10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Saw the neurosurgeon who specializes in the spine yesterday. He showed me the piece of disc material that broke off and is floating around. Quite large, about the size of your thumb nail. My L4-L5 is almost bone to bone on one side.

He said he could slice me open and remove the floating disc if I wanted, however, he said that we should wait and see how it progresses. If my calf starts to atrophy then I will need to do something about it. He told me to measure the widest part of my calves and continue to do so every week to keep an eye on things. Wrote me a prescription for a PT guy in San Pedro who he claims is the best guy around named Michael O'Donnell, Harbor Physical Therapy. I'm going to see what he has to say.

Surgeon said not to do anything at the moment that might "pop the disc" more, such as jogging or weight lifting. :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Saw the neurosurgeon who specializes in the spine yesterday. He showed me the piece of disc material that broke off and is floating around. Quite large, about the size of your thumb nail. My L4-L5 is almost bone to bone on one side.

He said he could slice me open and remove the floating disc if I wanted, however, he said that we should wait and see how it progresses. If my calf starts to atrophy then I will need to do something about it. He told me to measure the widest part of my calves and continue to do so every week to keep an eye on things. Wrote me a prescription for a PT guy in San Pedro who he claims is the best guy around named Michael O'Donnell, Harbor Physical Therapy. I'm going to see what he has to say.

Surgeon said not to do anything at the moment that might "pop the disc" more, such as jogging or weight lifting. :mad:
What did he say could happen if you wait? Can the disc, where it's bone to bone, grow back? Did you ask the MD?
I know both you and VM said the floating fragment can dissolve...hope you find a remedy. But you r back doesn't hurt, right?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
What did he say could happen if you wait? Can the disc, where it's bone to bone, grow back? Did you ask the MD?
I know both you and VM said the floating fragment can dissolve...hope you find a remedy. But you r back doesn't hurt, right?
The problem is my calf could atrophy and have permanent nerve damage and not get the strength back. He didn’t say I would be getting that space back Where it’s almost bone to bone. He did mention he could do something about it at the same time if he had to go in and remove the floating disc material.

I have no pain at all right now. I can pretty much do anything but have the limitations of my left calf not being able to carry its load.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Discs don't "grow back".
Disc material that has been bulged out of position can be reabsorbed, but the disc doesn't reverse course from degeneration (Yes, everyone experiences disc degeneration). It's all a measure of if the nerve is impacted (judging by the calf issue, it's impacted) and whether the discomfort is enough to warrant the risk of surgery.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Discs don't "grow back".
Disc material that has been bulged out of position can be reabsorbed, but the disc doesn't reverse course from degeneration (Yes, everyone experiences disc degeneration). It's all a measure of if the nerve is impacted (judging by the calf issue, it's impacted) and whether the discomfort is enough to warrant the risk of surgery.
How are you Bob? You went through a really rough patch. How's your post-op been?

But ruptured discs heal, right? Are they more prone to rupture or is maybe the scar tissue tougher than the original tissue. I have no idea.

Feral, besides removing the floating material, what could the surgeon do? Disc replacement?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Discs don't "grow back".
Totally wrong. The tissues between the vertebrae are not disks at all but are living, adaptable force transducers. They change in response to stimuli (ie, exercise). Several people on here are proof of that. Just like bones and other tissues in your body, they can be made more healthy through movement, diet, and exercise. Everyone's LAFTs look tattered: we age like trees. There are rarely effects from this. Sometimes they impinge on nerves, often this impingement improves completely on its own.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Totally wrong. The tissues between the vertebrae are not disks at all but are living, adaptable force transducers. They change in response to stimuli (ie, exercise). Several people on here are proof of that. Just like bones and other tissues in your body, they can be made more healthy through movement, diet, and exercise. Everyone's LAFTs look tattered: we age like trees. There are rarely effects from this. Sometimes they impinge on nerves, often this impingement improves completely on its own.

Maybe you're right.
FUck if I know

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
How are you Bob? You went through a really rough patch. How's your post-op been?

But ruptured discs heal, right? Are they more prone to rupture or is maybe the scar tissue tougher than the original tissue. I have no idea.

Feral, besides removing the floating material, what could the surgeon do? Disc replacement?
Not sure. Removing that floating piece of disc should take the pressure off the nerve. As for the other issue on my right side I am not sure what he would do. I am assuming some of the bone would be cut out to give some more space to the nerve in that area.

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Not sure. Removing that floating piece of disc should take the pressure off the nerve. As for the other issue on my right side I am not sure what he would do. I am assuming some of the bone would be cut out to give some more space to the nerve in that area.
They can bore through the bone to rechannel the nerve/release impingement/relieve pain numbness and loss of muscle control.

At least that's what they did to me.

The lost calf muscle/nerve business has left the building.

I :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::nana::monkey::shameonyou: at people who come on here thinking they know more than neurosurgeons cause they lift weights.

My neuro lifts too ya know?

He said to STAY AWAY FROM THE WEIGHTS when you're spine is structurally damaged. But what does he know right? I mean, he prolly lifts less than the bots here, and knows he can't take Mike Tyson, so, at least he's honest and has some shred of reality still going for him, right?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Lift your way out of structural spinal issues, you guys would be funny, if the advice you give couldn't leave some trusting poor soul with spinal problems in a wheelchair for life, ya know?

:unsure:

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Here's something I do for general back pain relief, which though amazingly simple, free and readily available to all, many may have never even considered.

Act like a bear cub.

Yeah. Just as the monks who copied animals for their physical excersizes, in order to be able to meditate longer, do as the bear do.

Find a rounded edge of your house, or a tree in your (a) garden, and use your own body weight to rub up against said rounded edge. It not only gives you the back scratching of a lifetime, only you know how to reach the place that really itches; but in displacing your weight (very lightly if injured) against the surface (tree, corner, post, etc) from the neck down to the hips, on either side of the spine, you will immediately pinpoint the injured area and save a lot of time, and in the US money, in diagnosis.

If not injured, let it rip.

Also, go to the floor, roll around like a bear cub, and play like you used to when you were a child. Pets help a ton with this last one.

Hydrate, eat well, sleep well (proper hours, position, depth of slumber, etc) and move.

I'll leave the heavy lifting advice to the local ex-spurts.

:shaka:

Reactions: Mr J

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Here's something I do for general back pain relief, which though amazingly simple, free and readily available to all, many may have never even considered.

Act like a bear cub.

Yeah. Just as the monks who copied animals for their physical excersizes, in order to be able to meditate longer, do as the bear do.

Find a rounded edge of your house, or a tree in your (a) garden, and use your own body weight to rub up against said rounded edge. It not only gives you the back scratching of a lifetime, only you know how to reach the place that really itches; but in displacing your weight (very lightly if injured) against the surface (tree, corner, post, etc) from the neck down to the hips, on either side of the spine, you will immediately pinpoint the injured area and save a lot of time, and in the US money, in diagnosis.

If not injured, let it rip.

Also, go to the floor, roll around like a bear cub, and play like you used to when you were a child. Pets help a ton with this last one.

Hydrate, eat well, sleep well (proper hours, position, depth of slumber, etc) and move.

I'll leave the heavy lifting advice to the local ex-spurts.

:shaka:
So roll around on the floor growling, default on all your financial obligations, find a vibrating mountain for vibrating healings, then make your whole and complete online existence about smoking weed....because as an older adult you want to sound edgy. Sounds like a perfect plan.

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
So roll around on the floor growling, default on all your financial obligations, find a vibrating mountain for vibrating healings, then make your whole and complete online existence about smoking weed....because as an older adult you want to sound edgy. Sounds like a perfect plan.

yeah, edgy is my middle name.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

it's funny because, well you'd have to meat me to my face to understand.

edgy, christ this place is the goods!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
They can bore through the bone to rechannel the nerve/release impingement/relieve pain numbness and loss of muscle control.

I :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::nana::monkey::shameonyou: at people who come on here thinking they know more than neurosurgeons cause they lift weights.

He said to STAY AWAY FROM THE WEIGHTS when you're spine is structurally damaged. But what does he know right? I mean, he prolly lifts less than the bots here, and knows he can't take Mike Tyson, so, at least he's honest and has some shred of reality still going for him, right?

Lift your way out of structural spinal issues, you guys would be funny, if the advice you give couldn't leave some trusting poor soul with spinal problems in a wheelchair for life, ya know?

Lift weights.

Don't lift heavier than your spine can handle.

But lift weights.

Keep signal the systems that you need to be strong.

Reactions: tacos

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

It sounds like you partially understood what your Neuro told you , just like you partially understand what folks have been advising on this thread. I realize it's 50 pages long, but if you had read through it, you would realize that your understanding of the advice given is limited.

Not judging you, just saying you didn't do your homework.

One thing you should understand is that when you get to my age (about to turn 60) 90% of folks have structural damage, but probably 95 % of the structural damage does not preclude strength training, contrary to what you understood your neuro to suggest (I do wonder about the 10% who don't have "degenerative disc disease," what did they do right?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Assumptions, ass u n me thingy?

Understood, and continue to understand on follow up visits.

My degeneration had much to do with a past history of traumatic automobile, sk8 and then the final straw surfing when I broke L4/L5/S1.

But yeah, I will ignore the neurosurgeon guy who is teaching the top guys from the top hospitals around the globe's advice and listen to a guy who knows nothing about me, and tells me to lift my way out of pain.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou::shameonyou::shameonyou:

It WOULD be friggin hilarious, if you weren't such a danger to others health with your free internet advice.

I know, i know, i misunderstood again.

You're not a doctor, you just play one on an interweb forum.

:crazy2:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Assumptions, ass u n me thingy?

Understood, and continue to understand on follow up visits.

My degeneration had much to do with a past history of traumatic automobile, sk8 and then the final straw surfing when I broke L4/L5/S1.

But yeah, I will ignore the neurosurgeon guy who is teaching the top guys from the top hospitals around the globe's advice and listen to a guy who knows nothing about me, and tells me to lift my way out of pain.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou::shameonyou::shameonyou:

It WOULD be friggin hilarious, if you weren't such a danger to others health with your free internet advice.

I know, i know, i misunderstood again.

You're not a doctor, you just play one on an interweb forum.

:crazy2:
You seem really defensive. Maybe go burn another one down before you continue reading...I mean that in a friendly way (insert bouncing head reefer madness emoji here).

If you've paid any attention to this thread you would have discerned that I have never really given any advice. I come here to get advice. Some of the advice I was given was strength training and specifically barbell training. This advice, given by others, was never given without caveats. I doubt Von Meister has a blanket training plan that is the same for everyone. It's probably more like Greg Griffin fins- designed for the particular board.

My problem was when you said, "He said to STAY AWAY FROM THE WEIGHTS when you're (sic) spine is structurally damaged." He probably said this with with regards to your specific case but you presented it as a general truth. That statement, as a general rule, is flat out wrong. I'm not saying it's wrong for your situation, or for Bob Dobbalina's, or Feralseppo's. I would not and did not disregard my MDs before embarking on my rehab routine. But for the majority of spinal structural damage, AKA degenerative disc disease, AKA normal wear and tear, strength training is the best RX.
Havoc and I have disagreements about the dosage :trout: but not the RX. Lifted my toddler weights this PM and feel good.

strength training for back pain

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc