10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Never had lower back issues until a little over a year ago. Was sitting on my surfboard after spending about 6 hours in the water for about the third day in a row that day and while sitting I turned and felt a little pop or click. No real pain at that moment but I started tightening up right away. The next day I had a 3 hour drive followed by a 4 hour flight and another hour and a half drive. When I got home I could hardly walk. It took about 8 weeks for that to go away but it did.

Fast forward to about a month ago. A couple of times I've felt that little click pop I mentioned above when turning. I started waking up in the morning with my lower back sore and locked up. By 9:00 in the morning I feel fine but every morning lately I wake up stiff and sore.

Wonder if my workout routine is part of the issue. Probably going to buy a new mattress in hopes that provides some relief. I'm overdue anyway.

I do quite a bit of this at the gym and wonder if this is part of the issue.

Your mattress and your workout aren't causing pain. Posture as a source of lower back pain has been endlessly debunked and the positions in the graphics you posted are perfectly normal and healthy positions for the lumbar spine to be in.

Many times click, pops, stingers, random pain is nothing to be concerned with and will go away on its own. What makes it troublesome is that we immediately associate this pain with something being wrong and then begin to reduce activity and range of motion and "baby" our backs. This is just a mental cue to be in pain and build that pain highway from the nerves which are responsible for the generally benign signal and your brain which is reading it a pain and causing anxiety. See above with the poster still feeling the same old pain signals after surgery. Your brain has learned that stressor and isn't going to let go if it until you decide to let it go.

Be active and don't fret doing things that have your body in perfectly normal positions. Getting old is going to have some aches and pains along the way and they will always resolve themselves in due time. If you're in pain be as active as pain allows and keep a positive outlook. it will do wonders for you.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Your mattress and your workout aren't causing pain. Posture as a source of lower back pain has been endlessly debunked and the positions in the graphics you posted are perfectly normal and healthy positions for the lumbar spine to be in.

Many times click, pops, stingers, random pain is nothing to be concerned with and will go away on its own. What makes it troublesome is that we immediately associate this pain with something being wrong and then begin to reduce activity and range of motion and "baby" our backs. This is just a mental cue to be in pain and build that pain highway from the nerves which are responsible for the generally benign signal and your brain which is reading it a pain and causing anxiety. See above with the poster still feeling the same old pain signals after surgery. Your brain has learned that stressor and isn't going to let go if it until you decide to let it go.

Be active and don't fret doing things that have your body in perfectly normal positions. Getting old is going to have some aches and pains along the way and they will always resolve themselves in due time. If you're in pain be as active as pain allows and keep a positive outlook. it will do wonders for you.
The other thing I've noticed is that if I'm on my feet for an extended period of time my lower back will start screaming at me. If I sit down its fine.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The other thing I've noticed is that if I'm on my feet for an extended period of time my lower back will start screaming at me. If I sit down its fine.
I think that's the case for everyone. Being generally static and on your feet for a period of time can get uncomfortable. I wouldn't consider it an indicator of anything being wrong. In the olden days keeping people in static positions, like sitting upright in a chair was a method of torture.

All the noise about safety or posture or invisible adhesions or whatever nonsense influencers and charlatans are peddling today is just creating the conditions for stress and pain if you are conditioned to receive these messages.

Being more optimistic about the bodies resilience and ability to adapt to just about anything is the best first aid you'll ever receive.

Reactions: PRCD and tacos