10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
All bullshit
I dunno man. I couldn't suck my dick before I started stretching and now I'm pretty damn close. Must be an optical illusion?

I still find it hard to believe that flexibility doesn't help. Last time I hurt ]left hamstring it changed my gate which put more pressure on my knees leading to knee problems. When the tightness of the hamstring released the knee problems went away.

How is that bullshit?

Also had a friend playing lacrosse in an ankle brace which completely restricted range of motion. He planted on that ankle and instead of the ankle flexing as it should, all that pressure went right into his knee. Ended up dislocating his kneecap with a fracture and tears of the ACL and MCL. Again, I find it hard to believe the restricted range of motion in the ankle didn't at the least contribute to the knee injury.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Don't listen to this dumbass VomMeister.

Listen to a master kinesiologist.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Basically what VM is saying-

Substitute shoulder for ankle, and 58 for 40, and this is what I was told months ago -

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Basically what VM is saying-

Substitute shoulder for ankle, and 58 for 40, and this is what I was told months ago -
I think we can all agree that movement is medicine when it comes to the back. Except in my case where I fucked the SI joint from a hard fall and not doing anything was the perfect cure :)... and someone else I know who ignored his low back pain, kept going hard resulting in the disc literally bursting, and then having to get surgery to remove the fluid that had encrusted around his nerves... but ya, in most cases don't see a dr.

I think the biggest thing I've learned from this thread is that there's not one prescription to fix all back injuries, and that all back injuries are definitely not the same.... some aren't injuries at all.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I dunno man. I couldn't suck my dick before I started stretching and now I'm pretty damn close. Must be an optical illusion?

I still find it hard to believe that flexibility doesn't help. Last time I hurt ]left hamstring it changed my gate which put more pressure on my knees leading to knee problems. When the tightness of the hamstring released the knee problems went away.

How is that bullshit?

Also had a friend playing lacrosse in an ankle brace which completely restricted range of motion. He planted on that ankle and instead of the ankle flexing as it should, all that pressure went right into his knee. Ended up dislocating his kneecap with a fracture and tears of the ACL and MCL. Again, I find it hard to believe the restricted range of motion in the ankle didn't at the least contribute to the knee injury.
What is flexibility? it's certainly not a medical term nor is it used in any real clinical setting. What is tightness? It's not a medical term that described joint health either. The only thing I can come up with is you believe you have an issue accessing full range of motion in a specific joint. If this is to be accepted as true you either have:

A. A serious neurological issue
B. A serious structural pathology that will most certainly require surgery or at the very least immobilization and external fixation.
C. An unrealistic idea of what normal range of motion is for that specific joint.

Which is most likely?

I think you perceived something going on with your hamstrings and knees. For instance. For years people would get knee pain and blame it on the iliotibial band. It even got a fancy name Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Practitioners and people went out and bought foam rollers and lacrosse balls and started rolling the outside of their side in hopes of alleviating the pain. The only problem is the Iliotibial band is as flexible as a thick leather belt and does not stretch (just like most soft tissues in your body). As it turns out self sucking kinseologits like GBG's were lying to sell their bullshit and the pain associated with the IT band was simply a result of glute weakness and was easily cures with simple exercises. If you are walking funny from an injury like a hamstring pull you can certainly increase stress on a different muscle or joint group. To resolve it you just walk normally. It works like magic every time....which is what you experienced when your hamstring healed.

Reactions: Havoc and encladd

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Yes, listen to you self suck coach, when decades or medical research have proven him to be an asshole.
I'm not listening to any of you assholes! :ROFLMAO:

But seriously my brother did burst a disc and had to have surgery to clean it out. Disc healed on its own but the fluid remained crusted around the area and hardened on the nerves. It was one of the rare back injury cases where surgery was a good call. He's right as rain today. He's floating around these boards somewhere. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i think stretching has a time and place for sure. at the end of the day - it feels good so why not? I dont think its wise to do before you surf or workout but fine after.

everyone is different but for me personally - any time i tweak my back once every couple years) - the more exercise I do the faster it goes away. thats not to say im busting deadlifts the day after i tweak it but within a few days im trying to lift again whatever I can comfortabley and I work my way back up.

the most important thing is dont stop moving. the couch is your worst enemy when your back is in pain. ymmv.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but since 8 out of 10 of us will suffer this malady here is some more info-

from this study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5769319/

Note the bold (my emphasis). It kind of goes back to what encladd said-

Patients should be instructed to continue their usual physical activities as much as possible (??, [14]). Systematic reviews of RCTs have shown that bed rest for patients with acute non-specific low back pain either has no effect or actually delays recovery and the resumption of everyday activities, leading to longer periods of medically excused absence from work (14, 15). Bed rest should not be a part of the treatment of non-specific low back pain, and patients should be advised against it (??, [14, 15]).
Exercise therapy combined with educative measures based on behavioral-therapeutic principles should be used in the primary treatment of chronic non-specific low back pain (??, [16, e14–e38]). It yields more effective pain reduction and better functional ability than can be achieved with general medical care and passive treatment measures (16, e14e34). Programs for strengthening and stabilizing the musculature seem to relieve low back pain better than programs with a cardiopulmonary orientation (e35, e36). Reviews of RCTs have shown that exercise programs based on a behavior-therapeutic approach improve physical functional ability and speed up the return to work (e22, e37). Current evidence does not show which specific type of exercise therapy is best for pain relief and improved functional ability (e14e34). The choice of exercise therapy is, therefore, based mainly on the patient’s preference, everyday life circumstances, and physical fitness and the availability of a qualified therapist to carry it out (e39).
Weaker recommendations are given for rehabilitative sports and functional training (?, expert consensus) and progressive muscle relaxation (?, [e40]). Self-administered heat therapy (?, [15, e41–e43]), manual therapies such as manipulation and mobilization (?, [e44–e47]), massage (?, [17, e34, e48, e49]), ergotherapy (?, [e50]), “back school” (?, [17, e51–e54]), and acupuncture (?, [e28, e55–e57]) can be used to treat chronic low back pain as part of an overall concept in combination with activating therapeutic measures.
Strongly negative recommendations are given with regard to interventions for which there is little or no evidence of benefit, even if there is no evidence of harm either. This is done so as not to imply that these methods are an acceptable alternative to maintaining physical activity; a passive approach to treatment should not be promoted. The authors of the guideline, considering this to be a relevant potential harm, have altered the recommendation strengths accordingly. These interventions, while discouraged, may still be used in individual cases, in combination with physical exercise, as long as there is no evidence that they cause harm. Negative recommendations are given for interference-current therapy (e58e62), kinesiotaping (e63, e64), short-wave diathermy (e65e68), laser therapy (17, e69), magnetic field therapy (e70), medical aids (e71e74), percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (PENS) (17, e75), traction devices (17, e76), cryotherapy (e41), transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), and therapeutic ultrasound (e77, e78).

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
What is flexibility? it's certainly not a medical term nor is it used in any real clinical setting. What is tightness? It's not a medical term that described joint health either... .
I am not a medical professional and do not know whether "flexible" and "tight" are correct medical terms or not. So I am just being the messenger here when I say that some of the qualified medical professionals who have treated me have used the term "tight" to describe a certain part of me. I have also been prescribed stretches by some of them.

This is a lower back problem thread, so I will give an example relevant to this topic. Every 3 weeks I get a deep tissue massage along with a chiropractic adjustment at the same chiro clinic. Two of the massage therapists who worked/work there have independently noticed that the top front of my thigh gets tight. It gets tight from the way I enjoys my sports.

One of them explained that when this gets too tight it can cause the lower back to arch too much which is not good for posture. There has been a lot of emphasis on correcting my posture at the clinic. The masseurs prescribed me stretches (I think they gave different types - I only remember one of the stretches which I continue to do regularly).

I have also been given a simple flexibility test on a few occasions, although I can't honestly remember if the word flexible was used. One of those occasions was when I was getting followed up for a posterior dislocation of my shoulder (skateboard accident), Unlike an anterior dislocation to that same shoulder which happened many years earlier and required surgery to re-attach stuff that had got torn from the bone, the posterior dislocation left things remarkably intact - no torn labrum or anything. I was told by the physio (follow up to my A&E treatment), that my shoulder was "stable" after a stability test was performed - the term "stable" used. When I seemed surprised (I was fearing bad news) the physio qualified it with "well just as stable as your other shoulder", my other shoulder has not had any injuries like that. It was noted that my whole structure was generally on the "lax" side - I think, but not sure that term used, however lets not get hung up on words. Lax joints makes me prone to dislocations. I was given a quick touch the toes with straight legs test to help confirm that or not - in my layman's terms I took this to be a simple flexibility test.

So my experiences are that some things can get too "tight" for which stretching is appropriate and some things can get too "lax" for which stretching is not prescribed - for the latter situation weight/resistance training and muscle reflex training was prescribed.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
i think stretching has a time and place for sure. at the end of the day - it feels good so why not? I dont think its wise to do before you surf or workout but fine after.
… .
Two of the massage therapists who treat me have wholeheartedly agreed that the best time to stretch when correcting something that is too tight is immediately after exercise and not before. I have been offered two different regimens for post exercise stretch.
1. Hold stretch for 10 seconds. Do 5 sets of this.
2. Hold stretch for 30 seconds, Do 2 sets of this.

The one who suggested regimen 2 thought it was better than 1 because the reflex action of a muscle is to resist the stretch, but if the stretch continues for enough time then the body realises no harm is being done and relaxes which further lengthens the stretch.

I tried gbg's cross legged stretch and I liked it. I do get tight in the hips - they get a lot of attention when I get a massage. Now that my back is healthy I can try these random things and its not going to hurt me.

The nice thing about weight/resistance training, stretching etc is that it gets me more in touch with how my body operates and I can get a feel for what an exercise or stretch is doing for me. However, when I was in that fragile state (over 10 yrs ago) and was in the first stages of chiro treatment I was told by the chiro that I was not to do any stretches other than that prescribed and even bending forward going about every day life was to be avoided. However that same chiropractor recently gave me the bend over and touch the toes test.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I am not a medical professional and do not know whether "flexible" and "tight" are correct medical terms or not. So I am just being the messenger here when I say that some of the qualified medical professionals who have treated me have used the term "tight" to describe a certain part of me. I have also been prescribed stretches by some of them.
They are not medical professionals.

This is a lower back problem thread, so I will give an example relevant to this topic. Every 3 weeks I get a deep tissue massage along with a chiropractic adjustment at the same chiro clinic. Two of the massage therapists who worked/work there have independently noticed that the top front of my thigh gets tight. It gets tight from the way I enjoys my sports.
Ask them about when your dick gets tight. They are qualified...Im sure. Have you made a prostate inquiry?

One of them explained that when this gets too tight it can cause the lower back to arch too much which is not good for posture. There has been a lot of emphasis on correcting my posture at the clinic. The masseurs prescribed me stretches (I think they gave different types - I only remember one of the stretches which I continue to do regularly).
These people are assholes. You should stop seeing them.

I have also been given a simple flexibility test on a few occasions, although I can't honestly remember if the word flexible was used. One of those occasions was when I was getting followed up for a posterior dislocation of my shoulder (skateboard accident), Unlike an anterior dislocation to that same shoulder which happened many years earlier and required surgery to re-attach stuff that had got torn from the bone, the posterior dislocation left things remarkably intact - no torn labrum or anything. I was told by the physio (follow up to my A&E treatment), that my shoulder was "stable" after a stability test was performed - the term "stable" used. When I seemed surprised (I was fearing bad news) the physio qualified it with "well just as stable as your other shoulder", my other shoulder has not had any injuries like that. It was noted that my whole structure was generally on the "lax" side - I think, but not sure that term used, however lets not get hung up on words. Lax joints makes me prone to dislocations. I was given a quick touch the toes with straight legs test to help confirm that or not - in my layman's terms I took this to be a simple flexibility test.
I'm sorry. I couldn't finish reading this...but I'm positive it's bullshit. All the jargon they told you is bullshit and made-up.

So my experiences are that some things can get too "tight" for which stretching is appropriate and some things can get too "lax" for which stretching is not prescribed - for the latter situation weight/resistance training and muscle reflex training was prescribed.
Tight is not a medical term nor can it describe healthy or non healthy joints or tissue. You should send your professionals over to my house and I will beat them and tell them to never repeat their bullshit again. I will make them apologize to you. Unfortunately whatever money you gave them is lost forever. Too bad you didn't give this money to the homeless.

• Dislike
Reactions: Havoc and Mr J

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

You're right. Don't listen to me. Listen to every medical opinion and study performed over the last decade.

Also, unfortunately for you, there's no such thing as a master kinesiologist. It's akin to those Akito karate guys who take guys down with hand gestures and evil stares.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc