Stay active do what you can and slowly add resistance.

I'm curious- do they do post surgery imaging?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I would be patient but persistent. My PT slowly loaded up over a time line of months. Stay active do what you can and slowly add resistance.

I'm curious- do they do post surgery imaging?

nope. Maybe if we weren't still in the "emergency only" holding pattern, but no.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
patrolman check out nerve flossing barbell logic
I didn't see anything on their site about nerve flossing. I will watch the pain video. But that said, besides my exercise program I also have 6 stretches I do 2-3 times a day and this is one of them. When I was still in pain when I did this stretch I could definitely feel a pull in my lower back. Now that I'm 90% better I don't feel that pull but still feel the hamstring is tight.

Hi guys! Yep, thanks for sharing these myths. By the way I know a great method for back pain. This helped my father a lot and he was able to completely get rid of back pain. He was excellently helped by Kratom. This is not a strong drug but this substance belongs to the class of opioids and the effect is simply awesome. He found out about Kratom from his friend and from reviews from the Internet he found the best Kratom rank vendors. Now he continues to order small batches of kratom from this supplier. By the way, I recently tasted tea with kratom for the first time in my life and the effect is awesome simply. This is great relaxing! So u can buy kratom at gnc!

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Great thread here. Thanks to VM and everyone else for sharing their experiences and advice. Bob Dob, hope you are making progress with your recovery. Maybe I'll see in you in the water at OB in the future.

I had L5-S1 surgery in 2016 to free the sciatic nerve, which was encrusted with hardened disc material and hematoma after a suffering an extruded disc that fragmented. Fast forward four years, and I started experiencing sciatica again. Started as a little tug in my left glute when I took a step, and over the course of 6 weeks it rapidly devolved into spasming in my calf and a deep (8/10 pain) ache in my foot and then a tingling sensation in my toes and on the sole of my foot. No apparent loss of motor function at this point.

Course of steroids and gabapentin have reduced my pain significantly but the tingle remains. Just got results of the MRI back and it's not looking good:

L4-L5 5mm disc bulge displacing nerve root.
L5-S1 1.2 cm paracentral disc extrusion on the posterior side and 1.1 cm correlate. Also severe left lateral recess narrowing with displacement and impingement of left S1 nerve root. Also moderate foraminal narrowing that is abutting the exiting L5 nerve root.

Can't say I fully understand the terminology here, but from what I can tell there is nerve compression at multiple sites from both discs and "narrowing" of passageways. Have yet to discuss the MRI with my docs, but I'm intent on avoiding surgery unless permanent nerve damage becomes a serious concern.

Right now, I'm not doing any real exercise or strength training besides walking and crawling (this feels great and is helping me maintain some strength in shoulders and core). Physical therapist sent me back to doc after I was unable to do anything she prescribed without pain. Going back to PT now that pain management has been so effective.

Fuck my shitty spine.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Havoc and Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Great thread here. Thanks to VM and everyone else for sharing their experiences and advice. Bob Dob, hope you are making progress with your recovery. Maybe I'll see in you in the water at OB in the future.

I had L5-S1 surgery in 2016 to free the sciatic nerve, which was encrusted with hardened disc material and hematoma after a suffering an extruded disc that fragmented. Fast forward four years, and I started experiencing sciatica again. Started as a little tug in my left glute when I took a step, and over the course of 6 weeks it rapidly devolved into spasming in my calf and a deep (8/10 pain) ache in my foot and then a tingling sensation in my toes and on the sole of my foot. No apparent loss of motor function at this point.

Course of steroids and gabapentin have reduced my pain significantly but the tingle remains. Just got results of the MRI back and it's not looking good:

L5-S1 1.2 cm paracentral disc extrusion on the posterior side and 1.1 cm correlate. Also severe left lateral recess narrowing with displacement and impingement of left S1 nerve root. Also moderate foraminal narrowing that is abutting the exiting L5 nerve root.

Can't say I fully understand the terminology here, but from what I can tell there is nerve compression at multiple sites from both discs and "narrowing" of passageways. Have yet to discuss the MRI with my docs, but I'm intent on avoiding surgery unless permanent nerve damage becomes a serious concern.

Right now, I'm not doing any real exercise or strength training besides walking and crawling (this feels great and is helping me maintain some strength in shoulders and core). Physical therapist sent me back to doc after I was unable to do anything she prescribed without pain. Going back to PT now that pain management has been so effective.

fook my shitty spine.
Never like to hear about anyone dealing with pain, but especially back pain. I’ve been there. Best of luck on your road to recovery. Very excited to hear you mention crawling. A lot of the strength and conditioning people I follow (Dan John loves it for athletes and rehab) have been talking about what a powerful tool the most basic mode of human locomotion is.

Reactions: bluengreen

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

fook my shitty spine.

That's gotta be frustrating.

I'm doing a bit more now and feeling better. I still have the pain in my right leg, but it has shrunken down quite a bit. Unfortunately, the motion that gives me the most pain is moving from a prone or plank position to a standing position (read: pop up). I'm a week from what my surgeon gave me for a green light to surf, but I'm not ready.

Reactions: Havoc

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas

I'm doing a bit more now and feeling better. I still have the pain in my right leg, but it has shrunken down quite a bit. Unfortunately, the motion that gives me the most pain is moving from a prone or plank position to a standing position (read: pop up). I'm a week from what my surgeon gave me for a green light to surf, but I'm not ready.
Sorry to hear, Bob. My recovery from the surgery was a long, hard road too. Took me at least a full year to feel "normal" again. I remember a doldrums period between 3-5 months when I felt like I was making 0 progress and was still very limited in my activity. Surgery itself is a trauma that can take a long time to heal from. And when the nerve has been damaged and sending pain signals for as many months as yours was, it can take just as much time (or more) to start acting normal again. The good news is, it most likely will. Hang in there!

P.S. have you tried paddling? I was doing sprints out to Deadmans and back on my gun until extension started being a problem for me. It might feel great to get in the ocean even for a paddle or swim.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

It took me about 6 months to pop up. I've finally ridden my shortboard a few times. My pop up is definitely a lot slower than before...

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Sorry to hear, Bob. My recovery from the surgery was a long, hard road too. Took me at least a full year to feel "normal" again. I remember a doldrums period between 3-5 months when I felt like I was making 0 progress and was still very limited in my activity. Surgery itself is a trauma that can take a long time to heal from. And when the nerve has been damaged and sending pain signals for as many months as yours was, it can take just as much time (or more) to start acting normal again. The good news is, it most likely will. Hang in there!

P.S. have you tried paddling? I was doing sprints out to Deadmans and back on my gun until extension started being a problem for me. It might feel great to get in the ocean even for a paddle or swim.
I swam a few times at Aquatic Park. I hate swimming in general but I really don't like it now because the turning, kicking, and breathing works together to cause pain.

My PT doctor told me that paddling shouldn't be an issue so I'll probably start that soon and see how it goes.

Reactions: iclypso

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Swimming is not great for your back.

It puts you in hyper extension.

I think lairds pool workouts could be good for your back.

Fun too

Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
All those myths about lower back pain are very interesting actually. They help you to understand that you are not alone in the way you think. Also, you have to understand that being aware if we are talking about myth or reality is really helpful so you can know if you have to worry or not. Anyway, it can be surely stated that if you experience some real health troubles you have to go to a doctor. Before that, you can go and have a glance at learning endoscopic spine surgery courses. It can be really helpful if you are will go to a surgery so you understand if everything is going as planned and even, why not, tell the doctor if you think something is not as you think it should be!

Last edited: