10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It seems that there are 2 camps. Pardon my butchering of terminology, but here goes:
1)Pain Management/Reduction: This is when people are in acute pain and want that pain to subside. The pain makes it difficult or seemingly impossible to move freely (IE, me. today).

2)Rehabilitation: This is when people are able to move freely enough to focus on strength and movement, not the perceived limitation that the pain is telling them.

It's hard to imagine squatting when you can't get out of bed. It's hard to imagine dead lifts when you can't walk freely for an hour after you wake up. Hence, people gravitation toward pain management (read: sheet that makes you feel better). Despite the clinical impacts of soft tissue manipulation, chiropractic adjustments, massage, trigger point therapy, or otherwise, people want to feel as if they are free to move before they feel that they can strength train. Most of these things make you "feel good" but don't necessarily fix your condition, and for many, that's where they stop. Inevitably, they experience the symptoms again later. But sometimes it gets them to a space where they can start the long term work of fixing the problem through strength training.

Just my ignorant current view as I struggle to move today. It's subject to change.
I'm moving from 1 to 2 right now. I value VM's input because I know it is informed.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Dealing with pain is legitimate. Understanding what deals with pain and what cures the underlying condition is important.

My issue has been consistently this. People selling things that make you feel better, as something that can resolve the underlying condition are ignorant at best and evil generally.

In the acute phase of injury there is little aside from rest that is useful. When you move the rehab phase do what ever makes you feel better while addressing the underlying cause.

100% of the time "tight" is not an underlying cause and anyone that tries professes to be an expert and tries to make that case should be immediately rejected and if I'm honest, killed.

Reactions: One-Off

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Dealing with pain is legitimate. Understanding what deals with pain and what cures the underlying condition is important.

My issue has been consistently this. People selling things that make you feel better, as something that can resolve the underlying condition are ignorant at best and evil generally.

In the acute phase of injury there is little aside from rest that is useful. When you move the rehab phase do what ever makes you feel better while addressing the underlying cause.

100% of the time "tight" is not an underlying cause and anyone that tries professes to be an expert and tries to make that case should be immediately rejected and if I'm honest, killed.

Gotcha.
I'll take "feeling better" right now. Real Quick. Sans drugs that keep me from working.

I'll move to cures later.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Problem is when the underlying cause is "Non Specific."

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Problem is when the underlying cause is "Non Specific."
Non specific just means the absence of negative pathology or a set of symptoms that aren't in line with what is seen under imaging for example. With back pain generally being neurologic it's hard to say exactly what is causing it when a person with an identical xray and MRI could be completely pain free......but we know the patient is experiencing near constant pain and while the exact cause of pain isn't known, or even considered particularly useful information, we do know how to treat the patient.

Reactions: Mr J

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Non specific just means the absence of negative pathology or a set of symptoms that aren't in line with what is seen under imaging for example. With back pain generally being neurologic it's hard to say exactly what is causing it when a person with an identical xray and MRI could be completely pain free......but we know the patient is experiencing near constant pain and while the exact cause of pain isn't known, or even considered particularly useful information, we do know how to treat the patient.
Strength training?

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Squat and/or deadlift to help (shite, nearly cure) your lower back pain. 1.5x your body weight is a good goal as VM has mentioned, but hell, I’d imagine being able to squat your body weight 3 sets of 5 reps (with good form) would be enough.

I couldn’t easily find reputable research re: low back pain and strength training (I’m not reading any sh!t published by chiropractors) so here’s some anecdotal evidence for whoever cares. I’m 30 now but had terrible lower back pain/sciatica about 5 years ago, trouble sleeping, could barely get off the couch, hobbled while walking, had to just lay on the floor, etc. After reading VonMeister’s posts over the years about lifting and back pain I finally started lifting about 3 years ago. Started with loosely following Starting Strength routine (never did the program) and within a few weeks I was squatting my body weight for reps and my back pain was gone. Now I’ve learned to enjoy lifting for exercise and back pain prevention and can only think of one or two times I’ve had back pain since I started lifting, but it was much shorter duration and less limiting than it used to be (and the most recent time was overdoing it on deadlifts, since I’m a wimp and don’t do them). Stretching didn’t provide much if any relief. And I guess it’s important to mention, do the lifts with good form, you’ll probably hurt yourself worse otherwise. I’ve probably already posted this in this thread too ha.

VM, I would like to read some studies/research you’ve mentioned, if you’re able to easily find/link them? Not that I need convincing, just curious to read.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
twice a week. 3 sets of 5. first warm-up set, just under bodyweight, then a set at BW, them a set just over BW. slowly increasing weight on the last set.

pissant I know, but it works for me.

I do that with Kettlebells and other posterior chain work, single leg deadlifts with a kettlebell.

no benchpress, I do pull-ups and swissball push-ups on other days.

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
That fits with my case. I had an X-ray of my spine which was ordered by the chiro. I know chiro benefits are questionable, but lets ignore that for now. The image was taken within a couple of weeks of my last back tweak which was the worst I had experienced (couldn't walk down the stairs for a couple of days) and what drove me to seek alt treatment.

I had been googling some images of herniated discs, pancaked discs and was fearing the worst. The X-ray showed nothing at all in the lower back trouble area - all discs looking regular with no uneven gaps between vertebrae. I was a little taken back by how hunched and curved the side view of the spine looked though. Then the chiro pointed out that some discs in my neck region were thinning - even to my untrained eye I could see that was the case, but I wasn't getting any neck pain!

In my case the X-ray did make me feel a little better - nothing horrible looking going on in the lower back discs and helps convince me that the posture exercises and daily life posture adjustments I have made are worth keeping up.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
.. single leg deadlifts with a kettlebell.
maybe better for core stability than usual deadlift. The core strength is not just from lower back and abs, there is the side muscles, plus ability to handle some torsion and the reflexes to do so. I imagine single leg DL would do the side, involve some balance (fire up the reflexes) as well as the other things the regular DL does.

My routine is two sets of the following:
dumbbell reverse flies - really light weight done slow (for posterior shoulder stability).
dumbbell overhead presses,
dumbbell bicep curls,
straight leg, bent over dumbbell tricep extension. Done without using the free arm supported on anything. That way it puts a little load on the lower back and some torsional load too because I do a set for one arm at a time.
Pull ups. 5 or 6 max.
push ups with hand on an exercise ball. Some times with only one leg on floor - to introduce wobble and torsion.
some slow straight leg jack knife thing with hands on the exercise ball.
both legs on exercise ball with one hand on the floor plank thing - has wobble for the reflexes and torsion. Hold that 30 seconds, then do the other arm.
Set of about 6 normal speed surfboard popups on the floor.

This is what I do just once a week, I'm not recommending it or anything like that because I am not qualified to do so and everyone is different. Its just what I do, some of it prescribed to me. I have picked it up from more than one health professional and also just made some stuff up too. Nothing direct for the legs, but I'm skateboarding and on a good day of surfing my legs get worked a bit then.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Nothing will build core strength better than the low bar squat and a regular old deadlift. It is physically impossible to do either without maximally stressing all the muscles that make up the colloquial "core".

If you want visible abs, get strong enough to be able to overhead press your bodyweight.

Reactions: Havoc