10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm maintaining. Thanks.

I walked around the block the last two days. I have to climb 3 flights of stairs to get in and out of the house.

Nights are the worst. Getting into bed, the weird cramp like pain starts up and down my legs, It took about 30 minutes of it before it subsided and I could fall asleep. I wake up screaming 30-60 minutes before it's time to take my medication (1-2 AM). I take the meds, I writhe in pain for another 30 minutes, then sleep until about 5-6am.

Daytime is a bit better 30 minutes after a shower. I can't really imagine much PT. I did a few small degree squats.
Have you done any soft tissue work?

Go after your adductors and see how you feel.

I like to do this with a barbell lying on my back

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Have you done any soft tissue work?

Go after your adductors and see how you feel.

I like to do this with a barbell lying on my back

I have not.

early on (2 months ago) I would do that. go at my glutes with a lacrosse ball on those tender points.

Now, any sort of change in the angle of my pelvis is shockingly painful.
The nerves in my hip abductors fire off randomly when I tense up just turning around.
Whatever you call the core muscles you feel around the perinium and higher thatare right above your junk are in a constant state of contraction. I assume in order to try to protect what the CNS beieves to be the issue. When I force them to release, they slowly seize back up and spasm.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have not.

early on (2 months ago) I would do that. go at my glutes with a lacrosse ball on those tender points.

The nerves in my hip abductors fire off randomly when I tense up just turning around.
Whatever you call the core muscles you feel around the perinium and higher thatare right above your junk are in a constant state of contraction. I assume in order to try to protect what the CNS beieves to be the issue. When I force them to release, they slowly seize back up and spasm.
Try not to force.

I would say inter pelvic massage but that freaks people out.

And try this

Low risk trial and error experimentation is the key.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So the day after my work out, right glute is sore again, this time a little of the right groin and hamstrings are sore too. I would say (hope) the groin, hamstring and maybe even the glute might be DOMS, but the left side glute is fine. ??? This AM I tried to do a hamstring stretch, and when I did the right leg, I got a serious twinge in the lower back that made me stop. Still some nerve thing going on. I'm going to keep working it though. 2 days rest now. I might continue the planks on off days.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Welp.

My discectomy surgery scheduled for next Friday has been officially cancelled with no reschedule date in sight.

I guess I'll be monitoring how long it takes for a ruptured disc to heal itself.
A what point does your suffering warrant a reschedule? I'm assuming the cancellation is because of the virus. I can see cancelling elective surgeries, but your situation sounds like it's getting past being elective. Have you called again? What hospital were you scheduled at? Do they have a large influx of CV patients?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
4 or 5

mostly 5.

VM, I do a staggered progression. lock in a certain weight, then go see my mate or buy more weights at the pawnshop.
You should be able to add 5 pounds minimum every workout if deadlifting is new to you. What you lift today will provide stress. Your body is going to adapt to that stress so lifting it again isn't going to be as beneficial as progressing.

Reactions: Autoprax

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So the day after my work out, right glute is sore again, this time a little of the right groin and hamstrings are sore too. I would say (hope) the groin, hamstring and maybe even the glute might be DOMS, but the left side glute is fine. ??? This AM I tried to do a hamstring stretch, and when I did the right leg, I got a serious twinge in the lower back that made me stop. Still some nerve thing going on. I'm going to keep working it though. 2 days rest now. I might continue the planks on off days.
DON"T TO HAMSTROMG STREACHES!

You ANS is telling no.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Mr. J- Cobra position was called "prone press up" and I was given instructions to keep lower back and glutes relaxed and to stop if I had any pain. Yesterday I was pain free. This AM as I got out of bed I had a couple of pangs in the glute. Did the extensions and thumb pressure now I'm sitting eating breakfast, no pain in the glute (yeah!).

I suspect lack of rest days did not help my recovery. Weeks of doing gbg's self suck might not have helped either.

Today I'm going to do the work out with no run. My daughter and I been running to the beach (about a mile) then walking along the shore picking up trash. That way we stay upwind of the crowds (yes, there are a lot of people at the beach) and it feels good to leave the beach pristine. My shins were getting sore and I was wondering what exercise was causing that, then realized it's from running/walking on the inclined beach.

Havoc- it's actually good to hear that Rogue sold out. It means at least some businesses are seeing a momentary uptick. Must be hard on the gym owners. I really have no where to put a full rack. I have one spot outside in the yard I could put a half rack but my neighbors will be able to watch me lift.

feralseppo- is it possible that your discs are herniated on the other side? This article says the disc can herniate in any direction. It would make sense.
My discs are bulged to the right side (makes sense because I was hit by the car on the left side), which is the side where I had the shin/ankle pain and then permanent numbness. When I got the numbness in the crotch area after lifting, the second MRI showed one of the discs then bulged in the center.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
A what point does your suffering warrant a reschedule?
Never. If pain moves to numbness or incontinence, they will reassess as these are predictors of more serious issues. Me being in pain and not sleeping well does not define emergency.

I'm assuming the cancellation is because of the virus.
Correct. They have closed all Operating Rooms to surgeries unless it is cancer related or emergency.

I can see cancelling elective surgeries, but your situation sounds like it's getting past being elective. Have you called again?
No. The surgeon said that all of his patients are in a "waiting room" position and that his office will schedule them as soon as possible.

What hospital were you scheduled at?
Kaiser, Redwood City, California. But I have been told that all Kaiser facilities are under the same advisory.

Do they have a large influx of CV patients?
It's a city just south of San Francisco. The Bay Area in general has been hit pretty hard. The South Bay (San Jose, Santa Clara, etc. has the most cases).

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Never. If pain moves to numbness or incontinence, they will reassess as these are predictors of more serious issues. Me being in pain and not sleeping well does not define emergency.

Correct. They have closed all Operating Rooms to surgeries unless it is cancer related or emergency.

No. The surgeon said that all of his patients are in a "waiting room" position and that his office will schedule them as soon as possible.

Kaiser, Redwood City, California. But I have been told that all Kaiser facilities are under the same advisory.

It's a city just south of San Francisco. The Bay Area in general has been hit pretty hard. The South Bay (San Jose, Santa Clara, etc. has the most cases).
One more reason to hope the virus madness ends ASAP.

My butt hurts. Not DOMS. Get pain in the glute bending my head to get in the car....I'm going to tone down the work outs for a while....

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
On a side note.

The trap bar works great for doing milararty presses.

I always get neck aches when I use a regular bar and start to pile the weight on.

The trap bar feel perfect.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The continuing saga...

So I figure I have a herniated disc. Woke up today 3 days after the work out and glute was still very painful. The groin and hamstring are no longer sore so I figure that was normal DOMS from the squats. But the pain in the glute is "electric."

So would I be well advised to lay off the weight lifting and pull ups until the pain is gone? Disc healed? According to the video below, I have a good prognosis. One website said 4-6 weeks to heal (I'm past that). One said 3-4 months. I might be on target for that. Maybe I'm just too eager to get into the weights and am not letting things settle down first. I'm going for a run today but no weights.

And yeah that cobra stretch feels good when I do it. The piriformis stretch not as much.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
There is a theory that dehydration can contribute to a herniated/bulged disc. If you are constantly dehydrated, the disc shrinks and then it slips out of place pushes on a nerve and all hell breaks loose. You can also have inflammation causing an impingement. Steroids have helped me a few times. Last time I had the episode where I couldn't stand up straight, much less walk, for a month I took two Medrol packs with no real immediate effect. Other times before that steroids helped. Also helped with the numbness.

The book "The Permanent Pain Cure" by Ming Chew that I referenced a few pages back has a comprehensive approach with stretches that are more like poses than stretching, nutrition and a weight program to strengthen yourself. He recommends hydrating yourself for about 10 days before starting his program, which means drinking about a 3 quarts to a gallon of water per day, taking some supplements that help reduce inflammation (fish oil, enzymes and other joint supplements) and eating a diet that is directed a reducing inflammation in the body. When I wake up with a sore, stiff low back in the morning, I go through a series of about 7 stretches outlined in the book directed at the back and I good to go. No more pain/stiffness.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I have not.

This is also my issue.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
There is a theory that dehydration can contribute to a herniated/bulged disc. If you are constantly dehydrated, the disc shrinks and then it slips out of place pushes on a nerve and all hell breaks loose. You can also have inflammation causing an impingement. Steroids have helped me a few times. Last time I had the episode where I couldn't stand up straight, much less walk, for a month I took two Medrol packs with no real immediate effect. Other times before that steroids helped. Also helped with the numbness.

The book "The Permanent Pain Cure" by Ming Chew that I referenced a few pages back has a comprehensive approach with stretches that are more like poses than stretching, nutrition and a weight program to strengthen yourself. He recommends hydrating yourself for about 10 days before starting his program, which means drinking about a 3 quarts to a gallon of water per day, taking some supplements that help reduce inflammation (fish oil, enzymes and other joint supplements) and eating a diet that is directed a reducing inflammation in the body. When I wake up with a sore, stiff low back in the morning, I go through a series of about 7 stretches outlined in the book directed at the back and I good to go. No more pain/stiffness.
Have you implemented his method with success?