10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I did some deadlifts last night for the first time ever & my back feels good....like I worked it, sore muscles kinda good...especially lats. Never felt it there before.
Went light & slow but I will be continuing

Reactions: CutnSnip and Havoc

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I did some deadlifts last night for the first time ever & my back feels good....like I worked it, sore muscles kinda good...especially lats. Never felt it there before.
Went light & slow but I will be continuing

they really are a game changer to someone just starting out.

to the OP, when you are done trying to suck your own dick ( i kid, i kid :ROFLMAO:) - give it a whirl with just the bar and then comfortably work your way up in accordance with your pain.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
they really are a game changer to someone just starting out.

to the OP, when you are done trying to suck your own dick ( i kid, i kid :ROFLMAO:) - give it a whirl with just the bar and then comfortably work your way up in accordance with your pain.
My bar was supposed to come this week- 45 lb olympic bar. I'll probably start with just 5 lb weights on the bar and then add 5 lbs a week....

I was going to surf this weekend but came down with a ferocious cold. Occupational hazard.

Reactions: CutnSnip

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've been wondering about the absence of spinal flexion in almost all the exercises and stretches I was seeing (except gbg's). I found this article which is so technical and boring that it is probably unsuitable for erBB audience, but it in large degree confirms VM's initial post-

"Damage" in the spine is poorly linked with pain. "

However there was one bit of info I found interesting-

"A documented disc herniation injury pathway exists."

The pathway had to do with the "rate' of compression. A high rate of compression led to disc herniation. In other words, a fast movement. On my road to recovery the burpee felt the scariest and most "compromising" because everything else I did- bridges, squats, superman, push ups, planks, pull ups, etc.etc.- were all slow movements or isometric. The burpee was totally dynamic.

Surfing is totally dynamic.

But I got Gbg's stretch down-

99-problems-but-a-disc-.001.jpg

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
But that's like saying don't go surfing if you're having back issues. Succes in my rehab ends with getting back to the line up. If I can't do burpees I can't do pop ups...can't surf.
When do you do that repeated motion 10-15 times in row multiple set when you surf?

How many times do you do pop up in a surf session?

15?

And how much time between each pop up is there?

Burpies =/ standing up during a surf session.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I've been wondering about the absence of spinal flexion in almost all the exercises and stretches I was seeing (except gbg's). I found this article which is probably so technical and boring that it is probably unsuitable for erBB audience, but it in large degree confirm VM initial post-

A documented disc herniation injury pathway exists-

It had to do with the "rate' of compression. A high rate of compression led to disc herniation. In other a fast movement. On my road to recovery the burpee felt the scariest and most "compromising" because everything else I did- bridges, squats, superman, push ups. planks, pull ups, etc.etc.- were all slow movements or isometric. The burpee was totally dynamic.

View attachment 86757
Have you made progress?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Have you made progress?
A little bit. It really makes me feel how tight my hips are (maybe too much running). And it is the only exercise/stretch that puts my back into serious flexion. The only other one I can think of is the "child's pose" which is much less extreme and, I have to say, really feels good, whereas yours feels kind of sketchy.

One thing this injury has brought to light is how weak I am. Post injury when I started doing squats and lunges I was surprised how weak my quads were. The only activities I did before the injury were surfing and running. I've always been of the mindset- "the best exercise for surfing is surfing." I only started running to get cardio when I couldn't surf. Now, at 58, I'm going to have to change the mindset....

Even when it comes to running (which, missing out on this year's LA Marathon, I realize I really enjoy).

I watched these videos. After watching the Rippetoe deadlift tutorials, I was kind of appalled at how casually he did the lifts...I'm sure VM and Havoc would have some critiques...

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I've been wondering about the absence of spinal flexion in almost all the exercises and stretches I was seeing (except gbg's). I found this article which is so technical and boring that it is probably unsuitable for erBB audience, but it in large degree confirms VM's initial post-

"A documented disc herniation injury pathway exists."

The pathway had to do with the "rate' of compression. A high rate of compression led to disc herniation. In other words, a fast movement. On my road to recovery the burpee felt the scariest and most "compromising" because everything else I did- bridges, squats, superman, push ups, planks, pull ups, etc.etc.- were all slow movements or isometric. The burpee was totally dynamic.

View attachment 86757
It was always assumed that a flat back held rigidly in position was safer. Remember lift with your knees? The deadlift is commonly taught by any coach with half a brain to be done with a back in extension.

There is no evidence that injury rate increases with a back in flexion. The issue is that most people who get injured with their beck in flexion are usually doing a lot of other things that contribute to injury, like jerking on the bar, changing the position of the spine under load etc etc.

I coach the deadlift with the back in extension or mostly flat because this puts the lifter in the best position to execute and finish the lift in a efficient and safe manner. I allow the lifters general posture to dictate the exact position. I'm not dogmatic about it and I don't yell "keep your back straight" if there is some change in position or slight rounding under load. I'm looking for general tightness of the lifter and will comment to "stay tight" if I see back movement as a general body cue, not a back position critique.

The spine is meant to round by design.

There is nothing to suggest that burgees or any other movement is a cause of back pain. As you get older the discs between your vertebrae get smaller and desiccated to the point that you will feel some stiffness sometimes, some pain at others, and some activities or movements will not feel good....so don't do them. It's up to you to decide if your love of burpees is suck that you are willing to live with the discomfort of doing them. I will say this though. Burpees are a perfectly normal and healthy activity and do not lead to back issues.

Surfing is dynamic and healthy not in any way something to be avoided. if your back is sore or your concerned about injury, just remember to stay tight. You probably do this subconsciously anyway but keeping your abs tight increases your paddling efficiency and will alleviate stress on your lower back while surfing. You can see a lot of people who get what I call belly droop when they do activities, using the weight of the stomach to counterweight the body through movement. Generally this is a sign of laziness or being too weak through the hips and thighs to perform the activity tight with good posture.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
A little bit. It really makes me feel how tight my hips are (maybe too much running). And it is the only exercise/stretch that puts my back into serious flexion. The only other one I can think of is the "child's pose" which is much less extreme and, I have to say, really feels good, whereas yours feels kind of sketchy.

One thing this injury has brought to light is how weak I am. Post injury when I started doing squats and lunges I was surprised how weak my quads were. The only activities I did before the injury were surfing and running. I've always been of the mindset- "the best exercise for surfing is surfing." I only started running to get cardio when I couldn't surf. Now, at 58, I'm going to have to change the mindset....

Even when it comes to running (which, missing out on this year's LA Marathon, I realize I really enjoy).

I watched these videos. After watching the Rippetoe deadlift tutorials, I was kind of appalled at how casually he did the lifts...I'm sure VM and Havoc would have some critiques...
Surfing makes you better at surfing.

Strength gives you bigger potential.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When do you do that repeated motion 10-15 times in row multiple set when you surf?

How many times do you do pop up in a surf session?

15?

And how much time between each pop up is there?

Burpies =/ standing up during a surf session.
Still, I went and rewatched Havoc's pro pop up video- https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/pros-popping-up.224892/

Back goes from major extension to flexion at a rapid "rate."

Also, duck diving, which you can do up to ten times in a row in fairly quick succession, is a movement that goes from mild flexion to major extension at a rapid rate.

When I got "injured" I remember I was paddling back out, duck diving small waves, albeit on a mid length which takes a bit more energy. Maybe the mid length:cursing: is the root cause of all my ills?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Still, I went and rewatched Havoc's pro pop up video- https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/pros-popping-up.224892/

Back goes from major extension to flexion at a rapid "rate."

Also, duck diving, which you can do up to ten times in a row in fairly quick succession, is a movement that goes from mild flexion to major extension at a rapid rate.

When I got "injured" I remember I was paddling back out, duck diving small waves, albeit on a mid length which takes a bit more energy. Maybe the mid length:cursing: is the root cause of all my ills?
You're over thinking it. You had a minor strain. It can happen Turing around when someone behind you calls your name. It's over now.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I know I am. But, in my world, at least up until now, minor sh!t didn't put me in the ER unable to stand unassisted. And it's over but the pain is not gone. My wife thinks I'm over exercising. I spend 2-3 hours every evening, when I used to be on the couch watching TV, doing a myriad of exercises.

Barbell is still in the mail....

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It was always assumed that a flat back held rigidly in position was safer. Remember lift with your knees? The deadlift is commonly taught by any coach with half a brain to be done with a back in extension.

There is no evidence that injury rate increases with a back in flexion. The issue is that most people who get injured with their beck in flexion are usually doing a lot of other things that contribute to injury, like jerking on the bar, changing the position of the spine under load etc etc.

I coach the deadlift with the back in extension or mostly flat because this puts the lifter in the best position to execute and finish the lift in a efficient and safe manner. I allow the lifters general posture to dictate the exact position. I'm not dogmatic about it and I don't yell "keep your back straight" if there is some change in position or slight rounding under load. I'm looking for general tightness of the lifter and will comment to "stay tight" if I see back movement as a general body cue, not a back position critique.

The spine is meant to round by design.

There is nothing to suggest that burgees or any other movement is a cause of back pain. As you get older the discs between your vertebrae get smaller and desiccated to the point that you will feel some stiffness sometimes, some pain at others, and some activities or movements will not feel good....so don't do them. It's up to you to decide if your love of burpees is suck that you are willing to live with the discomfort of doing them. I will say this though. Burpees are a perfectly normal and healthy activity and do not lead to back issues.

Surfing is dynamic and healthy not in any way something to be avoided. if your back is sore or your concerned about injury, just remember to stay tight. You probably do this subconsciously anyway but keeping your abs tight increases your paddling efficiency and will alleviate stress on your lower back while surfing. You can see a lot of people who get what I call belly droop when they do activities, using the weight of the stomach to counterweight the body through movement. Generally this is a sign of laziness or being too weak through the hips and thighs to perform the activity tight with good posture.
Stay tight? But I want to surf like the "Rubberman!"

Ironically the Rubberman was sidelined for good because of spinal (disc) problems.